News: Orlando Sharks Pull Out for the 2009 season

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by livesoccernews, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Dave K

Dave K Member

Jan 9, 2000
    Gloucester, NJ
    Yes, at least the Florida Thundercats didn't start 0-16

2. Cohnny

Cohnny New Member

Oct 22, 2008
    The other major issue with the game of soccer.

Everyone casts judgment before anything is done.

Perfectly illustrated with the Beckham loan to ACM. People don't understand the transfer system used in soccer and jump to "OMG BECKS IS GONE."

Let's not presume we know anything until we know it.

3. Dave K

Dave K Member

Jan 9, 2000
    Gloucester, NJ
    Yes, because we are headed the right direction with 3 small leagues (5 if you count whatever the PASL version of Mexico and Canada is) and killing off teams before league ever start. Oh wait, it's 6 leagues if you count the AISL.

4. Cohnny

Cohnny New Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Who's to say one or all of them won't grow?

MLB, NFL and NBA all started off as two or more smaller leagues.
    Competition amongst leagues has, for the most part, historically been good.

As for "killing off teams before the league ever starts"...that happens and so do folds. I encourage you to look at the history of teams of the 3 leagues I named and tell me different.

5. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    That's rather naive. There are people doing good things, but most of the people you're telling us to have faith in are the very ones that screwed things up so much in the first place.

6. lmfoust

lmfoust Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Cleveland
    Can I ask what is wrong with a little pessimism in this situation? Hell, when I was working for the Force, I got a sense bad things were happening and I hated lying to fans faces about nothing happening.

But look at the history of franchises in this league over the last decade and you can understand why people like Dave K and myself don't see them returning. For example, take a way Barcelona's interest in Miami, do you seriously think the Gerber baby would be interested in putting an MLS club there? Hell no! Why? HISTORY!

7. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    And if you believe that I'm sure you still believe they only folded the MISL as a "procedural move" to clear out former owners who were still voting so they could put new teams in those markets.

8. Dave K

Dave K Member

Jan 9, 2000
    Gloucester, NJ
    The good news is that Raj Kalra is looking to put a team in the PASL, so you are good there!!

9. Cohnny

Cohnny New Member

Oct 22, 2008
    First of all, skepticism is 100 times better than pessimism.
    That attitude is what hurts and stagnates the growth of the game we all love.

Naive, No, optimistic, yes.

Obviously, what ownership groups say, should be taken with a grain of salt, but that goes for all sports.

10. Cohnny

Cohnny New Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Perhaps you could enlighten me then.

11. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    If you listened to the MISL spinsters you would think there would be a new 9 team league maybe with addiitions in Cleveland, St. Louis and Kansas City.

It's not a procedural move when you fracture into two 4-team leagues.

12. Cohnny

Cohnny New Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Plans fall through, financing falls through, people change their mind, economies get bad. I do understand that you all are jaded when it comes to announcements like that. It does no one any good to sit and complain about it though.

You think a two league split was in the original plans? If that was the case they would have been set months ago rather than a month ago and Orlando wouldn't be in the position it is in.
    Orlando helped spear-head the creation of the NISL, they have a small staff (according to their website 7 staff members and 1 is a dance team coordinator), so if even 1 person's attention is on something else, like creating a league, it puts a lot of stress on everyone trying to make the team work.

13. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    It never seemed like the MISL had a plan and they certainly had no plan when they disbanded that league.

It looks to me like the XSL and PASL-Pro have specific plans, but I can't see what the NISL even hopes to accomplish. Everything they're doing looks like NPSL circa 2001.

14. Kevin Crow

Kevin Crow New Member

Oct 24, 2008
    I wonder if Montereey is next? They now have some serious miles to Log to get to the East Coast teams.

15. Cohnny

Cohnny New Member

Oct 22, 2008
    This is the most misguided quote I've seen here yet.
    Their intentions were all over the place and you actually said it. It was to be business as usual with regards to rules, playing and every other aspect of the MISL, except for a few clauses in the charter. We all know and as you stated, the major issue was that owners of defunct/inactive teams still had say in the day to day operations of the league.

I don't think the public will know the exact details of what happened between May 30th and September 16th to cause this to happen.

16. Dave K

Dave K Member

Jan 9, 2000
    Gloucester, NJ
    Well if all the players, front officers members, and former MISL staff that just joined (LOL september and october 2008 registration dates) the boards would care to enlighten us instead of hiding as usual.

We did manage to out Frank Klopas's wife as a poster on here.

17. livesoccernews

livesoccernews New Member

Oct 21, 2008
    on earth
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Cohnny you have a great point. and in 24hrs there will be another Live Local Latebreaking annoucement, I promise.

18. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    Can you put up a schedule? With all these deadlines I'm not sure which posts are big announcements or just recaps.

19. Cohnny

Cohnny New Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Players will have had as much to do with it as you or I. I have to imagine the front office personnel is the same. The best bet might be if one league/owner/president gets so angry at another that they spill the beans.

20. livesoccernews

Oct 21, 2008
    on earth
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    My major annoucement will be much better then a schedule, the schedule issue lets ask wanna know it all Dave K if he can produce one.

21. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    That's not what I meant. I meant a schedule of your big announcements. Everytime you post something is going to happen in 24 or 48 hours. I can't keep track of when the announcements are supposed to be.

22. Dave K

Dave K Member

Jan 9, 2000
    Gloucester, NJ
    Yes, more schedules and schedules of announcements to be announced please.

23. livesoccernews

Oct 21, 2008
    on earth
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Oh sure tomorrow by 12PM EST it could be much sooner but not after.

24. Dave K

Dave K Member

Jan 9, 2000
    Gloucester, NJ
    So 12pm is a scheduled estimate of an announcement that has already happened, or will this be a new appointment on the schedule?

25. Cohnny

Cohnny New Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Followed through all on the announcement schedulings as far as I can tell.