On American Soccer: Altidore's Sunderland move hits bottom

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by LouisianaViking07/09, Apr 10, 2014.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1614...res-sunderland-move-hits-bottom?ICID=HP_PN_30

The odds that he scores in Brazil? Could 2 or 3 great goals/performances be enough to get him a decent move from Sunderland? Should JK have a therapist or hypnotist on the plane to help? Or are we to prepare ourselves that our best striker might be playing in the Championship or moving to a 2nd tier Euro league where he can be the Big Man?

2. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    I'll go this route, with MLS added into those options.

3. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd prefer him returning to the Netherlands rather than sticking it out in the Championship. Ideally Jozy would be able to put together two/three good seasons with, let's say PSV, and then move onto a slightly superior league like France or Portugal. I think those leagues would be good fits for him as they're not predicated on physicality like England.

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    If he's transfer-listed by Sunderland, there would be plenty of teams around Europe who'll remember his fantastic 2012-13 season in the eredevisie. That's not ancient history.

Getting the hell of Sunderland is a good career move for the vast majority of players.

7211, danielh, bye_urn and 1 other person repped this.
  5. Cubanlix63

Cubanlix63 Member+

AFC Ajax
    Feb 19, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think Jozy is on some big wages at Sunderland(I think 40,000 a week) which could make potential deals difficult.

6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'm sure he would cut them to ensure a move to a good club. He did before back when he went from La Liga to Eredivisie (though of course his wages were not as high as now. He runs a charity so he ain't exactly greedy)

7. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to wonder: Is Altidore going to even go to Brazil? This season has been so terrible that one can't say he is in anywhere good enough form for it. The World Cup is not the place to go finding himself.

8. ClevelandForce

Jan 27, 2010
    There's only one word to describe Jozy's "forays" at both Hull City and Sunderland: dismal. Hey, at least he didn't sleep-in and miss a match this time.

9. LuckofLichaj

LuckofLichaj Member+

Mar 9, 2012
    Ligue 1 isn't predicated on physicality? You must not watch much of it.

10. MLSFan10

MLSFan10 Member

Mar 23, 2014
    When's the soonest he came come to MLS? Could probably get him a few games in MLS before the WC...

11. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    He wouldn't be able until after the next transfer window opens in Europe, after the WC.

12. RoyalWhites

RoyalWhites Member

Jan 16, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Jozy has been a disappoint to say the least. Very concern heading to the WC.

13. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. Not to mention Klinsman would literally be pulling the trigger on the rest of Altidores psyche.

14. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Your concern shouldn't any different if Jozy had 20 goals for Sunderland. If MB, CD and LD are off, the 'in-form Jozy would be useless.

15. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. If they give him the chances, he will finish them off.

16. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he probably should have put a few more in, but the service he and the other strikers on his team are getting is pathetic. He doesnt have a problem with physicality, its the service....Sunderland is terrible...i actually think he would do very well in France....you cant just plug and play in the PL...i guess thats what everyone expected, but when your post up striker doesnt get the service he cant score....see RVP this year compared to a totally different attacking presence last year...a lot of good strikers dont score a lot when put in the wrong set up....its obvious the management at Sunderland has no clue what they are doing with coaches as well as picking the right players for a system

17. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jozy has misse a couple sitters this year but I generally agree with your premise. Only problem is, can we create those chances against the likes of Germany, Portugal and Ghana?

18. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Sunderland weren't absolutely pathetic I would be worried but I think he'll be able to get his mojo back in the Pre-WC Camp.

7211, Wessoman and Mr Martin repped this.
  19. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this very optimistic.

20. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've gotta absolutely destroy Azerbaijan in the first friendly. I want to see Altidore score as many goals as possible so that he can get his confidence back.

21. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    When is that game because I wanna watch it and that Azeribaijan team is no pushover

22. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Somehow Johnson and Ki manage to score a few

23. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Are you serious?

Jesus Christ, SJ fans are ruining these boards almost single-handedly with their clear agenda against anyone not named Wondo..and I'm a big Wondo supporter too.

Wessoman and Chance repped this.
  24. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Altidore's form is the issue. He's getting no playing time, is not enjoying his football, and hasn't excelled for the US in his past 3 matches. It's unlikely he'll all of sudden turn it on at the Camp.

25. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, clearly Wondolowski is the solution to our issues at striker.
    It is totally possible for Altidore to feel rejuvenated after being in hell at Sunderland.