Orlando City S.C. News Thread

Discussion in 'Orlando City SC' started by Macsen, Jan 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kickballer

Kickballer Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Orlando,Fl
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    I wonder if Rawlins had/has any knowledge of VSI's master plan?
    Could ORL and VSI work hand in hand to build a natural rivalry and MLS bids to be #21 and #22 in 2016 or whenever?

But like with anything... I'll believe when I see it.

2. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would it have to be an either/or situation? There is room for both in MLS and considering the potential of the rivalry between the two teams, MLS and Garber would be forced to listen if both of these groups go through with plans and actually build a stadium.

3. Kickballer

Kickballer Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Orlando,Fl
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
  4. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't even thinking of that when I saw it.

Mr. Rawlins appeared at the supporters summit yesterday, and briefly said MLS will be brought up. I just want to see stadium news right now.

5. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    sorry if this already has been posted somewhere else before, it's the Orlando 2013 Lotto Uniform

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are probably wondering what else they could've done. They decided to hold it at Rollins, whose soccer stadium has 500 seats plus standing room.

The seats alone drew $12,500 for the team's charity.

7. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think OC has more to worry about than a future MLS spot be it 2016.

Since USL/ MLS affiliation will come to effect in 2013-2014.

8. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Rowdies have far more to worry about than Orlando City. *cough*VSI*cough*

9. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any thoughts on the news that MLS and USL are talking about a partnership, and how it would affect OCSC in the short term? Just curious, as the idea is that USL Pro would become MLS' development grooming ground for players.

One Article here

Dammit! repped this.
  10. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting article. Funny how they mention the pipe dream of Boise as a potential future USL Pro expansion team.

11. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
  12. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    This seems to be the main idea for 2013:

"The man who runs one of American minor-league soccer's most accomplished clubs hinted that there's been a holdup in releasing the USL Pro schedule because of the talks with MLS. It is understood that one provisional schedule pits each USL Pro club against a pair of MLS reserve teams in 2013."

That would be fun, but nothing major - IMO.

But later in the article there's talk of MLS teams basically paying the salaries of five players who play for USL teams. THAt type of financial integration would, to me, be the first step in USL becoming MLS2.

13. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That makes some sense of the delay.

I bet the USL teams would get a lot more media attention around those games, and you might get some good crowds out for those. I remember Portland, while still in USL a few years back, getting a big crowd for a 'friendly' against AC Milan's U23 team. So these matches might turn out to be a nice pay day for the USLPro sides.

USLPro only becomes MLS2 if MLS actually buys the league, which isn't out of the question. Also, it might require that NASL dies, or also gets bought by MLS.

On the immediate upside though, if MLS teams pay for five players on a local USLPro side, that's got to help the USL team financially, and because there are more MLS clubs than USLPro clubs, some USLPro teams might get more than five players. But however it turns out, it should provide a boost to USLPro teams, directly in terms of finance, and possibly in terms of media attention.

In any case, this looks like progress! I want to see some sort of integration between MLS, NASL, and USL. I think we need closer working relationships between the leagues in order to grow the sport as much as possible. I'm optimistic that we're going to see more and more progress in the next few years.

Oh, and MLS do not feel restricted to 20 teams or 24 or any arbitrary number. I could seem them going to regional leagues, and then having playoffs between the top teams from each division (conference, league, whatever you call it).

- Mark

14. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. jfalstaff

jfalstaff Member

May 3, 2012
    horrible idea for Orlando City. You risk losing your identity as a club when you just become an affiliate to an MLS club.

i like MLS reserve squads competing in the USL but this affiliation between individual USL clubs with MLS clubs is a really bad idea.

If i were an Orlando City fan i'd be furious.

bullsear repped this.
  16. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it hinders Orlando's MLS chances. And it frees up some money for player roster since SKC/MLS pay the salaries of the loanees. However, I wonder if this will take playing time away from a possible better Orlando-signed player.

17. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    While reading through Neil Morris' excellent write up of the implications of the new partnership, I noticed a few things: 1) if an MLS team were to form a partnership with a USL-Pro franchise which was then to go under, it would reflect very poorly on USL and could potentially damage the partnership's viability, and 2) no MLS team has chosen to form an affiliation which did not already exist or which was not with a well-established USL club.

The MLS owners are no dummies. They know the USL's business model, and they know which teams to affiliate with. It's a credit to Orlando City that MLS owners have recognized their excellent achievements over the past couple years.

18. WorldGame

WorldGame Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Orlando
  19. WorldGame

WorldGame Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Orlando
    Interesting point. To take it a step or two further, would you say OC's partnership with Sporks/MLS could then possibly become a (for lack of a better term) leveraging tool, by which OC's hoped-for entry into MLS could be made easier? It sorta puts me in mind of the kind of "sponsor" relationships that exist when a new member is intending to join an existing group, the way it's done in college fraternities or a country club, for example. So maybe, for the moment at least in this first two-year partnership, OC is being groomed for entry into MLS, so to speak.

20. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exposing our team to MLS further can only be a good thing. Especially beyond 2013 when the MLS-USL alliance is further fleshed out. We will be seen at an MLS stadium at least once this year, possibly twice or more depending on the US Open Cup. And it will be expanded further going forward.

When the time comes for the Don to turn his eyes Southeast, we will be the ones he will most look at. If we have the stadium, we'll get the team soon enough.

And as Prime said, we don't have to pay the salaries of the players SKC sends our way. That alone will more than pay for the extra plane trip.

21. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    i can't remember where I read it, but part of the deal was for SKC to give OC assistance in putting together a bid for MLS franchise

22. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be better if you found that source. Until then, I'll take that as a rumor at best.

Of course, in that case, when we do go up to MLS they'll have to create two USL Pro teams: one to replace us for SKC, and one for us.

I have posted the schedule on my blog, and updated Wikipedia with it.

23. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Phil Rawlins talks more about the affiliation with SKC on Extra Time Radio. Very good interview, and insight into the USL/MLS Partnership.

EvilTree repped this.