Official Wisla Krakow Thread v2.0 [R]

Discussion in 'Poland' started by johnmatrix, Jun 14, 2009.

1. johnmatrix

johnmatrix New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Incoming players: Grzegorz Fonfara (O - GKS Bełchatów), Łukasz Garguła (P - GKS Bełchatów), Rafał Gikiewicz (B - Jagiellonia Białystok), Leândro (P - Debreceni VSC), Dawid Nowak (N - GKS Bełchatów), Admir Vladavić (MŠK Žilina), Matej Krajčík (Reggina Calcio), Miroslav Božok (MFK Ružomberok), Trajče Nikov (FK Pelister (Bitola))

Players that are Leaving: Marcin Baszczyński (O - AÓ Atrómitos Peristeríou (Ateny)), Beto (N - AÓ Iraklís (Saloniki), ?), Filip Kurto (B - ?), Marcelo (O - Olympiakós SFP (Pireus), Hannoverscher SV von 1896), Andrzej Niedzielan (N - Górnik Zabrze), Marek Zieńczuk (P - AÓ Xánthi)

2. johnmatrix

johnmatrix New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
  3. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2nd round qualifier for Champions League:

July 15 20:30 Wisla Krakow - FC Levadia Tallin

5. marcin79

marcin79 New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Warszawa, Poland
    As everybody knows, it brought rather surprising 1-1 draw. I watched 1st half of the game and beginning of the 2nd half until live coverage broke due to big storm. Levadia were nothing very spectacular, but they looked solid, I'd compare them to side in the middle of Polish Ekstraklasa's table. They played high pressing and won a lot of loose balls. but it is hard to say if would it be enough to get a good result, had Wisla play more succesful posession game. Rather surprisingly for me Wisla's defenders played many long balls upfront and in 4-4-1-1 (or 4-2-3-1) they started, attacking midfielder Tomas Jirsak with Radoslaw Sobolewski and Junior Diaz behind him couldn't make advantage in the middle. During the game Maciej Skorza swapped some players (already in 1st half), moving Wojciech Lobodzinski from right back to right midfield where he wasn't useful but at least didn't provoke such a danger - I can't see this lazy player at right back . Mariusz Jop who just joined Wisla was risky point in center of the defence and it was a part of his mistake that brought Levadia's goal. One spectacular display was Andraz Kirm on Wisla's left midfield - however it may be unwise to rate player after just one game, he seems like potential star of Polish league. He's modern wide midfielder who can dribble and cut inside and should be quality improvement comparing to Marek Zienczuk who was much more sticked to left side (although he was still good player). I can see Kirm dribbling inside a lot and making place on the left wing for Piotr Brozek, Junior Diaz or whoever will play at left back.

1 person likes this.
  6. Smoga

Smoga Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    I agree with what you said, having watched the game until the coverage broke down too. Jop was a liability, and I don't think it was due to not understanding the way the Wisla defence works, since that huge mistake was an individual error. Will he improve? Who knows. But it was the central midfield that was the biggest problem, I wonder if Sobolewski is now over the hill...and Kirm was pretty good, by far the best player for Wisla, but as you indicated, you can't judge a player by one game.

I understand that Estonia is playing a summer-winter schedule, so perhaps that was the reason they looked more organized than Wisla did...hopefully a better result away, with injured players returning and the team gelling. And I really didn't like the Sosnowiec stadium, it seemed distant and cold, although the pitch looked pretty good.

7. marcin79

marcin79 New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Warszawa, Poland
    Jop always reminds me his mistakes in tournament games Poland was expected to win. 2006 World Cup opening game against Ecuador and his poor marking of striker who scores a header goal, Euro 2008 game against Austria and first half pandemonium which could bring some 0-3 at HT if Boruc didn't play so great game. I know that probably Jop had some good games too, but I can't help - he makes me think his error will cost Wisla place in Champions League or something like that.

By the way, Hungary's Debrecen or Sweden's Kalmar will be Wisla's next rival if they beat Levadia.

8. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FC Levadia 1-0 Wisla Krakow

Wisla is out out contention for this years Champions League:(

9. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    now that's truly pathetic

10. Smoga

Smoga Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Unbelievable.

11. johnmatrix

johnmatrix New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    There can be no excuses here. That is a Pathetic display, and I'm not being biased, Id say the same if it was Lech or any other of our teams.

12. marcin79

marcin79 New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Warszawa, Poland
    Please correct me if I am wrong but I'm nearly sure that until now in Champions League Quals Polish teams were always losing in the last playoff round. Maybe I should check it to be sure, but I can't remember any different situation. Barcelona x 3, Panathinaikos x 2, Real Madrid, Manchester United, Parma, Fiorentina, Anderlecht, Shakhtar, Steaua were teams who beaten champions of Poland. Anderlecht, Steaua and Shakhtar were considered to be embarrasements. What else can we say now?

13. marcin79

marcin79 New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Warszawa, Poland
    I don't want to start disputes among supporters of different clubs here, but I have suspicion that it couldn't be Lech or Legia for example. Ok, all Polish clubs are relatively weak in European competitions (just look at UEFA coefficients), but Wisla has tendency to lose even those ties they should easily win. Valerenga, Dinamo Tbilisi and now Levadia are examples of embarrassements - I'm trying to be objective, I can't remember similar defeats of other clubs.

14. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well it's funny because Wisla did beat Barcelona 1-0 and Barca are the Champions, but it didn't matter because Wisla lost 0-4 to Barca at Camp Nou.

It think it was pathetic, but slip ups do happen...........

15. johnmatrix

johnmatrix New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Yeah no point dwelling on it. All we can hope for is a better outing next season, since Wisla will be playing in Europe again next season, either in CL or Europa, and for now best of luck to the teams remaining, since we need every Euro point we can get.

16. canadianscraggledog

canadianscraggledog New Member

Jun 26, 2005
    London, Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Wisla have had both embarassing losses like this year, but have had some close calls.
    I recall one year they were leading 3-2 on agg and it took 2 Kluivert goals late-on to help Barca through 4-3 on agg.

I would not say it is just a Wisla problem. They did okay in the Uefa Cup group stage last year. Legia won the title a couple times lately and never made it into the CL group stage. It seems to be a Polish club and National team problem. We seem to always choke in the big games. We make it to the Euro's or WC and lose to an inferior team.

17. johnmatrix

johnmatrix New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    I think you mean Lech did ok in UEFA Cup Group Stage.
    I agree our teams do seem to choke vs moderate level competition, and sometimes also vs the mediocre.

18. polska26

polska26 Member

Feb 20, 2008
    this year is diffrent wisla lost to some crap team from estonia that is very pathetic 100 million times worse then ever before

19. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You do know that.... "The crap team" are the Estonian league champions 3 years in a row.

20. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The official 2009/2010 season starts on August 1:

Wisła Kraków -Ruch Chorzów 1 sierpnia, 15:30

21. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wisla Krakow 2-0 Ruch Chorzow
    Arkadiusz Głowacki 20, Wojciech Łobodziński 24

22. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zaglebie Lubin 1-4 Wisla Krakow
    David Caiado 90 - Marcelo 1, Patryk Małecki 27, 81, Łukasz Jasiński 69 (s)

23. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    Caught the first half of this one, it was exciting end-to-end stuff and I came away impressed with both teams. I don't understand how Marcelo's goal was given. Shocking decision, and it really set the tone for the game. I thought sure Zaglebie would pull one back before halftime, Hanzel (excellent pace down the left), Micanski (should have scored), and Plizga (good tricky diagonal runs) all looked good to me.

For Wisla, good game plan and execution and I liked the look of the new Uruguayan Alvarez and also Junior Diaz, it looks like MLS maybe missed out on him. The Brozeks also played well from what I saw. Good luck this season Wisla, and I think I'll keep an eye on results for both teams.

24. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool...that's good we have more people interested in Polish Ekstraklasa, I just wish i was their to cheer my team on.

25. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another win:)

Wisla Krakow 3-0 GKS Belchatow