Olympic Referee Appointments & Discussions [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, Jul 22, 2012.

1. MrRC

MrRC Member

Jun 17, 2009
    Sadly the men's appointments are 100% political and 0% based on merit/performance.
    All that these Olympics have confirmed for me is that the governing body of soccer is as political and corrupt as ever. What a shame.

2. colins1993

colins1993 Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you just realizing this sir?
    Happens at ALL levels IMO.

3. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Political, sure. But corrupt? Honestly, part of refereeing at that level has to be an element of politics, and the referees who excel are those that are good at that part of the game. That's not a bad thing. You need the big picture, and the big picture is that referees are not the end for which soccer is played. The organizers, sponsors, players, coaches are all involved, and have way more at stake than the referees. So it makes sense that referees who are excel at that level do so in part because of their political connections. Corrupt is in Africa where bags of money are exchanged for game assignments. But political is the norm, at every level.

Clatts, for example, had a fine game but missed an obvious red card. But big picture, it is probably better for the Olympics that he does the final, and the missed rec card doesn't negate that. He even sold the yellow to the players--you can see them smiling at/with him, instead of freaking out. He is obviously good at that element of refereeing.

Irmatov is a bit more tricky to explain though...

Law5 repped this.
  4. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was just reminded that Clattenburg had this exact same tie at the U20 level in his semifinal last year: http://www.fifa.com/tournaments/arc...tches/round=255635/match=300145901/index.html

Looks to be about 10 or 11 of the same players in the rosters, though not all starters, so the familiarity factor won't be extraordinarily high. Still, it's rare for a referee to see the exact same international teams in such a short window--even rarer when they are outside your confederation. Perhaps a strong performance in Colombia on this match played a role in tomorrow's assignment in addition to the political considerations that PH has referenced.

5. elonpuckhog

elonpuckhog Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Bibi did US Japan twice in just over a year with I would guess pretty similar teams.

6. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair point, but on the women's side there is a much smaller corps of referees going to these tournaments and many of the same national sides are qualifying and advancing. With the confederational rules, it's bound to happen. Happened for Seitz & co., too.

Not so on the men's side. I should have clarified that that is what I meant.

7. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    I think it would be fair to say that the FIFA Referee Committee doesn't much care how often you've seen the teams before. And, realistically, it's not as though you're doing them every week or something.

8. refmedic

refmedic Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Me thinks that at least a portion of this was that by the assignment "rules", and Englishman was eligible to officiate the Olympic Final while the Olympics were being held in England. Not that Clatts isn't good enough to get the game on the merits, but there always seems to be a little bit of home advantage at the Olympic games.