Orlando City an MLS Favorite

Discussion in 'Orlando City SC' started by haaamean, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The latest news on MLS expansion from The Sporting News...

Not much in the way of news in the full article. What's interesting is that the MLS source claims they are "content with 20" for the moment.

The way I see it, that's not good news for the weaker established clubs. (see: San Jose, Chivas, Columbus not so much with some good weeks recently) But then again, they've been swinging between saying 20 and 24 teams for quite some time.

2. teamAOK

teamAOK New Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Clermont, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Semi Random Question: What is the "deal" with Beckham's ownership clause? I know he has the option to get a team when his contract ends with LAG, but I have also heard he cannot use it in the either the LA or NY markets. Is any of that true? Either way, does it practically mean that the route to MLS goes through David Beckham?

3. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumors all over the place. I don't have his contract in front of me, but according to this story from this past February, the shortlist for expansion franchises includes Atlanta, San Diego and Miami. He can buy a team at a "reduced price", and would bring in Simon Fuller as an investor. There are also rumors he may partner with Joey Saputo in Montreal.

Now a lot can happen in seven months. With Orlando's 2011 success, this opens us up as a possibility (and nothing more than that). Orlando is already a very popular spot for Brits; just look at Phil Rawlins and Brendan Flood. David Beckham would put us over the top as far as an ownership group goes. But there are those who are concerned that, if David Beckham did get involved in Orlando City, he would ultimately push out Rawlins and Flood.

4. teamAOK

teamAOK New Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Clermont, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Sounds like you're saying that having Beckham on your ticket is good if you didn't have much of a ticket to begin with, but if you have a good foundation (ownership-wise) it could spell trouble down the road.

Would be interested to see how Becks and Saputo work out. That Joey is one interesting fellow!

5. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm only saying some of the concerns I've heard when I've broached the idea of Becks getting involved in Orlando City.

6. WorldGame

WorldGame Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Orlando
    Right, because Garber and the MLS braintrust are awarding MLS franchises according to percentage of seats occupied.

By that illogic, Central Florida Kraze will be an MLS club because they sell out Winter Park High School's football field.

7. WorldGame

WorldGame Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Orlando
    One question: if a soccer player performs a slide tackle over second base, is he safe?

8. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, you are way off. Might I suggest not rehashing already-deceased subthreads purely for the purpose of trolling?

9. WorldGame

WorldGame Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Orlando
    Geez, really?

Good lord, man, that was sarcasm.

Or do you actually think someone around here is hoping the Kraze will be elevated to MLS?

I thought you'd been around here long enough to recognize this as the joke it was meant to be.

If you still don't get it, email me and I'll explain it slowly for you.

10. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I didn't think you were serious suggesting the Kraze should go to MLS. The idea they sell out Showalter Field is what I found way off-base. Some things are too outlandish to be taken for sarcasm.

11. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    For some reason, mention of Beckham in a thread causes spouts of insanity...

He was just offered a one year contract extension by LA and is playing pretty good soccer so no reason to think he won't play one more year. He can't exercise the option until he stops playing (my understanding) so we would be looking at 2013 for Beckham franchise - which fits nicely with our timeline.

But even Beckham's involvement won't solve the stadium issue - unless he can pony up 100 million to build a stadium- which he can't and wouldn't. Seattle got a waiver from the SSS requirement but I can't see the same happening here.

For me, it all comes back to the stadium issue.

12. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beckham's been offered an extension. Who knows what he'll decide to do? If the Galaxy win the MLS Cup, he may decide to retire and go out on top, instead of most of the past several years when he spent most of his time on the sidelines.

As for stadium: He can't. Simon Fuller can. And his investment would also free up some of Rawlins and Flood's money. But as I said before, that all is pure speculation at best.

13. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    He'll play another year just as sure as a dog will pee on a hydrant - it's in the blood. :)

14. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    He's playing another year if not two, which sucks for Orlando fans hoping he'll retire already and use his option. Becks wants to play in the Olympics. He's made no secret of that.

15. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahh, so they cheated the men's side age rules.

16. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't Brian McBride play for the US in the last Olympics? I believe you are allowed to have a few over aged players.

17. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Read the first "article" and didn't find anything compelling about it. I get why OC$C fans would be excited, but honestly it really is a fluff piece that appears poorly researched. Any of us probably could have written a more informative piece.

The second article was far more interesting and should give ALL of us, all of the Florida markets, pause. The vibe coming from MLS HQ is that after #20 it could take some extraordinary circumstances to get an MLS team, at least for a long while.

That isn't necessarily anything alot of us didn't already suspect. It has been assumed for a while that based on how rapidly MLS expanded over recent years that the league would slow way down once the magic #20 team is formed. It'll be very interesting to see what approach is ultimately taken to further expansion, but at the very least we are all likely looking at a much longer time frame between new sides, if any. I still tend to think there will be teams past #20, but wtf do I know.

That being said, is anyone at all considering the possibility of some of these under performing MLS 1.0 teams being looked at as retraction/relocation candidates? Teams like the Revs, Columbus, Chivas etc. Columbus is an interesting case. They had the first SSS and yet years later they still struggle to draw respectable crowds, despite being competitive to very good much of the time. San Jose will be one to watch as they are getting a stadium, but historically they haven't done well. If they hadn't become champions of MLS back in 2001 they likely would have been cut instead of the Mutiny or the Fusion.

Probably a long shot and I might be way off base, but something to think about IMO.

And thank you Andy for attempting to lay it straight regarding the past Florida MLS markets. No the experience MLS had in Tampa and Miami do not make those markets an albatross or no go zones for future expansion/relocation. If an owner stepped up tomorrow with the money and plans required for MLS then both markets could have MLS within two seasons.

We keep forgetting that it's all about the benjamins. Orlando's attendance in year one was nice, granted, I'd love to have that kind of crowd support, but in the end it doesn't matter unless someone breaks out the check book.

For the record I do believe that if FCTB moves back to the Tampa side of the bay and sorts its stadium situation that we'd draw MUCH better, thousands better, especially with the kind of weekend heavy schedule we had this year as opposed to the weekday heavy one from our first season.

That and retain the Rowdies trademark. You know, no big deal that 8k+ showed up thinking they were getting the Rowdies and Citrus Group trotted out FCTB instead. sigh

18. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have thought of it. It's a shame San Jose is looking to play at a half-empty brand new stadium. And I have to admit, Columbus is looking attractive. They're more likely to be sold by Clark Hunt than FC Dallas, that's for sure.

BTW: When I used the term "albatross", I meant that in terms of perception. I though that was clear when I said it. I know as well as you that it's bullshit. All that matters, however, is what the people making the decisions think.

19. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is unfortunate that MLS came in and seriously tarnished image of South Florida and Tampa Bay as domestic soccer markets. Before MLS came in a failed, Florida was looked at as one of the best areas, with the good support from the NASL and later the APSL/ASL/USISL etc.

A positive that everyone in Florida can be proud of is that Fort Lauderdale, Tampa Bay and Orlando are working to rebuild that image. Tampa Bay at 3,000-ish(can't find the most up to date average), Strikers finished at 3,800 per game, and Orlando at 5,200. All very respectable numbers for minor league. Nothing spectacular, but solid. Hopefully some nice playoff runs for FTL and TB see us facing off in the NASL finals with 3 more big crowds each to add on.

Hopefully Tampa gets their stadium issues figured out long term, the Strikers can build on what was a successful reboot year, and Orlando can prove that it was not a fluke in 2011. If MLS ever goes to 24 teams, I think someday it's not unlikely that we'll see all 3 markets with MLS clubs(I'm betting on 2 expansion teams and 1 relocation).

I think a 3 way derby, in MLS or otherwise, would be something special, and probably the best inter-state rivalry in any pro sport we've ever seen in FLA. Dolphins/Bucs/Jags, Heat/Magic, Panthers/Lightning, and Marlins/Rays mean absolutely nothing. The closest thing to a meaningful rivalry in the state I've heard of is the Storm/Predators War on I-4 in the AFL.

I say good luck to Orlando and TB. As much as it would pain me to see one or both of those markets get MLS instead of FTL, it's better than NYC getting a second team in my book.

1 person likes this.
  20. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone from MLS saying they're "content at 20" means nothing, because they seem to bounce between 20 and 24 almost weekly. And that point-out should prove that idea. The untapped market for soccer in America is too big to stop at 20 in the top flight, and we shouldn't try to "be too European" and pin it there. No matter who is picked for #20, those waiting in the wings will still get a shot thereafter. If FIFA tries to bother us about having a league too large down the line, we can always split it geographically and run two top-flight leagues, and maybe have a breakaway premier league in the distant future.

BTW: the BS meter on that article is high, WSW. Beckham is explicitly barred from owning in NYC, and that's the first time ANYBODY has mentioned Cincy I think.

Damn right.

22. vargasv71

vargasv71 Member

Jun 21, 2007
    california
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah,
    why go against FIFA? Because we're the US? Just keep it at 22 in one league. No other country has gone above that. No way is the US as big of a soccer market as Brazil, and they've reached 22 in some years. I'm not sure about this year. Anyway, so best strategy is to take on 4 Canadian teams w/the intent that they'll be able to break off and be joined w/3 other Canadian cities....for a 10 team Northern American Premier league. And the other 3 first division teams part of Canadian league? US cities...giving us 25 first division teams (22 in MLS, 3 in Can league). If the Canandian league excluded a salary cap, this Californian sure would watch that instead of MLS. And yes, the Canadian market could sustain 4 or 5 mega clubs. I'd prefer the Cosmos in that league and not MLS

23. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brazil may have stopped at 22 teams, but they also have well developed lower divisions and promotion/relegation. We don't have those last two things.

The US/Canada is a MUCH larger geographic area, with many more large markets, spread fairly evenly across the countries. I don't see any "Amazon FC" teams down in the wilderness of Brazil. They have several teams in some cities because that's where the people are.

As of right now the league has ZERO influence in the Southeast. Atlante in Cancun is closer to South Florida than DCU or Houston. It's ridiculous. MLS will need 2-3 teams AT LEAST in our region to really help it prosper.

The league needs to go to 24 clubs. That's a good number that allows it to have a somewhat decent schedule and get into most of the country. FIFA can bend on the US, there is no other country in the world who's D1 league spans as much geographical space.

1 person likes this.
  24. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    While MLS made many mistakes with the Mutiny and Fusion, as new leagues often do, it is not fair to put the blame solely on them and totally absolve South Florida and Tampa. The issues with both clubs were well known and we can rehash them all day. Ownership with the Munity. How different things would have been if the Glazers bought in. And poor location for the "Miami" Fusion. But they were not as simple to assign MLS as the villain who tarnished Florida's sterling reputation as a soccer utopia. Which it never really was.

And it is also not MLS's duty to help Southeast soccer prosper. It's their job to make money. If Southeastern teams help them do that, than they will gladly return or expand in those area. And if they don't, then we already know the answer. It all comes down to ownership, expansion fee, and stadium situation.

25. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Poor location" was NOT the Fusion's problem. They would have survived if they had dared to use the Fort Lauderdale Strikers name back then.