Open source video/statistical analysis

Discussion in 'Statistics and Analysis' started by Morris20, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Wandering into this area of BigSoccer, it seems like there's a great discussion (within the limits of internet message boards) about what I see as "big picture" statistical relationships (i.e. if you're scoring a lot of goals, how much does that increase your chances to win?)

Is there anybody doing more granular stuff? While the relationship between # of corners vs. goals or something like that is useful if you're looking to assess a team's performance in retrospect (or make a bet), I'm not sure if it's all that useful in focusing training/tactics at the team level. But using analysis to show the runs individual players make, their work-rate (distance covered? number of runs?), the number of tackles won/lost, etc. can be VERY useful - it's just time consuming to collect that kind of data (and if you're coaching, you have to maximize your bang for your buck in terms of time mgmt.).

Some companies are doing this sort of thing at the premium (national team/1st division pro) level, but it seems the field is evolving so rapidly that an open source effort at a lower cost could reap huge dividends. Anyone interested? Does anyone know of more modest efforts at data collection and analysis? I've got hours of game tapes (of some quality, but not optimal), but I KNOW we're not getting the most of them.