Orlando City an MLS Favorite

Discussion in 'Orlando City SC' started by haaamean, Sep 9, 2011.

1. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jesus Christ, I understand the points both of you are making, but you don't need to be so aggressive/defensive/obnoxious about it. It's also completely off topic! Why not just PM each other and leave it off this board?

2. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Heh, funny guy. Maybe you don't know, but it's against Kenn's religion to not try to publicly humiliate someone on these boards.

3. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I can do much worse than that. I didn't even think that was in my top 100.

4. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *Subscribes*

5. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, nothing more to see here.

6. BrodieQPR

BrodieQPR Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Michigan
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why I used to buy it.

7. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    Internet topless women are free. Plus, Playboy is better for topless pics. :p

8. ChuckDzzNutz

ChuckDzzNutz Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Florida
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha, you shouldn't count a loss in the W column . . . Unless you don't have 100 wins. Then maybe you can chalk it up as your best loss. :cool:

9. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's funny. I cut you some slack before, but don't push it.

10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please try to stay on topic, gracias.

11. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this topic is way more interesting than the old one, IMHO.

12. Papadop

Papadop Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Metro Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back on Topic:

At the Supporters Summit, Orlando City Front Office guys announced that season ticket sales are up 188% from last year.

I'm not sure what this means but it sounds good and I'm sure this figure will be mentioned to Garber later this month at Disney.

13. ChuckDzzNutz

ChuckDzzNutz Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Florida
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see the pre-season schedule is shaping up nicely as well . . . 3 MLS Teams, 6 College squads, and an International team . . . not bad. Do you guys think the attendance for the MLS teams will rival, or even surpass those of regular season games?

14. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    Does this mean their average attendance could come close to 10,000 this year?

15. Papadop

Papadop Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Metro Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    City is playing the Union at the Citrus Bowl on 2/18/12. This will be an important test. Will the usual crowds of 5-6K show? Will all 11K from last season's championship match show? Probably not. But we should beat last year's Union friendly (announced attendance 3,100 and, BTW, the first ever match played by O.C.) by at least a couple thousand.

The other MLS matches will be played at Disney's ESPN Complex. Orlando Rays may correct me if I'm wrong but I think that stadium only holds around 3,000. All Orlando City vs. (Insert MLS club) matches are expected to be sold out.

16. Papadop

Papadop Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Metro Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We hope so. An 8k average is probably more realistic. Play off matches should bring close to 10k. We'll see.

17. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be quite the feat.

No DIII team has ever averaged 10k (Orlando's 5,415 last year is the record) and the only DII teams to do it are Rochester (nine times), Montreal (seven times) and Portland (once).

To nearly double their average would be quite significant.

18. Papadop

Papadop Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Metro Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think we'll average 10K. But the numbers will go up.

There has been good media coverage. There's a good buzz in the pubs, the work places, and schools. People I know, who up until now were not interested in soccer, are asking questions about the matches. We expect to see alot of new faces in 2012.

One key factor, IMO, is neither the team nor the supporters think of Orlando City as a "Division III" club. We don't act like it's just D-3. To us, it's the best thing to hit our town in over twenty years. It's a state of mind. It may not be the big leagues (yet). But it is great fun.

19. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would that everyone felt that way.

20. ChuckDzzNutz

ChuckDzzNutz Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Florida
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I certainly can't give you an accurate percentage # of fans in the stands that are in the know, but I'd be willing to wager that definitely over over 50% of them don't know the difference between D2, and D3. All they know is that they are at a minor league game. I'd also venture to say that over half of them don't even know what the U.S. Open Cup is. Granted, I'm counting spouses, children, etc . . . but the point remains. The average person that makes their way to one of these games is not the kind of avid fan you'd find on these boards.

21. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can buy that the supporter groups themselves view the club as something bigger than your run of the mill D2/D3 team, we by default take our teams and the sport more seriously than most, more casual fans, but don't fool yourself into thinking the fan base at large is under the delusion that they are playing in the big boy league.

They most likely know next to nothing about D2 vs D3 and the circus that is lower division soccer as a whole. And with an owner who talks about MLS constantly instead of at least doing a little to help promote the league you guys actually play in, who can blame them?! :p

The bonus is that as long as the product is good, they aren't likely to care much either.

22. Papadop

Papadop Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Metro Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True and true.

What I think is going on here is that a long-overlooked void has been filled. Orlando continues to expand (based on census data -the Orlando / Daytona area is projected to surpass the Tampa / St. Pete area in population by 2020). Yet, we've had only one big league team to cheer for all these years.

The soccer nuts are in the supporter groups. The general sports fans are steadily filling up the rest of the lower bowl of the CB. You guys are correct. People love a winner. And our cause was well-served when O.C.S.C. won the D-3 Championship. But, win or loose, a foothold has been established here in Central Florida. And despite all the MLS talk, everyone I know would love to see the Lions get in on that Rowdies-Striker action. The only thing better than a two-way rivalry is a three-way rivalry.

23. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'd definitely be a fun rivalry, but I don't see it ever being likely. Either you guys get MLS, which would likely limit the chance that the Rowdies and Strikers also get it down close to zero, or you guys somehow miss the MLS boat and Tampa Bay or Ft. Lauderdale/Miami somehow get in. All three of us playing the same league just seems like a pipe dream, unfortunately.

Rawlins says he wants MLS and if he somehow doesn't succeed in Orlando I think he'd be more likely to either find a new market or sell the team than he would be to join the NASL.

24. njndirish

njndirish Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Notre Dame, IN
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't call it a pipe dream, if the Magic trade Howard, the Dolphins, Bucs, Marlins remain mediocre, the Rays go back to being the Devil Rays, and the Heat ends up having their big 3 experiment imploding, suddenly there is a lot of sports space. The first two are extremely likely, #3 depends on each season, and #4 always has the potential. I've noted something in the following of the 3 florida clubs, unlike the MLS clubs a decade ago, these teams aren't trying to shoehorn themselves into the sports market. They are creating a natural evolution of fans that have begun to demand soccer in their area. Additionally, that's been the issue with pro-sports in Florida, most of the teams have been forced upon the residents and not built by them. If the 3 of Florida build a strong soccer community, I don't see why they could be the first Florida non-American football teams to incite consistent passion with their fans.

25. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you tell me what other states or areas have had the residents "build"
    pro sports teams as opposed to having them "forced" upon them?

I'll hang up and listen for your answer.