Ongoing Portland Stadium Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by soccermaul, Jun 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Lawmakers Give Initial Approval To Soccer Stadium Financing In POrtland

I have seen some comments referring to PGE Park as a possible temp stadium for a MLB team, as well. If the PGE Park renovations go through, then that won't be a possibility.

2. radmonkey

radmonkey Member

Oct 27, 2007

an MLB team in Portland. Keep dreaming. Someone will be interested, but then all the NIMBY's will have them on the first plane out of town.

3. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You understand Portland better than most Portlanders.

4. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA

So I read that article. Sounds like the folks up there with votes in Portland are willing to lose the Beavers if it means assuring MLS.

Do I have that about right?

5. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'd say "kinda" They would prefer to keep the Beavs, because of the Spectators fund. However, both Vancouver and Hillsboro may be interested in building the Beavs a stadium.

6. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

When the stadiums are de-coupled, we will get a third iteration of the financing plan. Here is an article that compared the Rose Quarter and Lents plans: http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2009/06/portland_city_politics_may_und.html

The most recent plan draws $7.5 million from the Spectator Facilities Fund, and $1.2 million from SFF reserves. The previous plan, however, drew $31.4 million from the SFF and $2.4 million from the SFF reserves. The SFF money is contingent on future revenue, including things like concessions taxes at Blazers games. If the Beavers leave town altogether, the city will lose the revenue that they currently put into the SFF, not to mention what they would have contributed while playing in a new baseball stadium.

The PGE Park renovations come in at $37 million. So the potential lack of URA money from Lents and the potential lack of future SFF revenue from the Beavers will impact the new financing plan. We may see additional sports-related taxes to cover any such shortfall.

7. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia

According to a few online dictionaries, it is.

8. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not a chance. There will be no taxes. period. I know that we lose Adam and Saltzman immediately if that happens.

What will likely happen is that they'll put a LOT more SFF money into the deal. Like the first plan. I'd imagine there will be some up front rent (this reduces the interest paid, so it's actually a good deal) as well as the $5m from the state if that happens and Paulson comes up with the rest on his own.

PGE is going to have no trouble being paid for. AND since this ISN'T a baseball forum or thread and the deals are now decoupled, who cares about the baseball stadium.

9. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA

Here is why baseball is relevent in my eyes....and I could be wrong because I'm not up in Portland.

But if PGE gets renovated that pushed the Beavers out. If the Beavers can't find a stadium solution, they leave town.

Would the politicians intentionally kill the PGE rennovations, and in turn kill the MLS bid, to ensure that the Beavers have a place to play?

10. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Lawmakers Give Initial Approval To Soccer Stadium Financing In Portland

One of the supporters for MLS on the council has said that he will vote against any proposal that causes the Beavers to leave Portland... So that will leave the vote 2 for and 3 against. Of course, if that councilman changes his mind and goes against what he said, or one of the 2 councilmembers that are currently opposed to the PGE reno's switches their vote to Approve, that would change the equation.

11. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No, they wouldn't. THAT IS WHY THEY DECOUPLED THEM!!!

This can't be said enough. The decoupling was done for one reason... so that the future of the Beavers does not have any bearing on the future of MLS Timbers.

Also to give more time to discussions involving the baseball stadium... which we should even be discussing.

12. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Randy Leonard.... voted in favor yesterday of decoupling the deals

Read the links provided over the last 24 hours. Adams and Saltzman were always in favor of decoupling. Leonard was the holdout and now he's voted to decouple.

The next two weeks they discuss and vote on a predevelopment deal. Saltzman is almost certainly a yes because he wants MLS in Portland. He's said so in interviews. His reservations always revolved around the baseball stadium. Now that THAT bitch isn't on the table they can focus solely on the soccer stadium deal which he said he supports.

This is about 100x better than where we were the day after the MLS team was announced by the league. Just think of it this way..

THANK GOD BASEBALL HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS DEAL!

13. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA

I swear I'm not being dense. But you can say the two are decoupled. It doesn't make it true.

PGE gets rennovated, Beavers can't play there. If they have no place to play, they leave town.

Decoupling just means that PGE doesn't require a baseball stadium approval as a package deal. It doesn't mean that baseball and soccer aren't still joined at the hip. That's what I'm afraid of.

14. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Merritt Paulson has taken Lents off the table for the baseball stadium. It looks like the suburbs are now the only option. The Marquis, if you have a link, please provide. Thanks.

GVPATS77, I am not sure if the political winds will flow that way. There will be some vocal opposition among the citizenry to the Beavers leaving, but the city council has a solid 2 votes in the "I don't care" category, and the previous holdout now, Randy Leonard, now says he "won't hold the soccer deal hostage any longer". The more important issue is how the departure of the Beavers will affect the new financing plan.

15. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Vancouver residents would shit themselves for some entertainment options like AAA baseball.

16. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Link: http://www.oregonlive.com/opinion/index.ssf/2009/06/paulson_pulls_the_plug_on_lent.html

This is a good thing, by the way. Not negative news at all.

17. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

http://blogs.wweek.com/news/2009/06/19/breaking-randy-leonard-now-to-vote-against-soccer-deal/

Damn it. He said all along he would do this, but his statement about decoupling made it seem like he wouldn't follow through. I guess he is sticking to his guns.

18. soccermaul

soccermaul Red Card

May 28, 2009
    On the Bus..
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. soccermaul

soccermaul Red Card

May 28, 2009
    On the Bus..
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I would now say soccer in PDX is officially in trouble. Paulson's hot-headedness seems to have scared Leonard of the Aye side.... Granted, this is just after a rather raucous Lents meeting, so cooler heads may prevail...

21. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD

Paulson's hot-headedness? I think you mean Leonard's.

22. lfcli30

lfcli30 Member

Jun 21, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wow, Randy Leonard seems like a pompous little prick. Why vote for the de-coupling, only to hold Paulson hostage and ruin the financing plan for PGE park? This doesn't look good for Portland at all.

I think it's time the Timbers fans take to the streets and start protesting.

23. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

http://blogtown.portlandmercury.com.../19/breaking-paulson-withdraws-lents-proposal

24. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

http://blogs.wweek.com/news/2009/06...-neighbors-—-why-lents-may-be-cheering-today/

The reaction to Paulson and Leonard at the meeting in Lents last evening was extremely heated. It most likely impacted both Paulson's and Leonard's stances this morning. They probably chased Paulson away, and they probably made Leonard worried about his seat on the council. Leonard also grew up in Lents, so there was probably a lot of embarrassment from being heckled by his own neighborhood.

25. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Don't get me wrong, Leonard sounds like a giant prick, but this isn't the first time that Paulson has metaphorically picked up the ball and threatened to go play somewhere else during this process.

As for why Leonard voted in favor of the decoupling, it sounds like he voted in favor of the decoupling after he got assurances from Paulson that he'd keep the team in Portland. Paulson's letter seems to have had the effect of convincing Leonard that Paulson isn't serious about keeping the team in Portland.