OL Café III [R]

Discussion in 'Olympique Lyonnais' started by guignol, Jun 1, 2011.

1. CoDave

CoDave Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Colorado USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I was at the game too (paid a huge sum to attend but it was well worth it). Watching the reactions from the players of both teams really showed that this match meant something. The Lyon players were walking around with huge grins and kissing the trophy and the Montpellier players seemed dejected as they watched Lyon during the trophy presentation. They know what this match means before the start of Ligue 1.

2. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Gourcuff played better than I have seen him in a while, though Briand deserved a shot for MOTM. He was very dynamic. Didn't miss Bastos one bit!

3. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    was at the game and was lucky enough to get invited to an afterparty that the players and staff attended. was a great day overall. my very first Lyon game in person and they won a trophy in exciting fashion. got a few pics with a few players (gomis, licha, lloris) and also one with remi garde. i was really too shy to have much of a conversation with anyone but i did go up to benzia and told him he did great when he came on and that his first contrôle du pied was amazing.

i think either gourcuff, briand or lloris were deserving of the MOTM.

4. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France

WOow what ridiculous luck. I wanted to stop by some places before the match to try to meet up with people but my carpool got there late.

5. KellanF

KellanF Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Midwestern US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    :eek: So jealous. How did you manage that?

6. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    jealous is not the word...

7. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i think this is the party he was at:

[​IMG]

8. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Thats the one. My friend from Lyon works for a tourism company and is very involved with promoting the city of Lyon in the US. Somehow he was asked to find a french-speaking New York city guide for Aulas that could take care of the hotel and restaurant reservations etc. So at the game he told me there was an afterparty that Aulas and some of the players were expected to attend and said that he had an RSVP for me. Needless to say I was a bit incredulous but of course I said that I wanted to go.

And many of the players were there with some exceptions like Gourcuff, Lacazette, and Briand. Gomis made a really good impression on me because he showed up early with the youngsters and seemed happy to be there. He walked in with a big smile on his face and me and my friends and I were applauding and he came right up and shook our hands, and I said "bravo....oh and nice goal!"

Aulas made a speech about how Lyon was really happy to be in the US and that with the help of some of the "influential" people in attendance at the reception (not me), Lyon's name and popularity could be spread around the globe. Of course he congratulated the players from both teams for the great display on the field and gave a lot of props to Remi Garde, who was also there.

Some other attendees were Youri Djorkaeff, and his father, Jean, and Ligue 1 president Frédéric Thiriez.

9. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    That's really cool. I hope this won a few more fans to Lyon, the city and the team, and Ligue 1 in general. The neutrals around me seemed entertained with the match.

10. NicolasN.

NicolasN. Member

Oct 25, 2007
    France
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    It's always more enjoyable when it's free.:ninja:

11. Inara

Inara Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    There was a woman sitting in the row behind me, and it was her first ever football match. She'd never heard of Lyon until her boyfriend bought them tickets on living social. But by the end of the match, she was so into it! The way she was shouting at the players and the ref, you'd have thought she was a lifelong plan. My favorite was when she screamed at Lloris to keep it together.

So. Much. Love.

Footy Magoo and lefutur repped this.
  12. KellanF

KellanF Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Midwestern US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    10 days until the opener. If JMA is going to sell some players he better start doing it. I can't imagine it would be good for team chemistry to throw in a bunch of new guys right before the season starts.

13. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    I think he's being too greedy. He wants 10 m for Bastos well he'd better take 7-8 m and call it a day instead of dragging it out. Looks like Steed Malbranque is going to be his replacement from what I've read. He's not getting Sakho and Chantome. That was just a pipe dream. PSG need them for homegrown quotas.

14. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Steed Malbranque set to play the friendly against Porto today. I dont know what to make of that.

15. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I don't blame him. For the fees being thrown out nowadays Bastos should be worth 10 million. The market is just not there for him, I'd rather he stay in that case.

16. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Would be a great signing for a mid-table Ligue 2 side. :thumbsdown:

Even if he's free and low wage, I just don't see Malbranque adding anything. Although, I'd be happy for him to prove me wrong.

17. Inara

Inara Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    At the very least, he'll add some age and experience to an otherwise very young team.

18. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    did anybody watch the friendly versus porto? i just caught the last few mins.

19. KellanF

KellanF Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Midwestern US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I'm much less attached to Bastos than Hugo, but I agree. I feel like $15m for Hugo is a bargain.

I can't find any news stories or anything. Score?

20. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Didn't see the match, but the score was 0-0.

21. CoDave

CoDave Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Colorado USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  22. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
  23. KellanF

KellanF Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Midwestern US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Getting antsy. What is the money that sold Ederson, Belfodil, and Kallstrom going to? :D

24. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The stadium most likely!

25. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    a bit simplistic (a few paltry mil here and there aren't going to build OL-land) but yes, the game plan is budgetary constraints => robust financial report => share evolution => grand stade => bigger and better things ahead. you can say what you want about JMA as a club prez (i think he's a pretty good one) but in this kind of exercise he's a frigging genius. it's how he got where he is today, and even if he obviously defines himself first and foremost through OL, "where he is" entails a whole lot more than just that.