Omar Cummings traded to Houston

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by crazyjon85, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Cos_Mos

Cos_Mos Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Broomfield
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ... Like Sturgis AND allocation money perhaps? My assumption is that Sturgis has very little to do with this trade. Omar's stock has been in free fall the last two years and it sure looked like he wanted out.

One can not rate this trade until we see what is done with the allocation money. It seems naive to try.

Soaker888 and 30Something repped this.
  2. dismemberment

dismemberment Member

Dec 10, 2007
    colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 month's is a long long time from now. We've made so many moves already. I wonder If were going to get it all done before February or drag it out the next 3 months with not many info. imagine if the roster stays what it is till February this would really really worry me.

3. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    If Bianchi is to be believed, we don't even know what Omar made last year. And that's in spite of MLSplayers.org's salary information being regularly released and blatantly contradicting Bianchi. MLS books are still apparently being governed by the rules of Calvinball.

Given that, how are we to ever know what is done with the allocation money?

4. Barry Off Eastenders

Jun 3, 2008
    Denver
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Should I start holding my breath now for all these big deals to start happening or will I suffocate while waiting forever?

But hey, as long as the "attractive" football continues I'm happy. o_O

Sports Yak and jayd8888 repped this.
  5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair point, don't kill the messenger. These are the type of questions Bianchi should be asking and reporting on though, not just being a mouthpiece for the FO.

22SteveD repped this.
  6. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has to be on Bianchi, find it hard to believe players union would under report his salary.

Wonder if we could get Denver post interested in Rapids with NFL season winding down, no hockey and baseball not started yet?

7. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could it be that since Omar re-signed part way through the season the union only reported a half season cap hit number since that contract wouldn't have covered the full year?

8. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    What?

You mean we don't have a sure fire replacement for Jeff L. making him expendable for another trade where we come out ahead?

Omar's not going to make 750K next season? I'm sure the Rapids have the best reporters money can buy.

What's next, this team that has no communication, lacks the ability to complete passes, has no attacking 3rd, on field communication issues, and no obvious tactics is going to be called, "beautiful" and "attacking" and "better" than previous teams that did make the playoffs and did have a winning record? Well, I doubt this thread would get THAT silly.

For those of you who were willing to wade through that bitter cynical muck, I apologize, but this poster has serious doubts about the other shoe's ability to drop, and has reached the point where the the attribution that naturally comes from reading between the lines (on these trades/stories) is no longer positive.

Sports Yak, Quinn 33 and 22SteveD repped this.
  9. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Ha, they're riding that horse as long as it goes in the playoffs. Then, they can talk about the aftermath, then reminisce on how good the season was, then pimp Manning for post-season awards, then talk about what they need to do in offseason to get better.

I knew the Broncos were top sports dogs here, but I was surprised by just how much: 350 most popular (most click on) Denver Post sports articles of 2012.

It's kind of hilarious. I count 31 non-Broncos articles:

CU football: 11
    Rockies: 8 (highest rank: 101)
    Mullen High/Dave Logan: 4
    Misc: 3
    Nuggets: 3
    General NFL: 2

10. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm growing desperate for tangibles.

Quinn 33 repped this.
  11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, Cummings was the last player on the roster acquired by Fernando Clavijo. Now the only remnant of those teams is Pablo, who was acquired by Tim Hankinson.

This also means that 10 of the 20 players currently on the roster were acquired in the Pareja era. If we get up to 30 that means 2/3rds of the roster will have been here for a season or less.

Remaining non-Pareja era players (everyone of them has a ring, so nobody Smith brought in in 2011 has stuck):
    Akpan
    Armstrong
    Ceus
    Larentowicz
    Mastroeni
    Moor
    Mullan
    Pickens
    Wallace
    Wynne

12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Omar er-signed in May, a week and a half before the first release of the MLS salaries and way before the second release in October. He played at least 2/3rds of the season under his new contract, so even with prorating his contract for 2012 was less than $150K.

The only way the $200-$250K number would likely be valid as a cap number would be if there were significant escalation clauses in his contract for 2013. If so, the Rapids essentially had to negotiate themselves out of a corner they painted themselves into less than 8 months ago.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  13. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting, Thanks for doing this. Would add that really just 6 starters from this "legacy" group from 2012- JL, Mastroeni, Moor, Mullan, Pickens & Wynne.

14. CommodoreSlacksburn

Apr 11, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can tell you all that we got a good chunk of money but I'm not at liberty to say how much.

15. CommodoreSlacksburn

Apr 11, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We also stood to pay Omar wayyyyyy too much money next year if we kept him.

16. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it enough that we now have more allocation money than we did before sending some to LA for Buddle? Would that be sharing too much?

17. CommodoreSlacksburn

Apr 11, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I can't say but it was good for us. And what we would have had to pay Omar next year would have been well over what he's worth considering his age, injuries and production.

18. WJMarx

WJMarx BigSoccer Supporter

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The Commodore sets sail with "insider info", none of which is unique or meaningful. At the end of the day, Cummings was vastly over paid for a player with several ordinary years, 2 good years and 2 poor years. Nevertheless, he was traded for some sum of money and a worthless git. Will this actually improve the side?

19. CommodoreSlacksburn

Apr 11, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Worthless git"? That's seems far off. I think Sturgis will be able to help shore things up defensively and will fit well into this system. I'm sorry I cannot break the confidence to give you actual numbers. Its a good depth move and we got about as much as we possibly could for a 30 year old forward with 7 goals in the past 2 years and a handful of injuries.

20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $95K was vastly over paid? And considering he's only had 6 years in the league that means he's had 2 good, 2 ordinary (not several), and 2 poor years.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  21. CommodoreSlacksburn

Apr 11, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me settle this. He was set to make over 200k next year.

22. Levy2k6

Levy2k6 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 19, 2010
    Section 129, Row A
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really liked Sturgis in our CCL play. Our addition of Eric Brunner the other week and dynamo president CC speaking about a "big addition that we would all love" the other week meant this deal was coming.

23. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    One fact check before I start: Omar had 9 goals in the past 2 years.

Anyway, with multiple sources now claiming the 200k figure...as much as I love Omar and appreciate all he did for us to get us to hoist the Cup, our FO looks even more idiotic after this deal. By the time the FO signed Omar to an extension (May 18), they had seen him play 18 of those 24 injury-plagued, unproductive months. They should have seen how dependent he was on Conor Casey and a 4-4-2 system in order to get chances, and should have figured in his health and the trading of his roommate/best friend (Kimura) when figuring what Omar's future held. But they went ahead and doubled his salary then?

Good for the RFO for getting themselves out of a mess, but it's beyond stupid to double a guy's contract when they did and to create this mess for themselves.

COMtnGuy and 22SteveD repped this.
  24. CommodoreSlacksburn

Apr 11, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry 9 goals... Every pro sports player has all kinds of wording and clauses and incentives in their contracts that the public almost never sees so what was done originally I'm sure was in hopes that he would return to his 2010 performance. And knowing what he's capable I don't think the RFO got themselves into any "mess", I think they just had high hopes for him and his return. I'm certain not having Casey in there he just wasn't able to adapt the same. New coach, new styles. I wouldn't say he had a terrible year but watching him, you could tell he was just not clicking not just with the style of play but with everyone else's play. Hoping your "star" forward gets himself out of a funk and waving more money in his face is not news by any means an hasn't been for some time. With the young promising talent we have up front I'm hopeful we have good production up there despite losing a fan favorite and all around good guy like Omar.

25. COYP

COYP Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To double Omar's salary at that time was a very poor move. Omar hasn't been very good on the wing so I'm not sure how he was supposed to fit in Pareja's new system. Hopefully, we aren't still paying a substantial part of his contract.

We also renewed Jeff L's contract at a very weird time last year as well. I hope we didn't give him a huge raise and end up trading him for nothing just to get the salary off the books for a player that doesn't seem to fit the system.

I'm not criticizing all the FO's moves but those two seem very poor.