Offseason moves?

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by metroag, Dec 1, 2012.

1. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Anderson. love your thoughts! I would guess though that Defensive depth is likely number one on the list, falling to number two if Carr is unable to go. I think there was some hope that Giles would provide that offensive central attack role so I would guess they still have some thinking to do on how to handle that role moving forward.

2. cfig

cfig Member

Jul 14, 2010
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I like Kandji as a starter out wide if we're going 4-3-3, I don't think he slots in especially well as a true striker in a 4-4-2. Totally agree that a pure striker is now #1 on the shopping list.

Beat me to it but I was thinking the same thing. Giles seems like he could fit into the CAM spot really well, I don't know if he never quite got to full Texas-climate fitness but I've seen some brilliant flashes from him. Hopeful that he can really mesh with the team through a full preseason and do some good things for us next season.

3. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Frankly I am torn on the guy. He is exceptionally skilled and has great vision. He appears to move in slow motion on defense, but it could be he is just smarter than I am. I am not sure where Dom slots him right now either. Not good enough to take Moffat off the filed and go more traditional in the midfield with personnel but enough he is a first option off the bench in attacking situations. I think depending on his salary number that may be a tough decision.

4. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great.

MLS is gonna send Carr's mom to "sensitivity training" for using the politically incorrect word "retarded."

The_Ponce repped this.
  5. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    I thought retarded was back in vogue?

The_Ponce repped this.
  6. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me sort of put it another way - if we were going to dick around with Kandji for say a $15K salary difference annually, maybe we don't do that with Carr on the shelf for a while. I don't think we'll "overpay" but maybe you soften a bit around the edges.

At the same time, we let Ngwenya walk, let Oduro shop around, Ashe, etc. I think we seldom end up overpaying guys compared to what they would get elsewhere in MLS.

JC507 and troutseth repped this.
  7. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Yeah I am on board with that assessment. Maybe he gets an extra 10k but not much more.

8. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bunch of good players are out/pulled out of the re-entry draft: Wynne, Tchani, Rodney Wallace.

9. DavidLikesToWin

Apr 30, 2012
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    How old is Maicon Santos? Think Dom has considered him?

10. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    28, 29 in April.

11. The_Ponce

The_Ponce Co-President of the United States of Dynamo

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's 28 so he's still at that age we can consider him, but we're looking for a player that can score double digit figures to keep some pressure off of Bruin. I don't think he fits that mold.

12. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is available that fits that mold??? Anyone know anyone from Central or South America that we could be looking at?

13. DavidLikesToWin

Apr 30, 2012
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I think of Santos as a playmaker/supporter though. And he can play in the middle. He's no DeRo, but still. But he's also a forward that can score some when in the right system. And if Dom gets a hold of him, who know what he can do for his scoring...

14. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Aldo De Nigris always seemed like a Dynamo prospect.

Soccergodlss and JC507 repped this.
  15. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish.

16. DavidLikesToWin

Apr 30, 2012
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I don't know much about Eric Brunner other than he's the tallest person on our team. Does anybody expect him to challenge Boswell or Taylor for a CB spot?

17. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    N
    not next year. I think the chemistry is there between Taylor and bobby so it'll be tough for Bruner to step in and get a spot. Probably see him more in CCL and US open cup and reserve leagues, and the occasional start to spell the other two. 2014? that's a different question.

18. huesocolorado

huesocolorado Member

Sep 12, 2006
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    O'Brian White? He's a speedster... What could Dom do with him? Jamaican connection...

19. DavidLikesToWin

Apr 30, 2012
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  20. DavidLikesToWin

Apr 30, 2012
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Scott Sealy? Khari Stephenson?

21. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, guys, I look at that list and I don't see any starters worth having. Some depth, sure, but not what we need. Going to have to look elsewhere for that.

22. The_Ponce

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Camargo and Kandji for Wondo. Lol.

23. el nordissimo

el nordissimo Member

Jul 31, 2008
    "018"
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this dude's 25. We'll see him soon
    [​IMG]

JC507 repped this.
  24. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Darrell Lovell has an article at dynamo.com indicating we made the bona fide or qualifying offers to Hainault and Kandji but they are going to test the waters elsewhere. Implications are we made the offers just to retain their rights if they leave and if they actually return, the contracts might be different.

Also said Weaver is a decent shot to return. But no info on others whose options may have been declined.

25. The_Ponce

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was kind of expected that Andre would leave since we signed Brunner. I gathered from these forums that we either needed Kandji or Weaver but not both due to salary cap, so now we know which one we're keeping. lol