Oldham Athletic vs LIVERPOOL - FA Cup 4th Rd. - Jan 27 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by usscouse, Jan 19, 2013.

1. blanconi

blanconi Member+

Aug 25, 2008
    This was absolutely pathetic.

2. poopoobigelow

poopoobigelow Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 3, 2007
    VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    Robinson is still a looooong way, in afraid to say. So many bad decisions.

Before everyone slaughters out team and manager, remember this is a FA cup tie.

3. B.A.

B.A. Member+

Sep 12, 2007
    IL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, this loss is shameful.

4. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Cup football is notoriously difficult and you cannot afford to give teams the room and leeway we gave Oldham. I think there is merit in making sure the fringe players get a game from time to time, not just in the Cups. The back four looked like perfect strangers and defended like them. Well done and good luck Oldham. Not sure what else to make of this game except to say that Jones has confirmed that he just is not a top footballer, and it's not just the gaffe.

5. blanconi

blanconi Member+

Aug 25, 2008
    What is that supposed to mean? That it's ok to be losing to shitboxes like Oldham? :confused:

6. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bright spots?

Henderson.
    Skrtel worked hard, but we need another CB with aerial ability and some toughness.
    Allen wasn't afraid to fight. God bless him.

Sterling and Wisdom didn't show up today. I don't know if they were poor, but they didn't make much of a positive impact on the game.

Wingtips1 repped this.
  7. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes, and it's been happening since time immemorial. Does not mean we can't be critical of the players, though, because they were bobbins.

8. sackpack

sackpack Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Margate, NJ
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If anyone wants to know why Robinson and Coates get no run, there you go. Weak performances by just about everyone, save Joe Allen. Henderson giving a clinic on the "back pass." Wonderful.

9. poopoobigelow

poopoobigelow Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 3, 2007
    VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    Yup, that's what I said. It's okay to lose this match.

I don't want to read five pages of sweeping hyperbolic comments of how shitty we are, how we can't expect to challenge for anything, Rodgers out, so-and-so isn't fit to wear the shirt, et al. Do you?

By all means, analyze the failings of the game and remonstrate like intelligent persons.

el-capitano, lcstriker11 and Twenty26Six repped this.
  10. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    seriously - if Robinson gets a talking to from BR he better expect it.

11. propeller74

propeller74 Member

Sep 15, 2008
    LA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since I still feel ashamed at how we played at Mansfield, this doesn't sting at all.

12. blanconi

blanconi Member+

Aug 25, 2008
    Just because it has happened, that doesn't mean it should happen. The FA was probably the only competition we would be competing for this year (barring some extravagant come-back into the CL spots). Pissing it away on Oldham is unacceptable.

No, it's not ok. By any stretch of the imagination. We were shit. That's a fact. And to be perfectly honest, playing like this, with the inconsistency we have is precisely why challenging for the title and most importantly the CL (not just the CL spot), is not happening (and not sure if it will happen any time soon).

No one is calling for BR getting sacked. I don't know what that is about. What I'm saying is, there is no excuse (historical or otherwise) that we should be losing (especially the way we did) to this shit club.

13. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Coates looks like he has never seen a football in his life. Jones a total donkey. Robinson needs to look in the mirror the next time he says "f uck off." Borini, will you ever do anything? That's all I can say right now, still blind with rage.

14. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I agree with the rest of your post, but not the above. It's this attitude that got Kenny sacked in the summer. If you cant challenge for the league then you have to be realistic and challenge for the cups, it's both good for the supporters, the players and a building block for future success.

never walk alone TPK repped this.
  15. blanconi

blanconi Member+

Aug 25, 2008
    I'm not ashamed. They (team) should be ashamed... And my guess is, that they are.

To me it's just hard to fathom how they could play so bad and get beaten like they did by fukcin' Oldham, which in all honesty, dominated large parts of the game.

16. ThatEndDown

ThatEndDown Member+

Dec 2, 2010
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, I will be completely honest: this loss doesn't bother me outside of one thing that Liverpool still have not been able to address, that is not being able to cope with teams who bully/get physical or press. Outside of that I'm really not bothered. We were poor and if we had been able to get a replay we would have been lucky and honestly would not have deserved it.

Yes, I know, LFC are here to win trophies, trophies matter, that's what it's all about. Personally, I would rather see us focus on climbing up the league table and making an improvement there before we try to compete on three fronts (remember we still have the Europa League to play for), especially where we are still light in a few positions.

liverbird and never walk alone TPK repped this.
  17. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Only at right back. He was anonymous in the middle..

Still developing but the former contributed very little when players needed to stand up and be counted.

Football is a team sport and against hard-running and rumbustious players, we lacked composure, cohesion and direction when we needed it most. Too many changes, maybe? Certainly the defenders were like total strangers with Robinson an absolute disaster. He needs to go out on loan simply to play. Coates also needs to play, one way or the other. The only game changers were the shift to right-back of Henderson and Gerrard. Downing was too safe, Shelvey too late. And too late was the overall response.

Most worrying is how bog standard burly players completely get our defending into a dishevelled tangle. We lost the first header, miss the second ball and are out of position when a runner from deep gets into the action. That is a coaching issue and has been evident against Stoke, Everton, Mansfield, Oldham and Aston Villa (although Bentenke is quite above average).

liverbird repped this.
  18. lotsogolazo

lotsogolazo Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Coates and Robinson proved why they don't get a look. Yikes. Robinson telling Suarez to f*** off is worth him packing his bags and heading out.

Once Downing/Gerrard came on and Wisdom/Borini came off we massively improved. Wisdom/Robinson and Borini/Sterling offered no width. Gerrard was immense when he came on and Downing/Henderson showed good understanding to create width and a lot of corners. We were unlucky not to score two in the last 30 minutes, but that's karma. Shouldn't have given up three soft goals to begin with.

Simply put, the side we started with did not do their jobs. Especially the defenders. Skrtel is the softest hardass I've seen and Coates looked like someone who is used to warmer climes and less-ogrish players.

Defense needs to be the targeted area this summer because today showed we have very little quality depth in that area.

liverbird and usscouse repped this.
  19. blanconi

blanconi Member+

Aug 25, 2008
    This is another thing I don't get. Why does it have to be either/or?

20. poopoobigelow

poopoobigelow Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 3, 2007
    VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    I was being sarcastic. Of course it's not okay to lose this match. But, if you doubt that someone was going to come in here and freak out on Rodgers, or crap all over the squad, then you must not read any post-match threads when we lose.

21. ThatEndDown

ThatEndDown Member+

Dec 2, 2010
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When you don't have strength of depth it makes it difficult to compete on multiple fronts. Especially when you have a big league match (like against Arsenal) coming up in a few days time.

propeller74 repped this.
  22. aw072760

aw072760 Member

Sep 6, 2011
    Dallas, Tx
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He isn't a strong passer, which is required in this system, let alone how he got worked all match...

23. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so true.

24. blanconi

blanconi Member+

Aug 25, 2008
    Oh, well the sarcasm was devoured by the Internets on its way here. Nevermind. ;)

25. poopoobigelow

poopoobigelow Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 3, 2007
    VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    My fault. I forgot to use the sarcasm emoticon. Or, I guess this "*sarcasm*" works.