OFFICIAL - Union: 2012 Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Zman Gunner, Feb 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Similar stories, different circumstances ... Bakary Soumare > Juan Diego Gonzalez

2. djramone

djramone Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's your source for unremarkable? He played in 30+ games in Ligue 1 in 09/10 then 30+ games in Ligue 2 in 10/11, then 16 games in Ligue 2 in 11/12 before he was loaned to a 2. Bundesliga team (due to financial problems at his club) where he was injured after 7 games. Seems to me that if he was unremarkable he would have been struggling for playing time, no?

Good players get relegated all of the time. It happens.

I know you have a thing against him for some reason, but you need to use facts in your arguments. Personally I'm pretty excited to have a guy for next year who has both MLS and high level European experience.

3. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feel free to point out where anything I've posted is categorically untrue. I don't struggle with the facts. You don't agree with my analysis, which is fine. I simply stated that his overseas career was unremarkable, and I find nothing in your reply that convinces me otherwise.

Here are some other fun facts. You can draw your own conclusions.
    1. Soumare was nominated in 2008 for MLS Defender of the Year. The award went to Chad Marshall.
    2. Soumare was fined in August 2009 for fighting with his manager during the half-time of a game. Was quickly transferred to US Bolougne in the same month following the incident. US Bolougne was in Ligue 1 at the time.
    3. US Bolougne was relegated twice while Soumare was on the roster.
    4. Karlsuher SC was relegated to 3. Liga while Soumare was on loan with the club.
    5. In 2009-10 Ligue 1, Bolougne allowed the most goals of any team.
    6. In 2011-12 Ligue 2, Bolougne was 6th out of 20 teams in most goals allowed.
    7. In 2011-12 2. Bundesliga, Karlsruher finished second out of 18 teams in most goals allowed.
    8. The Union allowed 5 goals in a reserve game while Soumare was on the field.
    9. The Union allowed 3 goals in a first team match while Soumare was on the field.
    10. Kai Herdling joined the Union on loan from 1899 Hoffenheim II. In six appearances, he did not register a single goal or assist.

4. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So for items 3 thru 9 Soumare is solely responsible?

5. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    FYP.
    still trying to figure out how #10 has to do with Soumare.

6. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean, it's fallacious to attempt to pin 3-9 on Soumare. Are you going to ignore the other three defenders and the keeper?

7. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or the other TEN field players, and the coaches tactics as well?

8. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You all drew your own conclusions.

9. Doop

Doop Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's better than a Jump to Conclusions Mat, is it not?

10. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or you made a ludicrous implication.

BuddhaWake repped this.
  11. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I never stated nor implied that he was solely responsible for those goals. How would I have any way of knowing which ones he was unless I watched all the games he played?

There's a trend here. The teams he's played for since his move overseas have been poor and leaked goals like crazy. And he's played in those games. In both games he's played for the Union, the team has leaked goals like crazy. But I'm sure it was everyone else's fault, right? Shades of Freddy Adu and Rafa Marquez.

Would you rather have Chad Marshall in central defense with Valdes? Or is it possible that his form is worse now than it was four years ago? How about Chad Marshall coming off of two knee surgeries?

Soumare is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Height alone is not going to stop set piece goals. And, for the most part, our defense has been pretty good at not allowing goals in the run of play. He was brought in because, at the time, the coaching staff saw no options in central defense (prior to the emergence of Okugo). You bought into the FO's propaganda about this guy, but he's shown us nothing while he's been here. The fealty shown for him is even stranger than that shown for Adu. At least Adu has produced something on the field for us.

aztec21bas and Handsome Pete repped this.
  12. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fealty? It seems to me that people are taking the eminently reasonable position that we should see if a player the Union gave up significant resources to acquire can actually recover from an injury and contribute to the team before cutting him. At very least, you'd have to think that the front office would seek to trade Soumare to another MLS team before releasing him outright.

Nobody really knows how well Soumare might play in MLS over the next few years. He may turn out to be a terrible acquisition but he may still be useful.

13. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, so maybe I inferred that. So then tell me, what was the reasoning behind your stat sharing then?

There is a trend, and like you said, he played for poor teams. But just because he's the one common denominator when all those things happened doesn't mean he's the reason why said things happened. So, again, why put up facts that paint that picture? I'm not buying into any propaganda from the FO, but I AM willing to give Baky the benefit of the doubt, as I am any Union player until they've performed enough times to form an educated opinion on them.

He's played one reserve game to get fitness, and one first team game because there were no other CB options (and maybe because it was against his old MLS club), but that's hardly enough time to decide whether he should remain going into 2013, or if he should be cut first chance Hack & Co. get.
    So he was brought in AFTER Califf was let go, because we had no other option at CB at the time? Don't be naive. Califf was sent packing to make room for Soumare. That should be pretty obvious, especially when the player himself talks about the deal taking months to work out. He was the reason Califf is no longer here, not the solution to the void Califf left in our backline.