OL Café III [R]

Discussion in 'Olympique Lyonnais' started by guignol, Jun 1, 2011.

1. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
  2. KellanF

KellanF Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Midwestern US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    WHY?!?! Ugh.

3D movies are bad enough. LIFE IS 3D.

3. CoDave

CoDave Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Colorado USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The first thing I thought of was Bordeaux. Perhaps it's a ploy to bring the best out of Gourcuff. ;)

4. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Now its looking very likely that they will miss the Champions League, how much of the payroll do you think will be slashed and what players do you think will leave ? I think OM is cutting their playroll by 15-20m they said from missing Champions League.

5. KellanF

KellanF Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Midwestern US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I would think:

Kallstrom to Russia?
    Cissokho to England
    Ederson to Lazio
    Gourcuff possibly to ??
    Mensah should leave as well.

Honestly I would be okay will all of these. I just hope it doesn't go much more than that. Even selling those 5 players would be a significant relief on the wage bill.

6. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    In all likelihood Lloris will probably leave this summer.

I wouldnt be surprised to see Bastos go either.

7. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    any of these are possibilities, but not all of them will happen. once the target is reached the selling will cease, barring an irrefusable offer.

mensah and ederson are already gone. after that kallstrom seems closest to the door. a shame since he's had his best year ever, but both selling price and salary make his sale likely.

of the others, it will depend on what offers come in and when. cissokho is the most expendable and will be parted with the most readily. bastos and lloris are both under contract until 2015; there's no hurry to sell them so the club that wants them will have to pony up essien type money. i don't see either starting a big fuss to leave. gourcuff is the least likely to go; JMA will make it a point of pride not to sell him at a big loss and i don't imagine the buyers are lining up anyway.

8. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Olympique Lyonnais players could face sanctions for singing anti-Saint-Etienne chants

Several OL players could be punished for participating in offensive chants aimed at the club's rivals after their Coupe de France triumph in Paris at the weekend

A number of Olympique Lyonnais players could face sanctions for joining in on derogatory chants about Saint-Etienne after the club's 1-0 Coupe de France final victory over Quevilly on Saturday.

The trophy was presented to the fans outside the team's hotel as thousands of supporters gathered. Several players including Cris, Maxime Gonalons, Alexandre Lacazette, Samuel Umititi and Jimmy Briand could face punishment for joining in on the chants that were offensive to OL's rival club.

According to Goal.com, Saint-Etienne president Bernard Caiazo stated: "It is the duty of the players and officials to be respectful and not do something that can lead supporters to misbehave.

"It is quite undignified, I do not understand it. There are some big derbies, like Manchester City v Manchester United ... you cannot imagine that the players [from these clubs] start singing these type of songs."

"We, the Saint-Etienne officials, players and fans are shocked."

Caiazo added that he will appeal to the LFP in an attempt to resolve the matter. Meanwhile, Jeremie Janot, goalkeeper for Saint-Etienne, was also critical of the OL players' actions.

"If, by any chance, there is misbehavior and violence at the next derby, they are largely responsible. They have stirred up hatred," Janot stated on Twitter.

"The Lyon players responsible for singing anti-Etienne chants must be punished! They have a duty to set an example. It is unacceptable," he added.

In a similar case from last year, Taye Taiwo was suspended for one game and fined 20,000 euros for participating in offensive chants whilst playing for Olympique Marseille.

9. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France

That includes the long standing general of OL football, and 3 lads that grew up with the club. They are setting the example; OL does not like ASSE. And contray to Caiazo whinings this isn't unpreccedented.

10. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Ok for the last few months all I have really been hearing about is who is going to leave the club. Looks like Aly is gone, so is KK :cry:, perhaps Bastos (Which I don't feel is as big of blow as Kallstrom, though I rate Bastos very highly). Lisandro has said he's staying. Don't know about Lloris, if a big enough offer comes in I could see them making a move (which I think is a HUGE MISTAKE.
    But what about who's to come in? Anyone here any substantial rumors?
    The big one that's been circling is either Martin or Boudebouz. Martin is being heavily pursued by OM, so I'm not sure on him. I'm not sure I even want him now to be honest. I'd take Boudebouz though, we really need some other options at attacking midfield. I read there might be some interest in Corgnet from Dijion. Two foreigners I've read about today are Cristian Tanase from Beucharest and Leo from Cruzeiro. Tanase is also a midfielder, but Leo is a CB and we maybe looking at him to take over for Cris.

11. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    ederson and kallstrom are leaving. next most likely is cissokho, but beyond that i think the only departures would be in case of an irrefusable offer: one that would allow us to recruit a replacement who would be both better and represent a net financial gain.

for arrivals we need a left fullback whether or not aly stays. we also need another MF but not an attacking option in my opinion; with KK leaving we need a number 6 or an allrounder (better than fofana) who can backup or team up with gonalons . for the other positions i don't see any crying needs. all the positions are doubled (except LB) with players good enough (or promising enough) to stick with. check this depth chart:

lloris (vercoutre) (valverde)
    cris - lovren (kone - umtiti)
    rvr (dabo) / cissokho (dabo)
    gonalons (grenier)
    gourcuff (grenier)
    lacazette (briand) - lisandro (gomis) - bastos (lisandro) (pied)

GK : no comment

CB : we have four good bodies and the best improvement we can make is to give them more time and experience together. lovren is a future great in my opinion, and kone has been a pleasant surprise for a player in his first year in the top level. umtiti is also a real prospect, and it's not daft to think that five years from now a pairing of lovren and umtiti could be one of the best in europe. cris is far from finished, now that puel is out of his head, and he back healthy, he has put a series of matches together that prove he really is the captain and, at the moment, the best of these four.

FB : dabo can back up either side, but not at the same time. and he hasn't been stellar either; if cissokho goes we need someone who will start on the left and another body for good measure. (btw, kolo's contract has not been picked up, he's washed out)

DMF : gonalons has been solid, but without KK we will need another possible recuperateur. i have seen grenier get this job done very well both with the espoirs and at lyon, but if he is going to back up gourcuff he can't be au four et au moulin. there's fofana of course, but he hasn't looked that good.

AMF : gourcuff and grenier have such potential that you just have to go with them and they fill the bill, especially when you consider that they will have either three or four of the following in front of them:

STRIKERS : briand - lacazette - gomis - lisandro - bastos - pied

i don't see who besides perhaps PSG could be better equipped. three possibilities right, three left and four center.

my personal conviction is and has always been that a year of experience playing together is worth at least 20 million euros of recruiting no matter how you divvy up that money. especially when a team has only started coming together you need to let them keep at it.

12. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I thought it was strange we were linked with so many midfielders that at a glance doesn't seem up for the work that Kallstrom provides us. I'm happy with our CB core and as I don't know anything about this Leo fella, I can't say if he's an upgrade on any of them. Still no noise in the left back front from what I've heard, and we're not going to spend big on the position. I'm wondering who we go after then. Would it be feasible to steal Henri Bedimo from Montpellier for a reasonable sum haha?

13. KellanF

KellanF Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Midwestern US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I know it will never happen because they're probably both out of our price range, but I would love either Etienne Capoue or Moussa Sissoko.

I too have read a few articles about this Leo kid. He should be worth looking at. Cris is holding up, but he doesn't have forever. It could be good for the kid to have a countryman, at his position, as a mentor.

14. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Capoue looks primed for a move though. He's under contract til 2o15 which will be a problem lowballing Toulouse, but he has played well this year, and I feel it's time for him to make the step up to a more competitive club. Depending on how much we get from our sales it might not even be that bad. I'm thinking maybe, 10 million euro range for him.

Edit. Just looked him up and there are some Inter and Barca rumors circulating Capoue. He might not even consider us, depending on who comes calling.

15. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Cabella would be a great signing to Lyon

16. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    all of m'pellier's price tags rose this season but cabella is probably not worth any more than 10mill but you would have to pry him with a good offer considering him and a lot of other teammates of mhsc will be playing CL for the first time

17. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Hugo Lloris Goalkeeper of the year!!!!

18. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    lefutur repped this.
  19. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Gourcuff is very transferable (at least in Lacombe's eyes) according to the next update.

If Kallstrom is leaving (which seems to be almost certain), then I'm not sure I'd want that. We already will need to fill in one crucial midfield position. I know its a big wage, but he's shown flashes of his old self recently. What do you suppose is the minimum offer we would accept for Gourcuff?

20. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    knowing lacombe, probably break even at 22 mill which not a lot of clubs will pay
    I would honestly just keep him and hope he has a good season

21. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I think Lyon conceded more goals this season than they had in about 10 years. Will the club take any steps to shore up the defense?

22. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The club needs to address whether the problem in starting in the midfield or if it's primarily the backline's fault. I'm not sure who is culpable, but we need to do something. Starting with getting a new leftback

guignol repped this.
  23. KellanF

KellanF Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Midwestern US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Garde signs a two year contract extension. Hmmmm.

24. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I think he deserves it. He can only get better really considering the level of his experience when he first signed on as coach.

25. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003