Oldham Athletic vs LIVERPOOL - FA Cup 4th Rd. - Jan 27 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by usscouse, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Fussballer

Fussballer Member+

Liverpool FC
    Sep 18, 2002
    In my head
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wells, it's certainly not Leeds Utd, whom I supported before supporting LFC, but I feel pretty much the same way. It's frustrating to see every transfer period somebody bought that's been hyped-up to turn out to be a big disappointment. On the pitch, from Rafa's last season to BR, it's been frustrating to see the manager out-managed and make some really poor tactical choices.

But there's been some recent bright spots, namely Sturridge, who looks like the best purchase since Suarez, and the emergence of the youth contingent so it's all not doom & gloom.

2. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you really just say that out loud?

I seem to recall some pretty dark times early in Rafa's reign, including an FA cup loss to lower league opposition.

liverbird repped this.
  3. lotsogolazo

lotsogolazo Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I'm sure your question was rhetorical but since you quoted my post, I'll hazard a response. I don't know what to tell you. I'm not an oracle. But the Liverpool of old is long and gone.

Between 2005-2009 we were in the mix. I think that will be the exception more than the rule in the current ultra-capitalist world of football in England. Success in football in England comes down to money. To compete every year, you need to spend a lot of money. We did that in 2005-2009. Problem was we spent more money than we had. The position we're in now is a consequence of that. I'm sure Portsmouth thought something similar over the same period of time...

So we may "reach the sky" again, but expecting it to happen magically and overnight will only result in disappointment. Might as well try to enjoy the process. If you want the Liverpool of old, I'd recommend buying the History of Liverpool DVD and playing the whole thing from the beginning to the Dalglish management era on a loop. Or you could play Fifa/Football Manager.

4. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This explains a lot ... wow.

usscouse and liverbird repped this.
  5. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I don't know if it's because a lot of you are young or only got interested after the CL win but we have pretty much always, with a few seasons exceptions, been in the mix. Evans and Houllier both had us close to the title and we will do so again in the future. AT the end of this transfer we will once again be one the biggest spenders in the league, as we were last season. Our problems have been on the pitch and posssibly the football interference by the owners but financially they have been fine.

The last few years we've been awful but that's mainly down to the previous ownership and the constant change in management with a new influx of players each season. It's important that at the end of this season we keep some stability with Rodgers and our key players and build from that.

For me one thing need's to change. The owners need to realize that if they want to keep their fanbase happy then they are going to have to compete for the other cups that are not the Champions League, despite the financial rewards not being as great. We've maintained our fantastic world wide support and prominence within the game despite not having lifted the league for over 2 decades because we've picked up silverware.

kick96 repped this.
  6. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree in general, but I'm not too arsed about it this year. We need to progress in the league, and until our squad is more developed (both in experience and depth), cup runs will be a luxury that perhaps we can't afford.

7. lotsogolazo

lotsogolazo Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I agree with what you say. Keeping the fanbase happy and winning trophies is key. Two points of contention would be:

1) I doubt these owners are sending instructions down about care more for these trophies than others. They want the biggest money, which is in the CL and higher league finishes, but I doubt they're communicating down the lines that we need to focus on the league more than the cups. That's probably more to do with the manager being given goals and him working with what he has to achieve those goals. Small difference. FSG's want for money dictates what they lay out as goals for the management staff, who then pick out how to prioritize.

2) I feel like this year there is an urgency to make a big step towards the top four, possibly at the expense of other competitions, because the risk of losing Suarez and other CL-quality players increases the longer we don't offer Champions League competition.

I agree with your post, especially the part about young fans who joined after the CL win. That's me. So would you say we will "reach the sky" again, so that we can then fall from it?

8. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Suspended disbelief..!

9. Fussballer

Fussballer Member+

Liverpool FC
    Sep 18, 2002
    In my head
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    My shrink said the same thing when I "confessed" to be being a former Leeds supporter.;) Still hold some feelings for them and their victory over Tottenham on Sunday helped alleviate some of the pain from the Oldham loss.

10. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok all big teams go out of Cups at one time or another. And yes we need to do better in the league. However, we are adding players yet we are actually in about the same place we were last year. Yes, we did well last year by winning the League Cup and making the FA Cup final but we weren't in any European competition. Now we are in the knockout stage in the UEFA and out of the domestic cups. About the same place in the league as last year. So if we are making progress then it will be judged by our results over the next three months or so. YNWA.

11. blanconi

blanconi Member+

Aug 25, 2008
    That is the truth whether one likes it or not. That's why I constantly kept saying that the current owners need to make some big signings during the summer.

I never said it would happen overnight. In fact, I said we were on a great trajectory, before it came crushing down.

The whole play it on a loop and football manager stuff is just nonsense on your part. I'm just going to ignore it.

What I want is not a repeat of old glories on tape but new glories. That's the whole point!

Simply put, it's about the status of Liverpool in the footballing world.

12. kick96

kick96 Member

Nov 10, 2012
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I think most of you are aiming too high. Yes we have the potential in our players at the moment to win cups and challenge for a champions league place. The reality of it is that we do not have half the consistency that the big clubs in england have. I know i just said we aren't a big club but for the last 2-3 seasons we have not been. I personally, am very confident with rodgers at hand. I think the man is a great manager and the only reason we lost to oldham was due to a horrible mindset by our younger players, you can never expect easy opposition. I believe once we can get the consistency in our results, which is starting to come, and really start to get the system in full swing, something we are also starting to show, then can we be considered rivals to city and united for the league. You look at the squad and there are already many brilliant players but, we just need to add a few more of them and pull in some squad players, those who are willing to sit back and ready to be called upon when needed. I'm sure our too young and talented, yet very expensive midfielders, hendo and allen will start to justify their price tags in the coming seasons. I am one of the least optimistic reds but these are my views.