Orlando Stadium Discussion

Discussion in 'Orlando City SC' started by Macsen, Mar 7, 2010.

1. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't see a Empire Field like solution, but I'll be happy for it to happen.

2. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    What's that?

3. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A temporary, modular stadium like the Whitecaps played in while BC Place was being renovated.

[​IMG]

4. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think of Bright House Networks Stadium with half the total capacity, but 2,000% more actual seats.

5. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Tinker field being used?

6. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering it's right next to the Citrus Bowl, using it during construction would be unwise.

7. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    So NYC is making progress it seems. What would need to happen for Rawlins to be able to disclose a stadium deal? I know he has an agreement with MLS and whatnot to not reveal, but what would be needed for him to be able to let people know where he is looking?

8. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't we have this conversation already?

[​IMG]

9. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In all fairness, Kenn, it wouldn't take much to build a passible SSS at Tinker Field. The problem is, they'll need that space to stage materials for the reconstruction.

10. WorldGame

WorldGame Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Orlando
    Tinker Field also has the National Historic Registry aspect that makes it a non-starter. And that collegiate summer (baseball) league is back to hosting a team at Tinker, this summer at least.

Besides, in all the hoopla earlier this week about the Citrus Bowl deal, the city and county reps and the news writers made at least one passing mention each to "...attracting a Major League Soccer franchise..." as one of the presumed many/countless/bountiful/plethora/endless blessings of a fully refurb'ed Citrus Bowl. And just to clarify, as much as I'd love to have MLS here one day, my point is they couldn't give half a flip about a pro soccer team. But it's perfectly fine to hype the idea if it's a rent-paying tenant that helps pay the bills for the rest of the CB's annual schedule not already committed to NCAA games, NCAA bowl games, the barely 24-hours old NCAA Championship game, a few out-of-market NFL regular season games, and two handfuls of music events. Then they can get around to letting the MLS team schedule a few MLS matches.

11. WorldGame

WorldGame Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Orlando
    I love it when some relevant bit of stuff happens just as you're about to click "Log Out."

This is in today's Wall St. Journal: "Pro Soccer Nearing Net in Flushing" (link:http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303640804577491090757743910.html#printMode)

In short, Garber announced that MLS (the league itself) has decided on the hunk of land it wants for MLS-NYC, and that the league will finance and build the new soccer park itself, and then find the owners to pay for the team and stadium. Garber used the "...not if, but when..." line about OCSC when he was in town a couple months back---but does this rush toward MLS-NYC force anything/everything OCSC might accomplish to second place (no matter what Rawlins said in the Guardian one week ago (fyi:http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jun/20/mls-orlando-city-franchise-phil-rawlins?newsfeed=true ))?

12. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. We all know Garber is on that wild goose chase in NYC, and that takes precedence over everything else.

I find it hilarious that the league is paying for the stadium when they have no owner, team or even a proven fan base.

13. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking at this from outside is funny how people think ORL would actually be the 20th team.

Number 1 market is NY and if you are looking at attendance and stadium situations San Antonio is way ahead of ORL.

Garber came down to Miami and it doesn't mean jack $hit.

14. FLSoccerGran

FLSoccerGran BigSoccer Supporter

Liverpool
    United States
    Feb 2, 2005
    Poinciana, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As both an Orlando and DC United fan you can't even imagine how angry this makes me!

15. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No it won't. What? Besides, if they announce a new NYC team at a MLS All-Star game in Philly, there will be a riot. Geez.

17. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe the investor of DC United should give the Don a wake-up call and threaten to move to Orlando when the Citrus Bowl renovation is done if the league does go ahead with plans to finance the NYC2 stadium themselves.

Still extremely preliminary. No guarantees.

Quit bringing your lonely wet dreams into our forum. We're tired of calling the Servpro fronton in Auburndale after your visits.

18. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is a problem. And I wasn't talking about building an SSS at Tinker Field. I was talking about using Tinker Field, which would be unrealistic. If you think Al Lang is a less-than-optimal venue for soccer, a small baseball stadium that will be 100 years old in 2014 (I don't know when or if it was renovated, I'm sure it's not the same structure as 1914) would be very, very bad. The place does not appear to be in good shape and the way it's constructed would make it a really bad place to watch a soccer game.

Now, sure, if you wanted to bring in stands in the outfield and do some infrastructure stuff, I would imagine you could have a place to play, but I don't think it would be easy and I don't think the results would be very pleasing to the ticket-buying public.

And, obviously, having your games while construction is going on would make it a non-starter anyway (though the SPBA's Juice played games while some reno was going on back in 1989-90. Not that the Juice drew anybody.)

19. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's only because it's New York. The single biggest problem is a stadium situation in what is probably the hardest place in the country to get it done (though Washingtonians might disagree). They do not believe (and they may very well be right) that finding an owner will be an issue. And in the largest metro area in the country, where 79,000+ can and have shown up for high-level soccer, I am sure they believe a fan base exists. A fan base for MLS - when we know there's a significant gap - may very well not support two teams. We don't know. They believe it.

Says the guy who said months ago that New York would be "wrapped up" any day now because they met with the mayor.

You do know these are different companies, right? They don't work in concert on things like this?

20 probably isn't the final number, but it's certainly the next number. I wouldn't expect 30, but I wouldn't be surprised with 24. In any case, they're going to do what's best for their business and not what you'd like to see.

20. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    50,000+ shows up for "high-level soccer" in Miami, but they still can't draw flies for local teams. (I'm talking about Miami, not Fort Lauderdale, and I'm sure Striker Likers would agree on that.)

And you can refer to Gran's comment for the DC thing. It is as difficult to build in DC as NYC. And United fans will be up in arms at this idea.

On Tinker Field: They haven't touched the place since the AA team left in 1999. And I've said it before: the fact that they ignored it in DMP3 is a crime. There is no reason to put it on the National Register if it's just going to sit there and rot.

21. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And New York has three times as many people as Miami's MSA. I'm not saying it's what I believe. I'm saying it's what they believe.

As they should be. But soccer fans get up in arms about anything that renders the situation less than absolutely perfect for them, and everybody else can sod off, in their minds.

22. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In their case it's a matter of fairness. Why should a second NYC team that doesn't yet exist (and as of yet isn't guaranteed to ever exist) get a spankin' new stadium at the league's expense when they don't have one?

23. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because life isn't fair.

Because there's no constitutional guarantee that a big-ass market of 19 million people - full of entrepreneurs and money people and ways around red tape - won't bigfoot someone whose elected officials won't get off their asses and do something.

That's how it works. People standing with scarves and beers who whine about their lot in life don't see how it works.

Fair? That's pretty ********ing funny. There is no ********ing fair.

24. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, it's no big deal with me. Unfortunately, we live in a society these days where "fairness" is what the powers that be are interested in. I'm only saying they're going to complain.

25. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fyp.