Orlando City S.C. News Thread

Discussion in 'Orlando City SC' started by Macsen, Jan 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does that 6 year old thread have to do with this discussion?

2. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not surprised that Bud Hedinger would come out against it. He has been heavily anti-tax in the past. But it won't utilize any new taxes, and I'm okay with soaking the tourists. I do think this would be a lot easier without the boondoggle Performing Arts Center, though.

3. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    Another thing is the Citrus Bowl. To a non-soccer follower, the natural thinking is "we are spending $175 million on the renovating the Citrus Bowl, why not play there????" Then you have to go into the whole "atmosphere" thing, and revenue issues, and the fact the renovations won't even be completed until 2020(?), and by then you've lost a lot of people.

There's also "Didn't Tampa and Miami already try MLS and the teams folded? What if that happens here? We are stuck with the stadiums..." Now you're really on your back heels.

4. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atmosphere + renovation time are all the answers you need for the Citrus Bowl thing. And someone mentioned CenturyLink Field when asking about that at the presser. The team did not address it explicitly, but I would call that the exception that proves the rule since the Link actually has a roof, and Seattle is becoming to MLS what Manchester is to the Premier League.

As for the Mutiny and Fusion? Different time + incompetent/non-existent leadership. Orlando City will not have the disadvantages that were built into both those clubs.

5. WorldGame

WorldGame Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Orlando
    I seem to have linked it wrong. The funny part (I thought...) was this post of mine, on a roughly similar topic of signing Ronaldinho to a newly begun MLS club:

"...if I'd just built a stadium, Garber had just handed me the keys to my brand new MLS franchise, I was putting my squad together, and Ronaldinho decided he'd like to live in my town for a few years, would I grab him?

My GM and team lawyers would be on him like fur on a weasel."

Laugh, it was funny.
    :laugh:

6. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ronaldinho is probably a bit too old for that by now. That's why I suggested Kaka if what they are looking for is a "Brazilian Beckham", and 2015 does become our year. I would love to see our team make a splash like that.

Now if only we could con a sponsor into getting us Neymar... :ROFLMAO:

7. WorldGame

WorldGame Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Orlando
    The comments under the report on the Sentinel website are predictable. It reminds me of when UCF was building the football stadium on campus. The alumni and related UCF folks had to listen to a zillion armchair land and tax experts who knew best what UCF did and didn't need, but didn't have the slightest clue what they were talking about and didn't give a flip about UCF in the first place. But because they heard the word "tax," suddenly their opinions were orthodoxy, and the fact their suggestions were useless was conveniently ignored.

8. WorldGame

WorldGame Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Orlando
    It'd be neat if it was Kaka'. When he's been healthy, he's been a game-changer.

I can already see the tidal wave of headaches trying to explain to colleagues, friends, family, etc., how to pronounce his nickname correctly. That'll be a hoot...

The club could also try to sign Ze' Roberto (fyi: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z%C3%A9_Roberto). A few seasons back he was rumored to be on his way to Dallas apparently because he wanted to play in the US. I've read where he and Kaka' are both devout Christians. They could do a ministry outreach thing alongside their playing time with the club. (And maybe if Roberto's connections to former club Bayern Munich are any good, OC and he could finagle a few friendlies at some point between FCBM and OC here in Orlando.)

9. WorldGame

WorldGame Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Orlando
    Just posted this in the "Stadium" thread, but it's pertinent here, too. News from this morning, reported in the Sentinel: "Tax break for Orlando soccer stadium clears committee." Link: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...ccer-stadium-subsidy-20130219,0,7854057.story

10. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The news is coming fast and furious now, it seems. And it seems it's packaged in with tax breaks for aerospace companies Lockheed Martin and SpaceX. Those are employers worth keeping happy.

"Brief complaints" seems to be the most negative from those in power. I suspect this part will pass fairly easily, and the real hurdle will be county Mayor Teresa Jacobs, which is as I expected.

*looks up Ze Roberto* Dude... he's gonna be 40 at the earliest we come online. Seriously?

11. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    So, it all comes down to Mayor Jacobs and the $25 million in hotel taxes? Wasn't she the one pushing for the stadium near I-drive instead of downtown?

12. mng146

mng146 Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    See the MLS 2015 thread for an example of what I was referring to. Oh wait, you already have. Never mind ;)

13. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
  14. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You should never believe anything in Bleacher Report that isn't in the competent media. And DM is part of the tabloid media.

If there is any credence to this, the Striker Likers will be up in arms, and rightfully so.

15. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    Didn't know that. Got there from CNN sports I think...

16. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly.

However no way the City ponies up its commitment if the stadium goes to I Drive. Plus it really makes no sense whatsoever for the stadium to be out there unless, of course, you are an I-Drive hotelier. At the end of the day this is going to be Jacobs call as to whether the entire concept of MLS in Orlando sinks or swims. The organization and the City have done everything they can and now it comes down to her. I wish I had more confidence in a positive outcome but I am rather pessimistic in light of what she views as her constituency. Still, I'm hoping to be happily surprised...

17. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mayor Jacobs has a conservative constituency, but she is not completely orthodox. She folded like a lawn chair on the boondoggle Performing Arts Center.

18. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    I just wrote her a nice email in support of the stadium. Write her in support - pass it on.

19. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's ironic, when she was my commissioner, I voted for mostly because her bio on the county website described her credentials as "soccer mom". Since I kinda have a thing for those I voted for her. Now it's possible she could hurt/help the greatest event for soccer in Central FL since the World Cup.

20. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then you lived in my district. I actually voted against her for commissioner her first time up. Saw no need to get rid of Bob Freeman at the time. o_O But I digress...

21. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I can't believe MLS would be this stupid. I'd elaborate, but I'm not even sure the report warrants it.

22. chrisdon72

chrisdon72 Member

Feb 23, 2000
    What is the attraction to the pile of dirt next to the Citrus Bowl over I-Drive? I-Drive is far more developed and walkable. It seems the real problem is I-Drive is not suitably "urban" enough for strutting hipsters.

23. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) Who said that was what they were looking at? My sources say they're going for some place very close to downtown. Maybe close to Amway Center.

2) That doesn't stop people from going to the bowl games still.

24. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Does Miami have a stadium they could play in for MLS? Orlando should be ahead of them after or with NY2 instead of Miami, especially if there's progress on a new stadium.

25. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless they propose using FIU Stadium, which is on a college campus and was in the Barça plan, the answer is no.