Once In A Generation/Thousand Years - The Iker "EL CAPITAN" Casillas Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by blanc, May 9, 2011.

1. mymy33

mymy33 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    Dat onesie :inlove:

2. plyka

plyka Member+

Sep 27, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Quite frankly I don't like iker at GK. Madrid fans just love him for emotional reasons but GK wise he is about average in my book.

Shot stopping he is very good, as far as set pieces or corners he is average. Distribution he is just god awful. I don't understand why he takes so long to distribute the ball? In the end it's always a hoof 60 yards up field which means an automatic turnover to the opposition. The only time he hurries in distribution is when he hurries to hoof the ball to the opposition. When he takes his time, he walks around back and forth then decides to hoof it 60 yards to the opposition. It is just idiotic in all respects. And hard to watch.

Hendrix22 repped this.
  3. Crimson

Crimson BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 11, 2009
    zzzzzzzzzzzzz

4. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    No player is perfect. Distribution and set pieces have always been a weakness of his, although I think he's improved in the latter. You'll find faults in each keeper. But what he does provide, it's world class.

Digital, MadridFan22304, Crimson and 3 others repped this.
  5. Mr. Strange

Mr. Strange Member

Jul 10, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    His distribution is suspect I agree BUT the reason he was hoofing the ball vs. Barca was because he didn't have other options. Pepe and Ramos were either covered or when they weren't they'd be given the ball and they would return it to Iker because of lack of options. This is a team issue vs teams that press.

6. MadridFan22304

MadridFan22304 Member+

Apr 26, 2012
    DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, we just won a cup where we allowed 1 goal in the entire tournament. And that was a defensive blunder leaving someone unmarked AND it deflected in off the post. But let's criticize the goalkeeper.

Excape Goat, Lyra and sleepyvato50 repped this.
  7. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Agreed that he needs to stop hoofing the ball. Pass better, or at least give it to the closest defender, I'm sure Pepe or Ramos will play a better long ball if theres no other option.

But its true his distribution has always been weak. At least now he's back with his regular authority as a shot stopper.

8. Subtractam

Subtractam Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    With Real Madrid making it to the final, and it being a long month away, what are your thoughts on Iker starting a few games to prepare? I remember this was discussed in a press conference where a journalist said: "Hypothetically, if RM were to make the final, would Iker get starts?"
    And Ancelotti replied something along the lines of "maybe". So what are your thoughts?

9. RaMaaa

RaMaaa Member+

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    he not just should, he Must play at least one game before final imo.

10. .halamadrid2.

.halamadrid2. Member+

Nov 5, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I remember Carlo making it very clear that Iker would play the remainder of the LaLiga games due to it being nearly a month between the Semi-Final and Final. Wonder if he will stay true to his word

Eddie repped this.
  11. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Good point, i totally forgot that even though we mentioned it here a few weeks back.

I see no reason why Iker can't start in La Liga, apart from a possible injury.

12. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    He should definitely start the majority, if not all, of the remaining games. I'm sure that situation was discussed with both keepers.

13. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He should start. He's back to his best.

His distribution is so horrible though. Every ball he kicks upfield is a lost ball.

14. MadridFan22304

MadridFan22304 Member+

Apr 26, 2012
    DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, we have 4 games left:

05/04 - Valencia
    05/07 - @ Valladolid
    05/11 - @ Celta
    05/18 - Espanyol

I think we can just alternate them. Iker starts Celta (which is a week after Munich, leg 2) and then Espanyol (a week before the Final). Let Diego Lopez play the other 2.

15. 9Qui

9Qui Moderator
    Staff Member

May 26, 2004
    Valladolid?

16. MadridFan22304

MadridFan22304 Member+

Apr 26, 2012
    DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My bad, yes.

9Qui repped this.
  17. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I might have done a mini rotation in the last four but it looks like we got our answer finally.

18. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Happy birthday Capitan!

[​IMG]

19. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Iker doesn't want a happy birthday you snivelling worm! He wants a Bugatti, like Yaya got.

20. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is true that goalkeepers get no recognition. After the kind of year Iker has had a single well wisher in this thread on his birthday. Hopefully more trophies are his compensation.

21. Deep Pal

Deep Pal Member+

Jun 19, 2013
    India,Kolkata
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Casillas while starting as gk in all matches, average goals conceded -.47
    Lopez, while starting as gk in all matches, average goals conceded- 1
    Saves per goal, IK - 6.7
    Saves per goal, Lopez- 2.4

22. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Where did you get these stats?

23. Deep Pal

Deep Pal Member+

Jun 19, 2013
    India,Kolkata
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    It was there in an article in managingmadrid.com

24. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The saves per goal was weird, i don't remember seeing that stat ever before, granted i don't look up many GK stats. But i remember reading that DL had more saves than Iker in about the same amount of games this season.

25. Deep Pal

Deep Pal Member+

Jun 19, 2013
    India,Kolkata
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Well there's a staggering difference in the numbers for sure . The site I mentioned is generally accurate about these stuff, I have never seen them posting b.s or made up numbers .