one very stupid 2nd yellow

Discussion in 'Referee' started by msilverstein47, May 20, 2013.

1. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just surprised that Nike or Gatorade hasn't patented a GMO'd orange that has the logo growing on the skin of the fruit......

dadman repped this.
  2. refontherun

refontherun Member+

Jul 14, 2005
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was AR on a U16B game a couple of years ago. I saw what I thought was the dumbest red card I'd ever see. Keeper had the ball at his feet burning a few seconds off the clock. No one else within thirty yards. An attacker came into the PA and, just as the keeper picked up the ball, did a two footed slide tackle through the keeper's legs:eek: . The tackle was probably red worthy on it's own, but the kid was already on a yellow. Either way, everyone knew he was gone.

The OP has that one beat by a mile.

3. campbed

campbed Member

Oct 13, 2006
    New Hampshire, USA
    Let me try to rephrase without silly examples. Keep in mind what JimEwrld asked. If the celebration occurs right after the winning kick from the mark, i.e. no further kicks are now necessary, are there now no repercussions if a player removes their shirt (or worse I'd add).

My point is, no there is not some magic switch that gets thrown as the winning goal crosses the goal line or the final whistle sounds, that removes all responsibility to behave from the players. That is all I meant to make sure those who read that mini-thread realize.

I disagree in practice that IFAB is only after delayed restart. Their further advice (and pictures) saying to punish wrestling masks is an example for me that they are after DR and inflammatory behavior as well.

So, back to JimEwrld.

Next to last KFTM that ties the game:
    - player strips shirt 100% of us caution. (or you won't be getting more games that go to KFTM ;))
    - puts on mask 100% of us caution.
    - lifts shirt with a written message underneath to celebrate. 100% of us caution.

Last KFTM that wins the game:
    - player strips shirt (JimEWrld's scenario) - less 100% of us caution is seems. I do. Inflammatory.
    - puts on mask 100% of us caution. - I HOPE 100% of us caution. Inflammatory.
    - lifts shirt with a written message underneath to celebrate. I HOPE 100% of us caution. Potentially VERY inflammatory.

What I was getting at in my poorly worded previous post were these last two scenarios, YES even though the game is over, no restart to delay, there CAN be repercussions (i.e. cautions and send offs).

[and no, once the celebrations are over and the players are exchanging pleasantries and jerseys with themselves, officials, and staff, no one is going to caution that, UNLESS!!!... but that is another thread]

4. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Doesn't it matter what the message is though, a la Iniesta's tribute to his dead friend. As long as he doesn't cover his face with his shirt...

Most of this still baffles me though. I think context should matter more than making it automatic. But I don't agree with a lot of things FIFA/IFAB do. And I'm not sure I've ever gotten how most of these things are "inflammatory". Most of it is just silly.

5. kayakhorn

kayakhorn Member+

Oct 10, 2011
    Arkansas
    We agree on this. It just comes down to what conduct you consider inflammatory. I've not had to deal with this exact situation, but a player who scores the final winning goal during KFPM and then removes his jersey as he runs back to celebrate with his teammates probably wouldn't get a caution from me since the game is over. Waving that jersey in the face of the losing keeper or waving it to taunt opposing fans would absolutely be misconduct.

dadman repped this.
  6. Nashvillian

Nashvillian Member

Jul 1, 2004
    Isn't it obvious?
    That's very true. It's almost all relative (or should be). What's the context of the act? Is the message on the shirt under the jersey a heartfelt tribute to someone? Or is it something vulgar? Does the mask have a specific meaning in that local or national culture or even just between the two teams? Or is it a fun mask borrowed from a spectator in a match taking place during Mardi Gras?

The instructor at our Advanced Clinic a year or two ago said there are no longer any mandatory cautions. This can be a bad thing when you have one referee who lets players get away with anything and another who is overly sensitive. But on balance, I think, it's a good thing because there's an awful lot that should be considered in context before determining if a caution is appropriate.

7. Paper.St.Soap.Closed

Jul 29, 2010
    Well... sort of. FIFA uses the term "must" for several instances of misconduct and removing the shirt is one of those. So, reading the letter of the Law you really need to caution if you see the behavior.

I think the best way to deal with this is just not to "see" the shirt removal at all because if you see it, you must deal with it. As campbed mentioned above, there are some situations I think that you can get away without the card (the shot to win KFTM is a good example). However, even if there is no message on the undershirt or the action is not inflammatory, if a player removes their shirt after a goal during you really need to card them. Everyone knows the Law by now.

8. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    What language is that the spectators are speaking?

Justin Z repped this.
  10. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it ain't Scottish...

11. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    English with a Scots accent/dialect.

PH

12. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    Since the thread is a year old...

dadman repped this.
  13. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Very suspicious. No protest from team mates or coaches. Most likely deliberate to get desired suspension,
    and be available for more important match later.

PH

14. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    In a perfect world that would be preferable but in the real world we live in it would become an even greater mess than what we have now.

15. HoustonRef

HoustonRef Member

May 23, 2009
    Seems like we had that discussion in another thread not too long ago. Discussed "acceptable" versus "unacceptable" ways to get sent off and suspended in order to obtain something in the future.

16. Chas (Psyatika)

Oct 6, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    I thought it was related to the Croatian player at the 1998 World Cup, who scored a goal, removed his shirt...and couldn't get it back on!

It was one of those jerseys with a second shirt built into it (hard to explain). He accidentally twisted it within itself, and had to leave the field to fix it while the match restarted without him. They eventually had to use a pair of scissors to cut away the "inside" shirt so that he could put it back on and get back into the game.