Omar Cummings traded to Houston

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by crazyjon85, Dec 22, 2012.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Next year maybe, but Marx said he was overpaid and I find that hard to agree with given his $90K or so number over the last few years.

And yes, this is looking more and more like the Rapids getting themselves out of a corner they painted themselves into just 7 months earlier. Given that I think they did a good job, but poor decision-making in May forced their hand. The time to more than double Cummings salary would have been May of 2011 just after his 2010 season and his trip to Aston Villa, not 2012 after a poor season.

That said, he did get off to a hot start to 2012, with 3 goals and an assist (but a costly missed PK) and at least 83 minutes of play in the first 9 games before being injured in the 14th minute of the 10th game and missing the 11th game completely 2 days before his contract extension was announced. Up until his injury in the 10th game he had 812 minutes, 3 goals, 1 assist. After his injury for the rest of the season (24 games) he had 1188 minutes, 3 goals, 1 assist.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  2. CommodoreSlacksburn

Apr 11, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think that MLS roster rules come into play for mid season signings and re-signing players with a guaranteed amount for their current contract with the options of it going up for the next season bumps their value for trade. I'm not saying that's what happened and what's going to happen to the ninja but it makes for good scuttlebutt.

3. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    3 goals in 812 minutes was still slightly below Omar's career average, pre-last season: .332 g/90 min, vs career .352 g/90 min. It's not like he returned to full 2009-2010 form with that slightly warm start, so I think it'd be a little impulsive/poorly thought out if the RFO used that start as a reason to reward Omar. Especially at the 2x rate they ended up with.

I agree with you about the better timing for a new contract, and I remember that season wondering why the Rapids had made no effort to re-up to dissuade him from the Europe dream.

4. Adidas4Life

Adidas4Life Member

May 9, 2005
    His form has fallen off sharply since 2010 , has consistently shown technical short ' comings ' in creating space within 25yrd for a SOG and equally consistent of being hamstrung by injuries.

Welcome Edson Buddle !!

5. WJMarx

WJMarx BigSoccer Supporter

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    O.K. - some clarification!

Vastly overpaid may be an exaggeration, how about vastly overrated or just overrated? Also, several is defined as more than 2 or 3 but not many, thusly, I was wrong but not far off. So Cummings 6 years in the league can be rightly characterized as 2 ordinary years, 2 good years and 2 poor ones. Certainly not the makings of a a stellar career. Indeed, I argue that Cummings good years were linked to Casey, without whom Cummings was very limited.

In Houston, Will Bruin may help to elevate Cummings game but 2009-10 is a memory in Cummings history only, not current reality and not his future!

Cos_Mos repped this.
  6. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marx you have lost me, You like Avila because he "went to" Brandenton even though he has done basically zero professionally. However, Omar is over-rated in your world?

I see a problem with your methodology, a big one.

7. WJMarx

WJMarx BigSoccer Supporter

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think not. Indeed, if you would judge my post in the context in which it was presented its meaning would be straight forward.

Of course, having been a YNT living in Bradenton is no guarantee of long term quality or success. Indeed, most Bradenton "Grads" do not progress beyond their youth experience. However, for me, it affords opportunity to observe and critique these young players. Do not consider me a Bradenton homey, if so, you will be egregiously wrong!

Firstly, as a youth Avila was outstanding. Unlike many others at the Academy, he was a nice boy, a hard working student and a coachable kid. What was not to like? Secondly, as stated, his MLS career has been mediocre thus far. However, remembering his qualities I still see an upside for Avila in a 4-3-3 system acknowledging that his a hard working student and a coachable kid. recent history is not favorable.

Moreover, my assessment and hope for Avila follows having seen him perform regularly as a YNT player and acknowledging that few YNT continue their early successes thru their later years. I assess Avila as Avila. I assess Cummings as Cummings. They are very different players with different qualities. Avila is a very technical player. Cummings is a very fast player. IMO speed without technique gets one Cummings, whereas, possessing quality technique may have a much higher ceiling.

Being fond of Avila, I remain hopeful that he still possesses potential. Maybe yes & maybe no. In any event, 2013 will be watershed years for both players!