Orlando City targets fall for stadium deal

Discussion in 'Orlando City SC' started by Macsen, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it's the interview I'm thinking of, that happened in the middle of last year with a small-time local paper in Seminole County.

I don't recall anyone ever bringing up taxpayer funds for a stadium seriously. Nor did I expect them to get any. The only provision I expected from any government, if anything, was land. I do know that my sources in the team say they have investors "waiting in the wings" for the move-up.

2. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm still very skeptical about anything being imminent with Orlando. Looking at the big picture we see NY2 looking closer to a stadium deal then ever before. The league continues to make no bones about saying they are focused on NY2 as team #20. Considering the time and money being spent by the league itself in this endeavor, I think it's wishful thinking by anyone else to believe their market is going to get consideration to leapfrog them into that 20th spot. Garber and others at MLS are on record stating they don't need to expand past 20, and there is going to be a pause coming after 20.

Even if they somehow lock down this stadium deal in NY before the year is out, can they realistically expect a stadium to be ready for 2014? Seems a bit late considering all that still needs to get accomplished to even break ground. So 2015? Seem reasonable? Ok, so if NY2 is #20 starting in 2015, where does that leave Orlando, or any other eager market for that matter? So we're looking at 2016 or later for even the possibility right? And one year wouldn't be much of a pause after 20 if that was the case. So, 2017? 2018? How long will Rawlins be able to keep "waiting in the wings" investors in a holding pattern? How long will fans be patient biding their time watching the Lions continue to dominate teams like Antigua, LA, and Dayton? There are a whole lot of variables in the entire scenario.

To my mind, none of that should deter Rawlins. You need look no further than what is currently happening in San Antonio to see that you can build yourself a mighty nice SSS at a lower division level, and make sure it is ready to expand if/when the opportunity to move up to MLS presents itself. But if he does go that route, I think he's only going to increase the outcry for moving up to D2 in his quest toward D1. The other thing to consider I suppose is whatever chance there might be, slim or not, that an existing team could be relocated to Orlando and rebranded to OCSC. Rawlins is certainly no stranger to relocating and switching divisions with a team, as Austin can attest to. Like I said, a plethora of variables, and it seems like it's going to take more time than fans might like for things to play out.

3. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If a stadium is under construction in Orlando, I don't think there would be an issue with MLS letting them play in the Citrus Bowl for a season. But, given the two-year head start (from announcement to first game) that the last few MLS expansion teams have had would make it unlikely they'd be playing by 2014 (if that two-year window was followed).

4. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Garber has stated he would "like" to see 22 teams by 2020.

5. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    I did botch that. Downtown Orlando is where the Amway Center is, but I said Aquatica/Seaworld were near "downtown" because of the vibe in that part of town. International drive is full of things to do (restaurants, arcades, etc.) and hotels (and Universal, Wet N Wild, Islands of Adventure) are all nearby, and there's always people out in about in that part of town, giving it a downtown-ish feel, if you know what I mean.

6. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well they are trying to call that area "Downtown Orange County".

7. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Problem with that area is that its mostly touristy. You want the soccer stadium in the heart of your resident population.

Or where you can get the best deal. ;)

8. Kickballer

Kickballer Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Orlando,Fl
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    The Kansas City trip with the Mayor was canceled due to Isaac.
    Its rescheduled for mid-September.

9. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I just saw that yesterday. I didn't think he'd see that necessary since it was just a tropical storm, and was moving pretty quick through here, but oh well...

10. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice selective quotation. You'd have a future with the Democratic Party.

If you extend it further, he goes on to say he expects to be profitable next year. And with no context, he's saying the exact opposite of what you're claiming he's saying.

12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shocking! It's pretty difficult to make a profit with a soccer team in America! I had no idea!

So "their" you go for all those who are saying that robust attendance numbers automatically = profit.

(But, yeah, he says they project breaking even next year, which would be a massive accomplishment.)

13. Whitecaps10

Whitecaps10 Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Long Island,NY
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I highly doubt that any D2/D3 is making a profit this year. Even in MLS, only Seattle, Toronto, and Dallas have ever confirmed a profit in their history without SUM profits.

14. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Columbus might have. But, yeah, profits are elusive.

15. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    I really don't see the difference between the 2 parties. They both are trying to screw us the people over. But either way that was funny so i gotta rep you. Good stuff.

16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I think they're just actively trying to (a) stay in power, ( b ) do whatever they can to make sure their vision for America prevails, but ( c ) only if the other guy loses and loses big and bloody.

It just so happens that we get screwed in the process. I don't think their primary goal is to screw us over, it's just a bonus for them.

Bluesfan, Whitecaps10 and Macsen repped this.
  17. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, their primary goal isn't to screw us over. They'd have to give a shit about us, first.

But enough of the political pretext.

WorldGame repped this.
  18. WorldGame

WorldGame Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Orlando
    Repped.

As much fun as a political digression might be at the moment---just after the RNC, just before the DNC---may I humbly paraphrase Rodney King: "Please, can't we all just keep talking soccer?"

I've seen these things spin insanely out of control on these BS boards over the years. So back to OC stadium business:
    - lotsa big $$$ waiting in the wings when/after a move to MLS happens
    - a stadium in downtown Orlando
    - a stadium down near the convention center/Sea World/etc.
    - running Wilmington into the plastic turf tonight!!!

19. Quick25

Quick25 Member

Nov 9, 2010
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My personal, mostly self-serving, two cents on the stadium:
    I'd much rather see a downtown (as in downtown Orlando, near the Citrus Bowl) location. For me it would just be much more convenient from a travel stand point coming from the East side of town.

I got to see first hand how the Verizon Center in DC completely transformed one of the rougher neighborhoods in that section of the city into a bustling, gentrified, hot spot for development over the course of a decade or so after opening. It would be great to see the same thing happen around the Citrus Bowl.

Finally, a stadium in the "tourist" area would in my mind in a small way alienate the team from locals and make it appear less like a representation of the city and more of a side-show for the out of towners visiting on I Drive. Plus, I loathe driving in that area. Adding game day traffic is not going to be a fun experience.

20. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they put the stadium way out west instead of next to the Citrus Bowl, will they change the team name from Orlando City to something else?

Putting the stadium in a tourist area is a disaster waiting to happen, if MLS stadiums have taught us anything it's that the closer you are to downtown, the better.

21. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like the one near downtown Salt Lake City? Oh, wait.

Like the one near downtown Los Angeles? Oh, wait.

Like the one near downtown Philadelphia? Oh, wait.

Like the one near downtown Kansas City? Oh, wait.

As always, this meme comes down to basically two things: Seattle plays downtown and Seattle draws a lot; Dallas doesn't play near downtown and doesn't draw a lot. Therefore, "the closer you are to downtown, the better."

So not only have MLS stadiums not taught us that, but if there is anything they've taught us (and there is, plenty), it's that it's better to have your own yard than pay rent to someone else.

22. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I don't see anything wrong with the Convention Center location. There are some in-town who erroneously believe it shows we're pandering to the tourists, but I don't believe that load of shit for a second.

And it could be a lot worse: it could be Disney.

23. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not just Dallas. Colorado. New England. "New York" playing out in Harrison, which is why the league is desperate for a team within the city limits. Even Chicago would draw better if it was closer to downtown, people complain about how hard it is to get out there.
    I watch a lot of RSL games and that place is always fairly empty at the start of games and I'm assuming that because it's in Sandy and not because the fans are Los Angelinos who think it's cool to arrive late. I remember for the Champions League final they had to plead with their fans, "get to the game on time!" It's also usually not fully sold out despite their success and pretty much being the only game in town.
    I think even Los Angeles would draw better if their stadium was located closer to downtown near the 101/5, but that's a metropolitan area with a massive population so wherever you put a stadium, it will be close by for some people, Carson is about equidistant from downtown / East LA, Santa Monica, and parts of the OC. Same thing goes for the Union in Chester, Philly is a sports-crazy town, if they were located closer to downtown maybe they would be expanding their capacity already (as Seattle and Portland have done).

But yeah you have a point with Sporting Kansas City. But that's an amazing stadium, it's still brand new, and the team has been extremely successful ever since they opened it, in an area without many successful (or competently run) teams. Hopefully attendance doesn't dip if they start playing like the Timbers....

24. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What area are most of the current fans from? I'm guessing the team has those plotted. But when you get right down to it, it's going to come down to where can they get the best deal. I'm trying to remember where the convention center / Sea World is. My recolection is it's south of Sand Lake and off of I drive. I guess I'm in the group that thinks closer to down town the better. I'm not really a big fan of it being right next to the Citrus Bowl. Althrough for most people it's fairly easy to get to.

25. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Commerce City is 6.5 miles from downtown Denver. And, I don't know if you noticed, but New England used to get 21,000 a game playing all the way....on the other side of the parking lot from where they are now.

You say that with absolutely nothing to back that up.

Soccer fans, complain? Unpossible.

So we're now at the point where we're going to bitch about a team that averages almost 19k a game, in a tremendous stadium, in a metro area smaller than that of Richmond, Virginia?

In 60 regular-season games in downtown Salt Lake, they drew an average of 16,582. In 64 regular-season games soooooooooooo far from downtown Salt Lake in Sandy, they've drawn an average of 17,534. But, hey, they had to plead with fans to get to the game on time, and they don't sell quite enough tickets to completely satisfy Anonymous Internet Guy, so they're obviously worthy of dismissal.