Olympic Referee Appointments & Discussions [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, Jul 22, 2012.

1. vetshak

vetshak Member+

May 26, 2009
    Minnesota
    Right... there was a foul on this challenge. Considering the speed and breakaway nature of the play, I think the AR needs to give input here. Clattenburg may have had a hard time seeing if and how much contact there was.

Also of interest... I only watched the replay on the live feed, but on Mexico's 4th, I'm pretty sure the Senegalese GK was out of the penalty area on the initial deflection. As advantage would have been played and the goal scored, this still would necessitate a caution to the keeper. And, not a coincidence, this is the same AR who would have had to help Clattenburg on the orange challenge on the GK in regular time.

2. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. Good decision, but also smart not to signal it.

billf repped this.
  3. GTReferee

GTReferee Member

Feb 24, 2011
    In my opinion English referees have a conspicuous aversion to sending off players even when it is deserved. And the foul that occured was kicking not jumping at and it totally exceeded the necessary force.

4. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes he was out of the box. But you really think this "necessitates" a caution? I know it is lawful, but I just don't see the point.

5. oldreferee

oldreferee Member

May 16, 2011
    Tampa
    Why?

6. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We agree. If you believe he kicked him, he's gone--no questions asked.

Again, just trying to reason how Clattenburg would arrive at a yellow instead. And there is a distinction between jumping at someone and hitting them with your foot vs. kicking them. It's a fine line, but it certainly could determine how a referee assesses and sanctions misconduct.

7. vetshak

vetshak Member+

May 26, 2009
    Minnesota
    All I can say is that these are extremely athletic people capable of doing things with their bodies that most of us never could. The Senegal player never snuck a peek at the Mexican player before he kicked him. Looking at elements of SIAPOA, I(ntent) does not appear to be present... at least in my opinion. As MassRef pointed out, a player jumps that high, his studs are going to be at head level, and he's probably going to kick his legs in an attempt to get more oomph on the header. That decreases the A(ggressive) nature of the challenge, P(osition) is incidental due to where the ball was, he clearly has an O(pportunity) to play the ball, and the game A(tmosphere) was not really one that needed a send-off. S(peed) of the challenge is pretty much negligible with the ball up high. Sorry, I can talk this down to a yellow.

That doesn't mean it's always a yellow. For me, match atmosphere has a lot to do with the color of the card. U16 boys that have been beating each other all game and are crabby, 2-3 goal difference, 4 yellows for UB challenges to that point... yes, I think red would be more reasonable. But this game... Olympic semi, 2-2 with 15 minutes left, and it's only the second yellow of the match, I see no issue with that being yellow.

8. vetshak

vetshak Member+

May 26, 2009
    Minnesota
    Somebody else pointed it out... DOGSO-H. But if the ball goes into the goal, the DOGSO infraction should still be cautioned for UB.

9. NW Referee

NW Referee Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Washington
    Anybody else notice how often Clattenburg gave the "no more" speech to players? I didn't count how many but it seemed like a lot.

10. oldreferee

oldreferee Member

May 16, 2011
    Tampa
    I agree with all that. I was just wondering if you thought it was a "must", "should have" or "could have"???

11. vetshak

vetshak Member+

May 26, 2009
    Minnesota
    I need to rephrase... could have. Pg. 126 of LOTG/I&G.

"If the referee applies advantage during an obvious goal scoring opportunity and a goal is scored directly, despite the opponent's handling the ball or fouling an opponent, the player cannot be sen off by he may still be cautioned."

The play we are discussing probably didn't need a caution, but consider if the ball doesn't go into the goal... it HAS to be red. I know, we could argue whether the touch would have actually ended up in the goal, but it seems anytime a keeper handles outside the PA on a breakaway, it is generally accepted to be a send-off. That makes the GK's action on this play at least UB. Do we need it (because only the AR would have known)? Probably not. But we should at least be aware of it and not simply shrug it off either.

12. GTReferee

GTReferee Member

Feb 24, 2011
    vetshak: talk it down all you want. When a player jumps up and kicks an opponent with studs in the face he has endangered the safety of the opponent and exceed necessary force to play the ball. No reason to over analyze this, it's quite straightforward.

13. oldreferee

oldreferee Member

May 16, 2011
    Tampa
    Yep. and thanks for the thoughtful reply

14. vetshak

vetshak Member+

May 26, 2009
    Minnesota
    GT, I understand your comment and your position. But if you take a black and white approach to this, you're going to hit a wall with the level of game that you can work. Talk to some nationals and pro fellas and ask them for their opinion.

I'm not saying it's not red. I'm saying it depends.

15. GTReferee

GTReferee Member

Feb 24, 2011
    I understand that a majority of soccer is grey with many nuance. However, somethings are quite simple and as referees we should be wary of over thinking them. This is one of those.

16. ColoradoRef

ColoradoRef Member

Jul 10, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Byrch is going to be busy today . . . lots of plastic so far (all deserved, btw).

17. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A German referee, on a match like this--particularly where Honduras took the lead--is going to get interesting. And I mean that as a compliment to Brych. A lot of referees in this hemisphere and many around the rest of the world would put up with the inevitable fouling and gamesmanship that's going to come. Brych, I suspect, isn't going to bat an eye. The longer this stays 1-0, the tougher this is going to get.

18. ColoradoRef

ColoradoRef Member

Jul 10, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    5 yellows, 1 red (for a 2nd yellow). 34th minute. and 16 fouls.

19. Kempa

Kempa Member

Sep 6, 2007
    Washington Suburbs
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Crisanto doesnt give Brych any chance to be lenient. Gets the first yellow, shows clear dissent that is ignored. Not a minute later he goes hard for Neymar's shin after the ball had left. Well deserved 2YC red.

20. ColoradoRef

ColoradoRef Member

Jul 10, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. He's done well, and that was beyond stupid by Crisanto.

21. Kempa

Kempa Member

Sep 6, 2007
    Washington Suburbs
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Any comments on Brych's foul recognition and calling? Some handling calls were borderline, and he seems to be calling many fouls that others would have deemed trifling.

22. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, I think he's let a few things go that might otherwise needed to be called. There were a few clear shirt grabs that he's had players try to play through. It's a tricky balance for him. He had to know what was going to come from Honduras, after watching the game vs. Spain. So he knows he has to keep a lid on things. But if he calls every single foul, he's going to encourage more embellishment and gamesmanship. Not an easy position for a referee and, I really think it should be noted, not an easy position for a UEFA Elite referee from Germany, who really doesn't see this type of encounter that often.

23. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing new, but Balboa's comments are ridiculous.

24. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    5 cautions, 2 goals - and only +2 to the first 45. ???

25. usaref

usaref Member

Jan 13, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On a hypothetical note in regards to the red card, had this game been an MLS game/game in the US, I think that there wouldn't have been a 2nd yellow there. You just cautioned him and it just felt "right" for him to get another chance (deserved or not). I'm just saying that it wouldn't hurt in a domestic game to keep him around.

However, since this is an international tournament, referees have far less room to use cautions as a tool and must use it in a more "by the book" fashion. Where we (the US) would read "may be cautioned" even though the book says "requires a caution", all the referees in international tournaments must read "requires a caution" and act on that.