Opinion on US Soccer from a swedish paper

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Coog, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Coog

Coog Member

Jun 29, 2011
    Stockholm
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Okay, maybe this isn't worthy of it's own thread but I thought it may interest US soccer fans what one of the most appreciated football columnist in Sweden, Simon Bank, is writing about US Soccer.

This is from his column today, after Swedens disapointing loss to Ukraine, when he anticipates what the team manager is going to say at the press conference (my translation).

"We already know what he will say. Sweden lost because they didn’t dare, because the players didn’t reach their max capacity, because the attitude wasn’t there.
    We know. We’ve heard it before. Sometimes we even believed it. But if the most important thing in football were courage, conviction and attitude, The US would win the World Cup every fourth year."

2. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Sweden played well. I disagree that attitude is why they lost. Ibrahim has attitude out the wazoo. Sheva had a perfect game in front of his home stadium. Difficult against the host nation. And Elmander should have finished his chance at the end. Good luck with the rest of the tournament.

In terms of the US, I appreciate the compliment on our courage and conviction.

GiallorossiYank repped this.
  3. Coog

Coog Member

Jun 29, 2011
    Stockholm
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    I appreciate the kind words but we were awful, there's just no other word for it. I think it was nerves because as you say, the attitude wasn't the problem. But I'll take that good luck, we'll need it. Good luck to you guys as well in the WC qualifier. The US is my second team so I'll be rooting for you.

CyphaPSU and SYoshonis repped this.
  4. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    i guess a backhanded compliment is better than none at all. The implication is that if the US had some 'skill' we would win every 4 years. Man, Sweden, what can you say, it was the Ukraine's moment, you just happen to be the ones.

Once again, Umbro does the best kits in the business.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  5. az2004

az2004 Member

Jun 5, 2012
    this was ukraines moment in a lifetime

given the poltical drama there, this was theirtime and they showed it

6. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    QFT. Reminded me of my HS uniform way back when except black and gold.

Sweeden, don't even where the gold. Stay in the navy kits.

7. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate being the "hustle and heart" guys, but it is better than being nondescript I guess.

8. drgonzo

drgonzo Member+

Jun 1, 2011
    Club:
    San Diego Flash
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I view it as more insulting then anything. He's basically saying we lack skill but we try really really hard. It's something you say to little kids. If this was coming from a reporter who was covering a good team I'd be a little less annoyed but he obviously thinks Sweden is superior to the US with a backhanded comment like that. They're Scotland plus Zlatan, nothing impressive.

9. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And half of Bigsoccer wouldn't be happy unless we won it every other year.

10. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Simon Bank's comments on USA are complimentary.

His comment on Sweden was spot on as far as I can tell. There wasnt any lack of courage, fire in the belly, in their loss to Ukraine. They just weren't playing well as a team. They looked disjointed.

11. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    If the USMNT had "courage, conviction and attitude" in its last game they'd have done a lot better than 3-1.

12. Coog

Coog Member

Jun 29, 2011
    Stockholm
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Hmm maybe what I wrote is caught a little bit out of context. The way I read it, and the way I think it’s meant to be red, is that there isn’t a team more hard working and spirited than the US, which I see as a compliment. That doesn’t mean the he tries to imply that the US lacks skills. But let’s face it, neither Sweden or USA has the skill level of Spain, Brazil or Argentina so our way is the German way, discipline and hard work.

13. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Courage, conviction, attitude=Carlos Bocanegra

He's been a great captain and soldier for the team. And we will never be a world power relying on players with his attributes.

The sad thing to me is that there are now some promising alternatives to be explored. Maybe later.

14. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    some players on US have skill but honestly most do not have the ability to plow through someone but maintain possesion of the ball. iniesta, benzema, messi, ronaldo, hulk, gerrard, rooney, villa, ibrahimovich included.

you watch them and they can beat someone while being pushed or shoved and continue their run. US players (altidore one of the worst at it) tend to just fall. gomez too.

dempsey is one of the few who fights through.

15. vaquero28

vaquero28 Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you know, 10 - 1 would not have been good enough, right??

16. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Jaime Carragher doesn't think so. Neither does Jonathan Mensah.

17. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol. hahahaha, I see what you did there.

Im just saying we need a guy who can position himself to beat the backline.

it isnt always easy. you need 11 men to make it happen. I think jozy actually can be that guy for us. gomez has gotten a lot better playing in mexico but physically he is not as capable as jozy could be. I think a year or two more in az could take jozy to new heights. if he continues at this rate by 2014 (especially the 2013 gold cup) we could see a different level of playing from him turning 24.

18. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Juan Capdavilla

As far as the quote goes I took it as a complisult which we should all humblebrag about.

quinn and bungadiri repped this.
  19. trip76

trip76 Member

Jul 17, 2007
    North East USA
    soooo...which part of that do you disagree with? sure, we have some talent, but as a whole, no, we are not a particularly talented national team. we do however have a mental game the is superior to most.

blacksun repped this.
  20. 2011 Fireman

2011 Fireman Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Clearwater
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's hope so but 2018 will be his prime especially as we (Americans) tend to bloom later is soccer.

21. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that is because we tend to get into europe late. jozy is one of the few who has stuck it out and madei t somewhere before 24-25. donovan couldnt do it.

but jozy really made something for himself and did very well last season.

michael bradley is another who has stuck it out although he has yet to compete on a top tier team and play in champions league or europa. I hope he will get there sometime soon.

22. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Sometimes your quality doesn't translate to Champions League football. Scott Parker barely got a sniff until he was 30. He had one less than impressive season with Chelsea at age 25. The rest of the time was with Charlton, Newcastle and West Ham.

23. drgonzo

drgonzo Member+

Jun 1, 2011
    Club:
    San Diego Flash
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. But his comments are a generalization. I highly doubt he's ever seen an American game. It's one thing if the comments came from someone who knows the team and the game in this country, but it's another thing if its a broad generalization. I willing to bet he couldn't name a player on this roster not named Dempsey or Donovan. Maybe I'm just being anal about this but I find his comments condescending.

24. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    I saw it as his attempt to compliment the "American" never say die, win at all costs, spirit. Then saying, while that's all well and good, it does not win you titles all by itself. It basically said we're the best at this one thing but not good enough at the rest to dominate. If you want condescension look at the British press, home of a team with too many players who have lost the game before they step on the pitch.

25. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    I will reserve judgment. Until Umbro stumbles, I will have faith.