ok Amercians

Discussion in 'Other Divisions' started by scotholiday11, Nov 27, 2006.

1. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm... Have you considered taking over from Bob Bradley as full time coach of the national team? Might want to apply to USSF?

2. usfooty7

usfooty7 New Member

Oct 27, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I just got back from London - my two friends and I wanted to do a "small stadium" tour but couldn't figure a good weekend to get a few games in. They are Arsenal supporters so we went to Emirates (pretty amazing) - BUT, we SWORE to each other that our next trip is going to include one of my teams (FFC and Reading - 'small stadiums' in my opinion) and either QPR or possibly even a smaller club. The guy above who mentioned underdogs - spot on. The Setanta football review show is brilliant - you learn about all the FL teams and best strikers right there.

3. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    Small stadiums in London that would be an interesting visit, off the top of my head:

Craven Cottage (Fulham)
    Selhurst Park (Palace)
    The Valley (Charlton)
    Vicarage Road (Watford)
    Loftus Road (QPR)
    Glyn Hopkin Stadium (Dagenham & Redbridge)
    Kingsmeadow (Wimbledon AFC)
    Brisbane Road (Leyton Orient)
    Underhill Stadium (Barnet)

4. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    i'd throw Griffin Park (Brentford FC) on that list, as well. up towards 10k on a good day, and, of course, a terraced end. when you don't get over often, it's tough to pass on prem and championship matches (of which there will always be on any given saturday in london) for clubs this small - but if it's the right match, it can definitely be worth it.

5. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

LMFAO at this.....never heard it before....I think I know what it means...

6. Disco Dale

Disco Dale Member

Nov 29, 2005
    N8
    Interesting story, The Valley, off the top of my head, holds about 20-25,000 now, plans to increase it ultimately to about 50,000.... once upon a time was the biggest league ground in England with a capacity of 80,000 odd. As I say, these figures may not be 100% accurate, but its an interesting story if you can be bothered to look into to check the figures (as maybe I should have done...)

7. stonesean

stonesean Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would be willing to bet that most Americans who are fans of european football would be in favor of promotion/relegation and most MLS owners and players would be completely against it. Most USL teams would not be able to cope with MLS requirements...Charleston and Rochester are the two USL teams that might be able to handle it.

It would certainly make those late-season Columbus Crew/Real Salt Lake matches worth watching...

8. goredbull

goredbull New Member

Dec 6, 2006
    how do young americans set up try outs with clubs in England

9. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    They don't.

See a few other threads around here, but you don't stand any real chance. If you're of a standard professional clubs (even the smallest of them) would want you'd have been picked up by a US based side/organisation.

10. Scipio Gothicus

Aug 6, 2001
    Cabo San Lucas
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have never played Championship Manager.

I did take a semester at the University of Nottingham druing the glory years, followed Forest all the way down since.

11. rapidsfan2004

rapidsfan2004 New Member

Aug 8, 2006
    ya i know of six year old american kids that know of the premeirship

12. BuckeyeRed

BuckeyeRed Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    He's Fat, He's Round, He's worth a million pound...Lee Trundle.:D

13. Leedsunited

Leedsunited Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Yorkshire
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Now THAT is a proper achievement. Although I did win the Premiership with Halifax Town in my promotion season, in Football Manager 07

14. stokemanfc

stokemanfc New Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Americans can easily pick up on the Prem because of satellite t.v. ie FSC and SKY sports. I grew up watching taped Man Utd and Stoke/vale games from fam sent in the mail from the midlands.... now I can see games on my home t.v. and get the occasional dvd still :) Americans are also picking up on lower division news through sky sports news and the BBC. As well as more Americans are attracted to lower division uk teams than USL or mex leagues. Footy is growing so fast over here it's a blitz for media and advertising. Besides, I never remember seeing EPL jersey's growing up here but now there everywhere! Many Americans slighty even follow the three lions as well as the US team. you'd be surprised the passion over here runs deep for English "soccer" as they say, as well as Mexican leagues and MLS has a immensely growing fan base. my local team the Timbers are possibly getting promoted into MLS where that seemd impossible 5-10 years ago. It's not uncommon for U.S. fans to have a treble I call it, a national team, a MLS / USL team and a EPL team... therfore they are naturally curious about lower divisions because they appear like most MLS or USL teams in the U.S. are as large as lower division teams in the U.K.

15. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its coz of the internets.

16. Proud Mama

Proud Mama New Member

May 9, 2006
    OC
    Not true. Son is training and playing a game Thursday with Macclesfield. Two weeks previous with Oldham and played with their U18's, and they've asked him back for next year's trials as they already have 3 strikers. Going to see Oldham's first team tonight at their stadium. Heard it is the coldest in the UK as it is at the highest elevation and can get snow in the winter.

Went to visit Old Trafford. Spectacular stadium. Going to the game tomorrow night against Inter Milan. Also visited Bolton's. Very nice stadium. There are many to visit if it's not raining. Last few days however, the sun has been out.

Must say that our experience here has been one where everyone involved in this sport here are the nicest people you will ever meet, and extremely passionate about the game. And if you visit a stadium, you must visit the local pub associated with that club/stadium to get the full flavor and have a pint!

17. Blue Celery

Blue Celery Member

Apr 13, 2007
    E'Gads! I want to go so bad. One of these days I will make it to the Bridge. I also would love to experience some true lower league atmosphere as well. Anyone know which team has the best atmosphere in any of the three lower leagues?

18. Leedsunited

Leedsunited Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Yorkshire
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Its not uncommon for youngsters to go on trial, or even be signed. I played for Greetland Boys FC, where there were nine of us who were signed by Huddersfield Town, Burnley, Halifax Town, one each to Bradford and Leeds and one on trial to Hull City. All of us were released before sixteen except one, Daniel Racchi at Huddersfield Town who signed a two year contract. Oddly enough he was rubbish as a young kid!

The problem with American youngsters would be getting a work permit. Jemal Johnson, Eddie Lewis and others are now UK citizens. We all still go to trials nearly every year in the lower leagues, as we play at quite a reasonable none-league level, as amateurs.

Secondly, Oldhams stadium is okay for League One. It can get somewhat cold, but its nicely enclosed. I'd stay out of the locals though! Old Trafford is a great stadium but suffers from Plasticfanitis so apart from on big European games, or perhaps a decent derby game against Liverpool, Man City or Leeds (sigh!) the atmosphere is rubbish for a stadium of that size.

I think the formula you can use is that for every years 'crop' perhaps two or three if lucky may play for the first team, a couple may forge a career with another club or lower down the pyramid, the rest will be tossing burgers in McDonalds, or else, like me working as an Isolvecy Practitioner and playing for a local side.

I hope your lad is one of the former. If you see Oldham play, give Sean Gregan a nice round booing for me.

19. Proud Mama

Proud Mama New Member

May 9, 2006
    OC
    We're going tonight. We know a boy, 15, at Burnley. He's coming out to California to do his 2-week work experience, and staying with us for a few days. Got to show him the California girls my son said! LOL

After speaking with a 1st team Macclesfield player, he said the same thing about only 2, maybe 3 if lucky will get contracts at 18. The others, unfortunately will be flipping burgers. We talked about American college, however he stated that most stop school at 16, so they don't have the right classes taken to get in. That's kind of sad to me. To go through the academy system for some since they were 12 or even younger, and then they get no offers at 18. Rubbish! At least for my son and other US kids, if they do come on trials here and make it, great! If not, they can always go and play in college if good enough.

Also with the smoking ban in place, and now I hear I can't have a pint while watching the game in the stadium, I'm flabberghasted! Always dreamed of being able to sit at Old Trafford and watch ManU with a pint in my hand! bummer....At least I can get one in the corridor inside.

20. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    there's no money in college sports here (as in absolutely zero money) so being good at the game wouldn't be of any benefit with regards to getting into university here. There's no such thing as a sports scholarship - you have to pass academic exams to get into university.

On the other hand, not getting a degree isn't the bar to employment here that it appears to be over there (it doesn't condemn you to minimum wage jobs). The qualifications you can pick up at 16 are sufficient to get you into reasonable jobs, or at least onto training courses. Leaving school at 16 isn't the same as dropping out of school over there. Unless a kid is going for university, they'd probably leave at 16 as on their own, the exams you get at 18 aren't of much greater value.

21. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    Good luck for him with that, although as mentioned above, but work permits could be problematic. Does he have/can he get an EU passport?

Remember standing on the terraces behind the goal at Boundary Park. Watching a 5-1 win over Luton. Great day out, sadly I'm not too fond of the redevelopment forced upon them.

Never been to Mose Rose though, despite having the chance. Glad I didn't in the end. Macc won 7-0.

22. Leedsunited

Leedsunited Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Yorkshire
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    If the lad is really serious about doing it then thats fantastic, I wish him well. If he is good enough then he might get a short term contract, you never know. Unfortunately at 18, the days of five year contracts ended with Leeds' repeated disasters and the loss of the TV money. If he doesn't make it then ask the coaches what he is lacking, so he can work on it.

Ah Peakite, The Shay, I've played and watched games their many times. All the local cup finals are held there. Fantastic little ground, but I really miss the stone curve at the town centre end and the steep tarmac at the Bus Garage end. It was so different and made looking at the ground interesting. If they ever find the cash, and get into the league they could do better than League Two with a 12,000 stadium.

23. rapidsfan2004

rapidsfan2004 New Member

Aug 8, 2006
    how old is he ?
    and
    how did he get to go on trial ?
    i plan (want) to go on trial for newport county when im 18 .

24. Leedsunited

Leedsunited Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Yorkshire
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Contact the club, I got a trial and day release from school at Burnley because I was scouted and recommended by my teams coach at 14, and also by another coach of a team I happened to play well against. Matthew Kilgallon, the Sheffield United defender got a trial at Leeds by ringing up the club and asking for one. However the caveat, 18 is as has been said on here quite old for a triallist, after youth terms.

1) Are you a holder of/Could you get an EU passport, through relatives etc?
    2) How long until you are 18? I would come over for a trial sooner, if this is possible, they can decide on your potential. As I said, more players are released before 16 here.
    3) What kind of wage would you want to earn. Apart from the first teamers most of those guys at that level have other jobs. I did. You would literally be on a living wage if getting a pro contract at all.
    4) Why Newport? If they havent invited you, I would consider a scattergun approach. Last season before I got injured I went to six clubs, at a similar level, and didn't get any offers, because of my medical history, although I have established myself as a decent defender in a regional league. They can see twenty triallists from local clubs so you really have to make the hassle of getting through the red tape worthwhile for them.

25. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    I haven't been going long enough to remember those. The Bus Garage end a gentle concrete slope and grass opposite. However, it seems as though development could commence again. Supposedly the money from the sale of Thrum Hall never came through.

Problem with the big ground is filling it though. Will be the second largest non-league ground, but attendances seem to have settled down with a dedicated bunch of 1,500 and not that much interest beyond it. Pushing for the title did sell a lot of tickets, but didn't get too mny fans on promotion.