Orlando City S.C. News Thread

Discussion in 'Orlando City SC' started by Macsen, Jan 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fsufiji

fsufiji Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Auburndale FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Charlie Campbell signed with Ljungskile SK of Sweden. First OCSC to sign with a European club I think.

2. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adama Mbengue has joined Sporting KC for their preseason now that they're in Orlando. Can anyone tell me anything about him? All I know is what I've read on wiki about him.

4. fsufiji

fsufiji Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Auburndale FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Twitter, the team is making announcements regarding its preseason friendly schedule for March this coming week.

6. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. CShine

CShine Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    Club:
    Rocket City United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New investor comes on board with Orlando City.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...lando-soccer-stadium-20130217,0,3030812.story

8. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is huge news. He essentially is our ticket into MLS, pending stadium.

The article also gives a window into the current negotiations regarding the stadium. Hopefully we get big news coming this summer.

9. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. mng146

mng146 Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    If news of this gets posted in the NASL forum, expect spontaneous combustion. Fits of jealous rage (especially from certain Strikers and Rowdies alumni) will cause heads to explode :laugh:.

12. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was already aware of Wise Up, and its FIFA connections. Wise Up is an English language fluency program that started in Brazil, and has expanded worldwide, including franchises in the US for those who do not speak English as their first language. He founded Wise Up, and sold it to Ometz recently, but maintains a share of the company.

I quickly figured out there is also a gospel singer in Brazil named Flavio Augusto da Silva. I am trying to find him elsewhere.

EDIT: I did find him in LinkedIn. He is listed as the President of Ometz until 2011, and based in Orlando. In LinkedIn, he is listed solely as "Flavio Augusto".

13. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better picture:
    [​IMG]

14. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only ones who should care are Miami MLS fans or maybe VSI Tampa peeps. Since groups like the Rowdies haven't even mentioned going to MLS. Orlando has been bullish and are hopefully reaping the benefits of the chances they have taken.

15. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    Every team in Florida should take this as good news - if they have a sense of logic. Do you think the SB designates for "two" MLS teams for no reason? This means MLS has laid out a vision of two teams in Florida - which is in-line with MLS' new geographic rivalry theory. The SB begin date is July 1, 2013 which is consistent with the coaches' statements that an invite is expected within a couple months (the idea being the invite is contingent on the stadium which is contingent on some public funding). The bill goes to committee tomorrow... The actual relevant-to-us text of the bill:

"The department shall reserve two facility 43 certifications for new professional sports franchises in Major 44 League Soccer. The department may make no more than one 45 certification for any facility. 46

Section 2. This act shall take effect July 1, 2013. "

Get on the emails to senators on the Commerce and Tourism committee!!

16. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be honest, I don't think that was MLS's idea. I think that's more the Legislature's vision that Florida can support more than one MLS team. And it's not farfetched. I've always said we can do both Orlando and Tampa in MLS.

WFTV has its own article on the investment. Apparently the plan is that Rawlins will remain the club's president after the MLS expansion bid.

17. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    You might be right - I'm guessing based upon conjecture. :)

But at a minimum it makes things easier for City #2 coming along behind us....

18. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It nukes the idea MLS will stop, or even pause, at 20. Because we all know how desperate MLS is for NYC2, and they will NOT stop at 21.

19. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I agree. I never bought the idea that they'd stop at 20, and there was no evidence to support such an assertion. In fact, Garber had been pretty clear that what he and the owners are shooting for was something much more like the NFL than the EPL.

20. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This comment kinda surprised me from the new investor:
    http://www.wftv.com/news/sports/pro-sports/brazilian-business-mogul-joins-orlando-city-owners/nWRnd/

Sure, Augosto da Silva is Brazilian and Brazil does come to Orlando in droves and there is a sizable (but not huge) Brazilian population in the Central FL area, but I wouldn't base my business plan on that meaning that there is some secret Brazil pipeline of support and fans that will support Orlando MLS if it came. Not anything of significance. It smells very like the also false concept that Euro tourists at Disney and Universal will give a flying fig about going to a MLS game while they are in town.

markmcf8 repped this.
  21. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was not talking about Orlando City drawing fans from Brazilian tourists. He was talking about Orlando City becoming a global brand. I see it in the same way that Manchester United is a global brand. It's a tall order to say the absolute least, but an admirable target.

He wants Orlando City to be a target for Brazilian talent, not Brazilian tourists per se. That's why the term "Brazilian Beckham" was brought up. That means he sees a high-level late-model Brazilian superstar as a DP. That likely means the likes of Ronaldinho or Kaka, who will be 35 and 33 respectively in 2015. Kaka would be in 2015 where David Beckham was in 2007.

22. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, well thats not what I got out of it, but that sounds better.

23. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

While I agree that MLS was never going to stop at 20 teams (our country is simply too big), MLS hasn't actually came out and made an official statement about when the next expansion city (ies) would/will be announced or what the time frame is beyond their desire for MLS20 to be NYC2.. So until then, anything can happen. I do look forward to OCSC being in MLS one day, hopefully sooner then later.

24. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    Lots of news activity this morning on the radio. BH Live had it as an issue to discuss. BH Live is the morning ultraconservative radio show so he perfaced the discussion in a negative way ... "why should the govt. fund a soccer stadium? etc. etc." But before anyone actually called about it I was at work - couldn't listen anymore.

Then I caught the very last 30 seconds of I think Rawlins on Monsters in the Morning which is I think 104.1(?) It looks like they had a pretty positive interview, soft-ball style, and were talking about Augusto coming on board and the stadium situation. Sucks I only caught the last 30 seconds.