Oh Jamie we hardly knew ya

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by never walk alone TPK, Feb 7, 2013.

1. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    My favorite defender for a long time. We'll see him soon in a track suit on the sidelines.

2. poopoobigelow

poopoobigelow Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 3, 2007
    VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    it is bittersweet as legends retire when they still have something to give. you're sad that they'll be gone, but glad they were walk away on top and on their own terms. during their time here, gerrard may have been the face of the club, but carragher has been its heart.

AndSomeAreAngels repped this.
  3. B.A.

B.A. Member+

Sep 12, 2007
    IL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He will always have his one night in Istanbul.

[​IMG]

RevsLiverpool and liverbird repped this.
  4. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I loved how he expected everyone to have the same fight and passion as he did. ;)

[​IMG]

5. LFChile

LFChile Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Will go down in history as one of the biggest servants of the club not to win the EPL, he's been fantastic and i'm sure he will be given a job at LFC when he sees fit.

We will miss you JC

6. Strikers20

Strikers20 Member

May 4, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I haven't posted on here in awhile (though I have been creeping), so first off I would like to say hello to all the fellow posters, it seems like many of you are still on here. I plan on trying to post here more often, but we will see how it goes.

No longer in ND, I decided to follow my coaching dream and move to the one state that is less populous than ND.....Wyoming.

The retirement of Carragher has brought me out of my BigSoccer hiatus. When I started following the club (in the early 2000s, so I don't have much on some of the posters here), there were 4 players out of all of them that I liked. Owen, Gerrard, Carragher, and Hyypia.

After this season, Gerrard will be the only one remaining.

It's strange.

Carragher spent his time at Liverpool proving others wrong (even LFC supporters themselves). Carragher always had to prove that he deserved to play at this level, that he deserved a call-up to the national team, that despite the game changing he still had worth. However, the one thing he never had to prove was how much he cared about the club. You could see it in his tackles, blocks, shouts, celebrations, etc. There was no question.

Thanks Carra for the memories, the time, the loyalty (sometimes undeserved), and everything else you gave to LFC and LFC supporters.

There is a reason we all dream of a team of Carraghers.

7. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I come in peace - just wanted to offer up some praise for Carra. Class player, classy person, true legend.

8. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Retire the number 23

9. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But how do you not retire 7 or 9? Or is it that 23 is unique anyway as football team numbers go that it could be a feasible one?

10. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's my thinking, 23 is so unusual for LFC. Too many legends have worn 7 and 9 and will continue to do so. 23 is Carragher and only Carragher.

I know it is not an English or really a footy tradition, but it would be an epic salute to a legend.

11. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It sends out a great message to the kids of Liverpool and the youth team. There may be better players out there but with hard work and perseverance you can be just as good, if not better. For most of his career he was thought of lacking in ability yet always managed to be better that the players with more skill.

Football is still a working man's club and Carra is the very embodiment of this.

kopiteinkc and liverbird repped this.
  12. drobny23

drobny23 Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    He would never allow LFC to retire 23.

13. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Video doesn't highlight Carra, but it still gives me chills and his performance will always be my lasting memory of him.

14. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2013/feb/07/liverpool-jamie-carragher-andy-hunter

15. CHSsoccer08

CHSsoccer08 Member

Apr 12, 2002
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. I would rather see the next kid to try to make a name for himself with Carra's number on the back. Rodgers said the red Liverpool shirt weighed heavier than those of other clubs. The number 23 will be a ton of bricks on the next to embrace Jamie's legacy. Lets hope for our club's sake we find someone up to the task.

16. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    My argument is refuted by this. Very very true statement.

17. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will take some real balls for anyone to even pick that number for a while I would imagine.

Twenty26Six repped this.
  18. CHSsoccer08

CHSsoccer08 Member

Apr 12, 2002
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely.

19. CHSsoccer08

CHSsoccer08 Member

Apr 12, 2002
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Bobinhood

Bobinhood Member

Apr 22, 2005
    Toronto
    I told you guys, me and Cara are mates. After the open practice before the toronto friendly last summer he came around signing autographs, not 2 feet from me. Told him he was a legend and he looked right at me , inclined his head about 1/4 inch or so, and did this strange twitchy-acknowledgment facial spasm smily thing. :D buds from way back, i'm telling ya.

I mean, I could have a word with him, try and talk him out of it, we're pretty close after all, but im inclined to let him do his own thing, he deserves it, ya know how it is.

Gonna miss him though.

21. Fussballer

Fussballer Member+

Liverpool FC
    Sep 18, 2002
    In my head
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    [​IMG]

A few years ago, the Chicago LFC fan club got in touch with Carra's charity and if you donated to it, you got a personalized autographed photo. Here's mine.

Carra is my fav LFC player of all time. He is and will always be LFC. Hope to meet him one day.

Ynwa

poopoobigelow repped this.
  22. Bobinhood

Bobinhood Member

Apr 22, 2005
    Toronto
    I dont really think Liverpool should retire the number 23.

Fifa should retire the number 23. :D

LiverpoolFanatic and Twenty26Six repped this.
  23. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

pfft...EARTH should retire the number 23. From now on in every day life when we count, we go:

...20, 21, 22, 24, 25...

24. Kawklee

Kawklee BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 30, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Bobinhood

Bobinhood Member

Apr 22, 2005
    Toronto
    ^ all these years I never really realized he was that instrumental in the play where Gerrard drew the Pen. Nice pass.