News: Orlando Sharks Pull Out for the 2009 season

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by livesoccernews, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Redknapp11

Redknapp11 New Member

Jan 1, 2001
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    I wouldn't say that.... surely he and I did things a little differently but I'm just tired of getting labled for things that had nothing to do with me.

2. pubujams

pubujams New Member

Nov 23, 2008
    Did the Sharks never try to play home games at
    the Milk House at Disney's Wide World of Sports Complex?
    Or even look at Disney for sponsorship.
    Or ask the league if they could play all their first season games away/on the road,
    so they would still be involved in the inaugural season.
    Keeping the staff on and having a community program in a good idea.

3. Phil Cheesesteak

Phil Cheesesteak New Member

Oct 27, 2008
    we don't know if they tried to do that.

i would imagine everybody and their brother and their brother's cousin's girlfriend's roommate asks disney for sponsorship. i would imagine they don't act on all the requests they get.

that would have been the dumbest thing they could have possibly done on the face of the earth.

as if that's a big deal.

sure, as long as you can pay for it. i'm not sure they can (or want to) indefinitely.

4. Cohnny

Cohnny New Member

Oct 22, 2008
    I don't think the things they have going on really cost them anything and if they do they are spending money to make money.

Students at the University of Central Florida run after school programs for school credit.
    The camps cost money for the facilities and what not but they at least make their money back on those.

And they only have to get to november 09 with the idle operations.

5. Phil Cheesesteak

Oct 27, 2008
    soooooo....they're not paying decent salaries to staff, paying their payroll taxes and benefits and suchlike? great deal. i wouldn't play games, either, if i could get away with having a team and a staff and not having it cost me anything.

short time when it's not your money. really long time when it is your money.

6. Cohnny

Cohnny New Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Why are you being so confrontational.

they are owned by a larger company
    If I understand it right its like this:
    BVC Corporation>>BVC Sports & Entertainment>>Orlando Sharks

my friend there is working on a few things other than Sharks stuff

7. Phil Cheesesteak

Oct 27, 2008
    because you're incredibly frigging naive, that's why

some very large companies are laying people off left and right, or hadn't you noticed that?

doesn't matter how large the company is that owns them. it makes zero economic sense to remain at a certain level of staffing and say that everything is peachy keen for more than a year when you have no ticket revenue (your main budget line item) coming in. none. zero.

even if you do choose to do it, it certainly isn't true that it isn't "really costing them anything." or that twelve months isn't a long time.

again, unless it's opm.

8. Cohnny

Cohnny New Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Re: because you're incredibly frigging naive, that's why

looks like you have research to do and you should pay attention to my words a little bit better if you're going to attack what I say. I said they are owned by a larger company, not one that would fall into your description. You should also note that they don't have a very large full time staff in the first place.

I'm not sure what you are referring to here, the two community events I mentioned do not cost them much.

You can argue for argument's sake all you want, you are wrong on this so please feel free to quit posting on the subject.

9. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I once saw a guy on tv. It was an old variety type show from the 50's or 60's and this guy would put a plate on a stick and spin it like a top. Then he'd move on to the next plate, spin that. Then a 3rd, and a 4th. Well the guy had about 8-9 plates all spinning away and he had to keep running faster and faster and faster trying to keep them all spinning. Now the crowd would cheer and yell as one plate after another would slow down and really start to wobble before he'd charge over to it and keep it spinning.

Sham is spinning a lot of plates under the BVC company. Some of them are really starting to wobble. The plate marked 'Orlando Sharks' might be the first to fall. Just like the guy from the tv show finally the work of spinning all these plates overwhelms the spinner. The plates start to fall.

Look out below Orlando.........

10. GoStorm

GoStorm Member

Oct 24, 2008
    I saw one of those guys on "The Bozo show"
    Thats one of those professions that makes you think hmmmmm...
    how do you decide to become a plate spinner?? do you wake up one a day and think I am going to spin some plates on sticks and be the best at it
    although...it must have been a good gig if they make it to TV
    and now a days, a job is a job, if you make a living plate spinning, more power to that

11. Gareth

Gareth Member

Dec 13, 2000
    Its never a good sign when the parent company of your team is run by a guy that according to news reports on him has him being investigated for "millions of dollars of fraud".

12. Tom Higginson

Tom Higginson Member

Jan 12, 2000
    That's an excellent illustration and from experience (not plates, business), it's the wobbly one that disproportionately consumes the bulk of your time. We have 17 facilities, whoops 18 now, and the two or three that lose money probably consume 50% of our time. Much as you saw your plate spinner running around focused on the wobbly ones. By getting rid of a wobbly Orlando he and the larger organization have more time to focus on other trouble spots.

13. Phil Cheesesteak

Oct 27, 2008
    but, tom....orlando's coming back, didn't you hear that? they're not dead, they're just pining for the fjords.

14. Dave K

Dave K Member

Jan 9, 2000
    Gloucester, NJ
    Can the team come back if the owner is in prison?

15. skipper60601

skipper60601 Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but the name will have to be changed to the Orlando Loan Sharks.