OL Café III [R]

Discussion in 'Olympique Lyonnais' started by guignol, Jun 1, 2011.

1. KellanF

KellanF Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Midwestern US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Something that I've heard far too much this offseason.

2. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Ok guingol, this girl passed up a chance to play college soccer at the best school in the country and chose to sign with PSG. Surely this will convince you now that PSG have high ambitions. I dont know much about womens soccer but I do know its virtually unheard of for an American women to pass up college ball in favor of signing in Europe.
    http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/coll...ollege-soccer-for-paris_aid24647?sct=sc_t2_a4

3. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  4. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    to answer your previous question first krahn is a very good signing and also landmark as very few german girls get lured away from their league, not even the WPS managed much there. they also signed shirley cruz from lyon, probably the most important of the three new players signed so far but since elise bussaglia went the other way that's a push. and perhaps the most important deal of all was getting benstiti as coach.

a couple of interesting things in the horan article: 1) that she did the preseason last year at OL (which i knew) and 2) the role of jerome de bontin in doing the deal (which i didn't).

this is indeed a big media splash for PSG, i'll even say bigger than if they had signed necib (who has just signed a 4 year extension at OL) because the buzz carries farther than just europe.

at the moment PSG is only about even between the talent they've lost and what they've gained, even if horan starts playing to expectations right away, and they'll probably have to do better than this to get a CL spot (there are only two) but things are definitely on the move.

5. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Looks like we we negotiated Al Ain up to 10 million for Bastos. Considering the circumstances, that's not too bad a fee.

I actually think we'd be okay with Pied, Lacazette, and Briand, maybe add another solid player for depth or a promising prospect. I'd rather see the money put towards a defender or a central midfielder than on the outside personally.

StarrMatthieu repped this.
  6. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Anyone watch the game vs Montreal Impact? I saw they ended up winning in penalties.

7. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    actually i didn't even know they were playing. and i've been out painting the front wall of my courtyard since this morning to be finished in time to watch france-USA... in less than an hour now!

8. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how many lyon players on france's first team?I think the nbc commentator said 6 which is astonishing

9. KellanF

KellanF Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Midwestern US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I'd sell Bastos for 10m in a minute if we get a young replacement (greizmann, ahem). I have confidence in Laca, and somewhat in Jimmy, but I didn't see all the much that wowed me from Pied.

10. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Pied is who you should be banking on he's pretty good

11. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Pied had a promising year two years ago, I think he had long stretches of injury last season.

12. Inara

Inara Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I cannot believe Bastos might be going to Al-Ain. In ten years, sure, but he's at the peak of his game. Ugh. That's worse than Lloris going to Tottenham.

Guignol, I haven't been keeping up with the women's team - do you think PSG is ready to commit to the women's team the way Aulas did so at Lyon?

13. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think guignol is still trying to get over the slap we gave to his french girls in the olympics, france was up 2-0 , 2 shock goals and USA managed to come back and win 4-2
    some of the OL ladies performed well some not so great...

14. Tsigalko

Tsigalko Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Källström off to Spartak Moscow.

15. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    [​IMG]

Footy Magoo repped this.
  16. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    it seems so since they just signed bresonik. they've already recruited another german (krahne) and an american pheenom named lindsay horan but all in all their mercato had been pretty even between departures and arrivals until now.

they're nearing par with juvisy and montpellier now; they'll need to do more to bridge the gap with OL but this is probably not the end of their signings.

17. KellanF

KellanF Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Midwestern US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Kallstrom gone for €3M. :confused:

18. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    it doesn't seem like a lot when you think rubin kazan were offering 6M€ last winter, but he's 30 years old, and also that his very good season last year was about the only one where he indisputably earned what is one of the highest salaries on the team. getting out from under that is a financial gain more important than the transfer fee.

19. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Great start to the new season by beating Montpellier. Thought the match was pretty entertaining.

20. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i only switched over after france - north korea, and OL looked pretty good. benzia very promising, and briand amazing.

21. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    When Yoyo put that ball in to Gomis for the first goal, it was right at my end. I watch the whole thing happen as if it was slow motion because I knew Bafe would get it in. It was excellent. I didn't know what to expect, because I consider TdC/Community shield games to be glorified friendlies, but It looked like both sides reallly wanted that game. Had pretty much starting XI out for the whole match too so, can't complain.

guignol repped this.
  22. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i'm glad you could make it and i hope all my friends here who were there had a good time.

it only takes one match to win it, but qualification is very limited so it's a trophy worth winning! and it sets the tone for the beginning of the season so it's normal to take it seriously.

did gourcuff really deserve MOTM? i would have said briand but i only saw the last half hour..

23. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I was in the first row of the upper-deck on the end that we were attacking in the 2nd half, so I had a perfect view of the Briand's goal (as well as his shot that just hit off the post).

Gourcuff played very well, assisted the first goal with a great cross, and some other bright moments. I can't argue much against the Gourcuff MOTM selection, but certainly Briand also put in a very worthy performance. Benzia was great too, looked very promising.