OFFICIAL - Union: 2012 Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Zman Gunner, Feb 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ItsJR

ItsJR New Member

May 22, 2011
    Deptford, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Where has Pajoy been?

???????

2. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/02/29/2012-depth-chart-philadelphia-union

mlssoccer.com posted their view of Philly's depth chart - fairly reasonable in terms of projecting the starting 11 (other than LM vs. RM and LCB vs. RCB), the 7 gameday reserves and the non-gameday reserves destined for the press box at PPL (for home games) or staying at home (for away games) - Daniel is the one player who is more likely in the gameday mix than is projected.

Starters

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Pajoy, Mwanga, Adu, Gomez, Carroll, M. Farfan, Lopez, Califf, Valdes, Williams, MacMath [/LINEUP-4-4-2]

Gameday Reserves - Harrison, Albright, Okugo, Torres, G. Farfan, McInerney, Martinez

Non-Gameday Reserves - Gaddis, Jordan, Pfeffer, McLaughlin, Daniel, Witkowski, Hoppenot, Hoffman (likely Konopka and Hernandez as well once signed)

3. G-Ho Blue

G-Ho Blue Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Philadelphia
    I'm skeptical that we'll see much straight 4-4-2 with this team. It seems built for a 4-2-3-1 with our glut of talented midfielders; I'm hoping Pajoy can teach Mwanga how to be a lone striker.

4. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

I'm still not getting how Adu works well as a wide player.

Seeing as how Nowak & Co. spoke about Martinez's ability on the right, and Farfan (Michael)'s work on the right last season, I'd think they'll get the start over FA11. That said, I'd see the left side being a battle for minutes between Daniel and Farfan (Gabriel).

5. bluestate

bluestate Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Bethlehem, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm, I'm pretty sure that was our very own Adu with a GOLAZO last night in the U-23 match. Oh but right, I forgot... we don't want the bum, right?

6. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agudelo and Diskerud were on the score sheet. Just sayin'.

7. ajrangers1

ajrangers1 Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a feeling we will see more of a 4-2-2-2 look with Farfan and Adu pinching in the center more. But that lineup has me pretty excited for the season. Especially when you have a guy like Keon Daniel (who many think could start) not even making the "bench" you know your team is deep.

8. UnionBulldog

UnionBulldog Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Ridley Park
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with Dills that Marfan is most likely the RM (not sure why MLS.com listed him as LM). I also don't see us starting both Pajoy and Mwanga, I think Martinez gets in over one of them as he is of the more speedy type. If it is a empty bucket style mid-field I could see either Garfan or Keon on the Left but who knows Nowak may put Adu there. If they play a diamond midfield then maybe you have Garfan and Marfan as the wings with Adu in the middle with Gomez being the lone CDM.

To AJ, due to Olympic qualifying our Game Day roster will change a great deal. Adu is basically a lock as well as Okugo. JackMac may make it and I am not sure why Williams was not part of the game last night but I am torn as I will be happy to have him for the U but would like to see him give the US the best chance to win something. I doubt MacMath will make the roster as it still seems like the US may use an exception rule for an older keeper making him #4. But you are right in that listing Keon as a reserve and not a sub bodes well for our depth.

The 12th and 18th cannot get here soon enough!

9. Ascalz

Ascalz BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 18, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My question is WHO THE HELL IS MACMATH POINTING AT.

Does he know someone in the crowd or something?

10. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's telling Califf he's on the wrong side.

11. bluestate

bluestate Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Bethlehem, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's just a technicality. That was basically Adu's goal. The early reports of the game even named him as the goal scorer. The official scorer changed it after the game.

12. Zman Gunner

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Billy Zabka

Billy Zabka Member+

May 4, 2006
    RoFo, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Today's Hernandez signing brings the total roster to 28 players, which will give the team those two open off-budget roster spots and the $70k of allocation money that goes with it.

[​IMG]

14. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I'm guessing Hernandez would be expected to receive his green card this year, thereby allowing the international roster spot to revert back to LAG.

15. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you're giving Nowak too much credit here.

16. ItsJR

ItsJR New Member

May 22, 2011
    Deptford, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where is Pajoy been? I have seen/heard nothing about him since the singing. Nothing in preseason or any pictures in the off season. Whats going on with him? I am looking forward to him.

17. mrdivothead

mrdivothead Member

May 12, 2008
    Bensalem
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pajoy spent most of the preseason stuck in Colombia, waiting for his visa to come through. You can thank Kessler for that one. He was with the team in Costa Rica.

18. Zman Gunner

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any chance to see the list updated from the first post? It's missing a bunch of the late off-season moves. Plus Herdling, of course.

20. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's on me. Zman keeps sending me updated roster Word docs, and I keep forgetting to edit the first post. :eek:

-EDIT-

First post updated.

21. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Much thanks, Dills (and Zman Gunner). The list from this thread is probably the best roster resource out there for Union so it's great to see where things now stand.

22. UnionBulldog

UnionBulldog Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Ridley Park
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since the Union have not previously had a key injury I have not bothered to learn about the IR rules of MLS. Are the rules similar to the NFL in that if you put a player on it they are done for the year? Since Torres had surgery and will be out of action for a while I was wondering if the Union can place him on IR which frees up an international spot and activate him when he is healthy?

23. frobisherthepenguin1

Jun 6, 2008
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Now that the transfer window has closed, even if they could, there's not much point. He should be healthy once the summer window opens.

24. Zman Gunner

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are two forms of IR - season-ending and short-term (player must miss a minimum of 6 league games) - details are below.

http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/content/roster-rules-and-regulations

(K)SEASON-ENDING INJURY REPLACEMENTS (Season Ending Injury List)
    A team with a player lost to a season-ending injury can place the player on the Season Ending Injury List and replace that player on its roster, while remaining responsible for the full amount of the injured player’s salary. A player can be placed on the season-ending injury list once another player has been signed as a replacement (provided the team has budget space). International player limits still apply at the time a season-ending replacement is made (with the player being replaced not counting against those limits).

(L) SHORT-TERM INJURY REPLACEMENTS (Disabled List)
    A player who has a short-term injury can be placed on the Disabled List once another player has been signed as a replacement (provided the team has budget space). The team will remain responsible for the full amount of the injured player’s salary on the salary budget. Note: the injured player will have to sit out a minimum of six MLS League matches before he can rejoin the team’s roster.

International player limits still apply at the time a short-term replacement is made (with the player being replaced not counting against those limits).

NOTE:No changes may be made to a team's active full roster during the period beginning on September 16, 2012 (day after Roster Freeze Date) through the day after MLS Cup. Nevertheless, a team may obtain players in accordance with the extreme hardship rules and procedures to replace players who are injured or otherwise legitimately unavailable after the Roster Freeze Date. Any other replacements after the Roster Freeze Date may only be made in exceptional circumstances in the League’s sole and absolute discretion.

25. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2 loaned to harrisburg:

http://blog.pennlive.com/upper90/2012/04/antoine_hoppenot_and_chandler.html