Official: Union 2013 Preseason Catch-All

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Dills, Oct 8, 2012.

1. UnionBulldog

UnionBulldog Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Ridley Park
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got that as well, and thought either we would open the season at home the first week or be away the first two weeks if we play both weeks.

2. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I'm already suffering from withdrawal.

TonyClarkDOOP and Handsome Pete repped this.
  3. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    You need some time for it to go away to appreciate it more. Distance makes the heart grow fonder. At least that's what I tell my wife when I want her to get away from me.

4. jess370

jess370 Member+

Feb 14, 2008
    collingswood
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I already miss going to the park, but that early in the season it could be a nice 50 degree day, or 15-20 degrees with rain and sleet.

Will it stop me? Nope

but will it put a big dent in attendance? Yup

5. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're already selling "Holiday 4-Packs' for Opening Day: http://ev15.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncom...global-union&shopperContext=&caller=&appCode=. There's a good chance that Opening Day will be close to a sell-out no matter the date.

6. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    If they're selling 4 packs for Opening Day now, that means they're desperate for attendance. I really think we're in for a rude awakening this year with regards to attendance. You would think that season ticket sales would have dropped off, and they're going to be relying on packages more this year. I think we'll average out at about 15,000 a game. Still good by MLS standards, but not as good as where we used to be.

7. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They did the same thing last season and also for the second season as well............. Even with a STH base of 11K - 12K that still leaves 6K-7K available seats to sell.......

8. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Even still, what good will and positivity does this team have to run on? If our STH base this year is at 9,000 (and I don't know what it is, I'm just guessing based on performance, price, and "newness" factor wearing off) that's 2,000-3,000 extra seats they have to sell. I think that's where the desperation comes in. We'll still sell out the rivalry games against DCU and NY, and get good crowds for Columbus and SKC, but we're also going to have Chivas, Portland, and LA without Goldenballs, so I think the crowds are going to be light for those matches. Any weeknight games will suffer. I think we'll do decent, but I think we'll see attendance dip quite a bit this coming year.

9. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A pre-Christmas player signing/trade/acquisition announcement could sell some of these packages and put butts in seats.

10. UnionBulldog

UnionBulldog Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Ridley Park
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't call the 4-pack a desperation move since it was done in previous years. It is a way for them to sell something to be used as a holiday gift and is not at all uncommon. The Flyers have their Santa Sack that they do every year (well at least every year that they actually play). Since they start off every year needing to sell 8k-10k tickets for every game they use the holiday gift idea to start with game 1. That is also the only definite that they can target to sell because you will get a general time frame for a date (3/2-3/24?) whereas all the other target games, Pink Cows and DC, won't have a date until the schedule is set in Jan/Feb. Also, while LAG will have their away draw dip do to Goldenballs and Landycakes both not likely to be there, they are still the 2 time defending champs and will probably add 1-2 DPs that wouldn't go anywhere else except NJPC. Now the new DPs won't have the draw that Beckham and Donovan do but not many other players would since neither Messi or Ronaldo have a snowballs chance in hell of playing in MLS right now.

While I know they lost some STH and some new STH came in we do not know the difference. They could have lost 2-4k and only added 1000 or they could have added 4k. Interest may be down on the club but they may benefit from the NHL lockout and the Eagles trying for the first overall pick.

11. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has/does MLS take this into account when setting the schedule? In other words, does MLS purposely have the Union open with Chivas or Toronto rather that DCU or NYRB because those games will sell out anyway? Based upon the last two seasons (VAN in 2011 and COL in 2012) it would seem so.

12. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    it probably has to do more with TV.

13. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not so sure about that. Having the Union open on a Monday night at 9:30 PM EST last season certainly did not help the ratings as much as a POR-LAG or POR-SJE would have.

14. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    well. they wanted to show the portland atmosphere in TV, nothing says good atmosphere like a W.

TonyClarkDOOP repped this.
  15. UnionBulldog

UnionBulldog Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Ridley Park
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't play complete attention to the schedule for opening week but I thought MLS tried to shy away from rivalries opening the season. NFL does it for the most part though they throw 1 or 2 out for opening week like NYG-WSH as marquee matchups. To me it makes more sense to not have a rivalry as the opening match because the first game usually gets more attention then a normal non-rivalry game. Any WC team would not be a bad idea for our opener or Chi, Tor, or Mtl from the east. Personally I would like to see Chivas be our opener, good chance to start off with 3 and the team I am least looking forward to seeing at PPL.

16. EmeraldDawn

EmeraldDawn Member+

May 11, 2008
    Brick, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They got ratings out of my house. Had I been able to stay awake, I definitely would've changed the channel.

17. ImissTHEheat

ImissTHEheat Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only looking back at the stats for this season did I see something I was totally unaware of that concerns me. Michael Farfan took 54 shots last year (which is great becuase this team doesn't shoot enough) but his on-target rate was very poor. With his team-leading 54 shots, he put 15 on target, and scored 1 goal. That kind of return rate doesn't excite me. I'd be curious to see what his numbers are from the wing vs. playing centrally.

18. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. frobisherthepenguin1

Jun 6, 2008
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    SmashtheVan, DaMunk and onehandedtyr repped this.
  20. TonyClarkDOOP

TonyClarkDOOP Member+

Jun 18, 2010
    Oxford, United Kingdom
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By the price of tickets, Im expecting a USL, NASL type opponent, MAYBE a Liga MX team. Only thing making me doubt a Liga MX team is they are trying to promote the Union, not Mexican soccer.

Ticket Prices: $15 and $21 with a reasonable 10 processing fee through ticketmaster.

21. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm......... my guess is one of the following will be the opponent: Orlando City SC, Tampa Bay Rowdies, Tampa Flames, or Carolina Railhawks.

22. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    I know it's not us, but Sharting KC acquired Whiny Failhaber, so that makes them that much more hateable. I'm already looking forward to next season, and I don't care who we have.

UnionDues repped this.
  23. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or another MLS club ...

http://www.philadelphiaunion.com/ne...eseason-match-everbank-field-jacksonville-fla

24. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You literates all think you're better then the rest of us! :unsure:

Dills and BuddhaWake repped this.
  25. SmashtheVan

SmashtheVan Member+

Jan 13, 2009
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I guess this means no chance of a Desert Cup appearance through 2015? That kid from AZ is gonna be crushed :)

jess370, Handsome Pete and jaykoz3 repped this.