Orlando City targets fall for stadium deal

Discussion in 'Orlando City SC' started by Macsen, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    There were no wars. Name one group that was denied a place in MLS. None. All the qualified groups with approved stadium plans were admitted. Yes multiple cities showed interest, but that doesn't mean they all had a real chance.

If MLS thinks both Orlando and NYC (and San Antonio or somewhere else for that matter) are quality groups with the appropriate size checks and decent stadium situations, then they will both get in.

kenntomasch repped this.
  2. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I'm not forgetting them. Because they didn't happen. Name the cities who fought for MLS bids in the last expansions. Fought. Your words. Fought. Year in and year out.

How many cities is that, exactly? And that's in the ********ing future, moron. Not "year in year out..bids (plural) by cities (plural) fighting for a (sic) MLS spot."

Considering they've never ********ing done that, no, I don't think that. New York is a special case. Portland and Montreal went for, what, $40M? (Regardless of what NY2 goes for, 21 and 22 won't pay as much as that, and there is unlikely to be a "bidding war.")There was no bidding. There was no war. There were no fights. There weren't more interested parties than there were slots.

Seven groups submitted bids in 2008 for the next round of expansion teams: Atlanta, Miami, Montreal, Ottawa, Portland, St. Louis and Vancouver. Montreal dropped out that November, so there were six. No fight. No war. Atlanta dropped out in early 2009. No fight. No war. Miami dropped out in March 2009. No fight. No war. Ottawa never really got going. No fight. No war. St. Louis - with Cooper - had a stadium supposedly figured out, and fanboys went nuts with their "What are you waiting for? Give Jeff Cooper a team!" bullshit. But they didn't. No fight. No war.

So who was left? Well, lah tee freaking dah....Portland and Vancouver. Who both got teams. And then Montreal came back into the picture after Saputo decided to do the deal after all.

So...tell me again...what I'm forgetting. Where were the year-in, year-out fights? Where was the war?

WHERE WERE THEY?

3. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    The Idrive location is no more than 50 mins from anywhere what I'd consider "Orlando.". Citrus bowl is 30 mins. But the Citrus bowl is not in a good part of town ... Idrive is.

I'd prefer Idrive location but it's almost a wash for me. Either works!

4. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Citrus Bowl site would kick off a gentrification project to the west of Downtown. They want to revitalize a four-block-wide run from Amway Center to the Citrus Bowl.

5. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    War: http://thedetroit3.blogspot.com/2011/10/new-player-comes-into-mls-expansion-war_26.html

6. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Macsen and eclipse02 repped this.
  7. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So according to you OC and NY are the only ones with a chance

"MLS isn't falling over itself to sign up teams in Carolina, Orlando or anywhere else outside of New York City should be seen as a strength."

http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2012/4/13/2946190/mls-expansion-north-carolina

8. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    This might help.
    IRONHIDE.jpg

SoccerPrime repped this.
  9. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Theirs others who are saying it too:

33 - BigSoccer

www.bigsoccer.com/community/threads/soccer-kicks.../page-33Cached
    Jun 26, 2012 – The expansion fee isn't set because MLS plans on auctioning off the license ... less, or being more, depending on whether or not a bidding war starts. ... SSS, you would find that NY2 disappears from the expansion discussion.

10. Kickballer

Kickballer Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Orlando,Fl
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    A blogger calls it a war and that's what it is.
    He also has Tampa AND St. Pete in his 30 team MLS league. :ROFLMAO:

11. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can call it what you want but it will be a bidding war for NY2.....of course you prefer flowers and ponies.

13. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    That is just as bad as the guy calling for NASL to expand to Miami.

14. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea because that's what USL wanted.....in FTL.

15. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    No Seriously, on IMS there is a guy who is saying forget Orlando, NASL needs to expand to Miami and create a real Flordia 3 way Derby. Jacksonville would make more sense if Orlando never joined NASL.

16. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the guy is delusional.

17. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    It's Hilarious.

18. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Takes one to know one, I guess.

19. WorldGame

WorldGame Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Orlando
    What was reported on the WESH report last night (Wed. 8/22)?

20. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing. It was basically a public acknowledgment that Mayor Dyer was joining them in Kansas City this weekend.

21. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, this thread is about the Orlando stadium and not about MLS expansion. If you want to talk about Orlando's goal of moving to MLS or MLS exansion in general then go to those threads.

WhiteStar Warriors repped this.
  22. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    You have a serious reading comprehension problem don't you? I mentioned that other possible candidates also exist both generally and one specifically by name.

23. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

24. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Your Honor, since the only documentation the defense can produce is from dumb ********ing bloggers, I would move for an immediate finding for Every Other Rational Human and adjournment. Thank you, Your Honor."

I mean...honestly. When is it going to end with you? When are you going to stop latching onto idiots who happen to reinforce your worldview?

CCSUltra repped this.
  25. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Here's the question I have. Awhile back didn't some local news outlet up there have some kind of video interview with Rawlins, it was a woman I believe, where she lofts him softballs and he goes on about there pursuit of MLS and that was why they moved the team from Austin? And I recall during that interview he talked about a possible stadium scenario, and he indicated that they would need tax payer funding to make it happen. So, the question is, what has changed since then that under these new rumors, an Orlando SSS would be built completely with private funds? Did he just line up more investors since then?