Offseason moves?

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by metroag, Dec 1, 2012.

1. The_Ponce

The_Ponce Co-President of the United States of Dynamo

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as we see him eventually then I'm happy!

2. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    My gut says this:
    1) rumor may or may not be true
    2) if true, I would be surprised if we see him before the summer based on dealing down there int he past

3. The_Ponce

The_Ponce Co-President of the United States of Dynamo

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm being optimistic for once. If Boniek is involved, I'm sure that we are in at least talks. Whether money becomes an issue is something completely different. However, let's dream for a second of a team that involves Alex, Boniek, Davis, Bruin, Rico, Andre, Tally, a recovered Carr, and Moffat. I like that team very much...I'm already planning a trip to Monterrey or Seattle for CCL Semis!

4. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Hey I am all for optimism. I just remember dealing with that organization . . I mean OBG's family had to hold up protest signs at a match. I don't think money per se would bbe an issue, but they seem to be a bit dodgy.

That being said who knows. I have a question though . . . does anyone know his contract status? I am not sure how they handle youth deals, but he could be on a free either this summer or next summer. If this summer, why pay a transfer?

5. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering the money problems down there he could (possibly) be free this month. Who knows? I'd send the question to Paul Calixte (I think I got the last part spelled right). If he doesn't have the answer, he can probably point you in the right direction.

6. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    C.D. Olimpia have never had money problems ever.. Olimpia is regarded as the mecca of Futbol teams in Honduras. Its huge luxurious etc.. Its president Ferrari, is a [mod edit: "greedy person"] to put it nicely. Olimpia have money stacked ontop of money, stacked ontop of money.. the reason why they were hesitant to let Boniek leave was because they were in no hurry to sell him abroad what so ever, hence the signs you pointed out, the family wanted him to go for their own reasons. They make so much money, cuz they sell-out everywhere they go and make tons of money from merchandise and from playing CCL constantly and TV deals and playing friendlies abroad. Its one organization that is run very well and soundly.

On to Alex Lopez.. Alex Lopez IIRC has two years on his contract.. both sides Alex and Olimpia are in no hurry to let him go. Norwegian side, Rosenborg were very close to signing him last year, but the money didn't add up and if its one thing to note with Olimpia, they don't like it if theres no money involved. I think this is one kid that you might have to wait beyond the summer and really negotiate to try and knock his price down, but we'll see.

El Naranja repped this.
  7. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has anyone here actually seen him play? I don't mean highlight videos (useless), but full games. Just curious what anyone who's actually watched him play complete games thinks.

8. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    great player. really likes to touch the ball, a true midfielder. Has great distribution, technically sound, can deliver a mean pass or cross. He's a special player. A lot of hype has surrounded him the past year at Olimpia.

9. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Saw him play as a sub at the Olympics. Solid on the ball, attack minded middie. Seems very accurate in distribution. I also saw a highlight of a goal he scored off a free kick that would make Moffat blush. Was set to go to Wigan last year.

10. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks again.

What do you think about his ability to change the rhythm of play -- i.e., slow down and keep possession, as well as speed up and attack quickly?

I think a quality attacking mid is the missing piece in Dynamoland. Maybe he could fill the role.

11. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Attack minded, but has played a lot of center midfield while at Olimpia who run a 4-4-2

So he's really flexible in the mid. Seen him two times in person in New Orleans. Hasn't disappointed me yet.

12. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    we all saw him play. IIRC, he played 60ish minutes at BBVA at that final CCL game. not bad of a player, but i think its very telling that Douglas Caetano i have a better memory of. perhaps because he was strong enough to brush off MLS defenders.

i'm going to have to check the DVR and my game notes because Alex Lopez was also on the Honduran Olympic team so I should have the Mexico - Honduras qualifying game somewhere. also made the Olympic team, but again from those games Roger Espinoza stood out in the midfield for me more.

El Naranja repped this.
  13. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    He's very good at that.. I've said he can be a rich mans Amado Guevara. He's very good at keeping possession, holding the ball waiting for a pass or just to hold it if he feels he needs to. He can slow down the pace of the game very well for his game, seen him do it with the U-20. With the U-23 you saw him speed up the attack.

Like i said, very special kid.

El Naranja repped this.
  14. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was out of town that week, so I never saw him play (but I did attend a CL game of a different variety at the Emirates that week :D).

15. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice. The ability to change the rhythm of play isn't always something we see among players placed in an attacking mid role in MLS.

16. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    oh sorry about that. it was the royal 'we'. 'we' should check our dvr or concacaf archives to re-look at how he did against a MLS defense.

btw - i really liked Douglas Caetano. didn't play like the typical 'jogo bonito' although he was skilled. this guy was throwing our players around like rag dolls.

17. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    * Moved to its own thread*

El Naranja and *rey* repped this.
  18. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We really love the camera work on Concacaf broadcasts. ;)

In any event, we hope we can sign someone with quality at the position at some point. We saw how playing a defensive mid in an attacking mid role can come up a bit short.

19. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Thats cuz he's a big man central forward. He's not gonna wow you with his technical ability, but will muscle you off the ball and is an aerial presence.

20. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I gotta say I like the way this thread is heading..... :)

21. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    correct. which exactly is the way the Dynamo have been successful with these types of players, but for a #9 he looked really good when he drifted to the right wing.

22. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks very much to you, Catracho Azul, and others for posting these articles. It's the sort of information that often makes BigSoccer more useful than most news sources.

Alex mentions that he apparently got Dom's attention when the clubs played. He also implies that the clubs are having discussions and that there's an offer. But he also doesn't sound like he has any details - or at least isn't going to give the impression in a newspaper interview that he's heard the details. ;)

23. Hungryjack

Hungryjack Member+

Jul 8, 2006
    Houston
    Good grief, he's only 20!?

24. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Means he has to sit at the kids table if he transfers over. :p only milk and juice for him