OFFICIAL - Union: 2012 Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Zman Gunner, Feb 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trzee

trzee Member

Sep 5, 2007
    Aston, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    or Del Piero.

2. ImissTHEheat

ImissTHEheat Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he was more of a free insurance policy if Daniel or Torres didn't make it back this season. One slot is for Hernandez if reports are to be believed.

Trading the other international spot is still an option. NY has a whole host of international trialists in camp and seemingly no way to fit everybody on their roster. Backe and Soler are in a win now situation and may be willing to ditch whatever draft picks they have left in the deal.

If the deal was essentially Kyle Nakazawa and a second round pick in 2013 for NYs first round pick in 2014 by way of an international slot I think it would end up being a good deal.

3. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25216007&postcount=28

Here is my post related to last night's Town Hall meeting for season ticketholders - including some info related to the team's allocation $ situation (currently holding $1.0 - $1.1M which is the most in MLS and much more than most teams) - will have to change some of our assumptions in the roster post to see if we can somewhat back into the range of the team's current balance - did not expect it to be that high).

4. UnionBulldog

UnionBulldog Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Ridley Park
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably means we got a good deal more for Le Toux add in the release of Khalfan and subtract the unknowns of all the new signings and Torres purchase. That is a good amount to work with but I am not expecting them to do much unless there is an injury or MacMath doesn't shine. We have 5 forwards plus Adu and Torres (they could play a withdrawn fwd), 4 outside midfielders, 3 CDMs, Pfeffer and Hernandez, a little defensive depth (though we could use another body here or there).

5. Zman Gunner

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We likely got something in the $250K or so (somewhere between $200K - $300K) for Le Toux based on my discussions after the meeting. Waiving Khalfan just frees up cap space and an international roster spot but it does not impact allocation $. The team does have a lot of resources at its disposal for a mid-season roster upgrade (additional international roster spot, lots of allocation $ if needed for transfer fees and/or cap space buydowns) but I agree that the team is likely set for now. Since the team rarely rests starting defenders, I would imagine that we will just see Albright or the Farfans as spot starters at RB or LB with Williams or Lopez playing CB (with Albright also being an option) if Califf or Valdes miss games. Gaddis and Jordan will get a chance to work on their defender skills in the reserve games.

6. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    The biggest question is that before or after using allocation money to buy down Adu's salary (since I'm still under the assumption we aren't making him a DP).

7. McSoccerdad

McSoccerdad Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Zman,

Thank you for the post of the Town Hall meeting. Under the Academy section you noted praise for the U16s. Was that last years Sum Cup team or this years team? Most of last years kids are now on the U18 team so the U may continue to promote at least 1 from within... But to what end? Zach very talented very young has not seen much time, the other two will see less then him this yr? When does the U sign a HG with some immediate impact?

8. Zman Gunner

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He praised the U16 group from last year who were aging up to the U17 age group.

Academy player pools for U18, U16 and U14 are posted.
    http://www.philadelphiaunion.com/academy/u18

http://www.philadelphiaunion.com/academy/u16

http://www.philadelphiaunion.com/academy/u14

9. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does allocation money carry over from season to season, or is it a use-it-or-lose-it kind of thing?

10. Zman Gunner

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Allocation $ carries over from season to season under the current MLS system and do not have set denomination levels - it is essentially like monopoly $ that can be used within the MLS player acquisition and roster (in the event of a salary budget hit buydown). In the old days of MLS, allocations came in major (i.e. $200K - $250K) or minor form (i.e. $100K - $125K) which could be split - those allocations had an expiration date - major allocations outranked minor allocations so the team with the highest allocation had first dibs on using it in a scenario such as when Donovan returned from Germany (Dallas had the highest ranking allocation at the time - LA had to trade Ruiz to Dallas to get the top allocation spot and then used it to acquire Donovan since Donovan wanted to go to LA).

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Martinez/Mwanga, Pajoy, Adu, Carroll, Gomez, M. Farfan, Lopez, Califf, Valdes, Williams, MacMath[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

Biggest question is who starts up top. Pajoy is now just training with the team but he is the also the only veteran among the group and is coming off a league leading goal scorer season in Colombia - assuming that he is in game shape by March 12, I do not see him starting on the bench. The other spot seems to be a toss-up between of the speedy Martinez versus Mwanga - McInerney will likely be in the mix as a spot starter. The LM spot could also be open between Adu, Daniel, G. Farfan and Torres but Adu seems to be the frontrunner as of now (Daniel as yet to play this pre-season so the Dengue Fever he got last year along with his visa issues seem to have delayed his chance to start - G. Farfan is in the mix as his LB days make more a better two way option when compared to Adu or Torres - in terms of Torres, his defensive liabilities seem to have him again destined more often than not for super sub duties - Martinez could be an option but hte team has played him only as a forward this pre-season). Given its roster, the team seems to be favoring a DM/CM (with Carroll and Gomez starting) or DM/DM empty bucket combo in the central midfield as opposed to a DM/AM combo. With no AM and a DM/DM or DM/CM combo, it will allow the LM and RM to play more offensively and drift more in the middle when needed to fill the AM role. The backline and goalie spots are set.

1 person likes this.
  11. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    There is an expiration date on allocation money from what I remember. Not sure exactly how long it is good for (2 or 3 years I think) but I know it is longer than a year.

12. Convey Crew

Convey Crew Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Section 115 PPL Park
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got that sense from the meeting the other night. There is going to be alot of competition at the midfield, and I really think unless Freddy does a complete 360 he is going to have a hard time busting into the starting 11 or even just getting time period.

13. polman

polman Member

Jul 22, 2005
    Personally, way too much discussion about Nowak's formations and tactics. I thought their biggest problem last year was a complete lack of creativity and ideas, especially in the midfield and final third. You could probably say that about almost every MLS team, a lack of creativity in the final third, but the U were very direct last year. You can't score goals if you don't keep possession, at least consistent goals. And you must have some real creative forces in the midfield to make something happen. Anyone see those types of players for the U this year? And please don't say Adu, Okugo, or Carrol.

14. Convey Crew

Convey Crew Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Section 115 PPL Park
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they are going for more of a holding midfield and they have Pajoy up top that can also hold onto the ball as well as be creative. I also think they will be alot better with set pieces and corner kicks this year.

15. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYP. A 360 would just put him back where he was in the first place. ;)

16. Convey Crew

Convey Crew Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Section 115 PPL Park
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Dills, sorry.

17. Rickster

Rickster Member

Dec 1, 1998
    I think a lot of this had to with Mondragon and LeToux, who really seemed to like to play Hail Mary with long boots into space for Seba to run onto. It will be interesting to see how this develops without both of them on the field.

18. riot71

riot71 Member+

Dec 11, 2003
    New Jersey
    He also did it for Ruiz a ton which made absolutly no sence

19. Pacten

Pacten New Member

May 4, 2010
    I will say Okugo that is playing great creating chances getting assists for the Olympic team.

Say all you want but Feddy Adu from all reports is one of the best players at the Olympic camp. All three Union players, Adu, Okugo, and Jack Mac at the camp are all doing great and they are likely to make the qualification team. Some credit to Nowak on this.

20. SmashtheVan

SmashtheVan Member+

Jan 13, 2009
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then at least we'll have a few weeks without him.

21. ItsJR

ItsJR New Member

May 22, 2011
    Deptford, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where has Pajoy been?

Whats the deal with this guy? I was really looking forward to seeing him play and help the U. But where has he been? I have seen nothing of him in an pictures, training, preseason action. Whats going on?

22. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, he's taken a 180 then ...

23. riot71

riot71 Member+

Dec 11, 2003
    New Jersey
    Re: Where has Pajoy been?

Calm blue ocean calm blue ocean.

1 person likes this.
  24. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, it's a 360.
    It just took nine years for him to get back to the form he displayed at the height of his career. So he's back to playing like he did when he was 13.
    Silver linings and whatnot.

25. Convey Crew

Convey Crew Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Section 115 PPL Park
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I was right, 360.