News: Official: Ricardo Clark Signed by Dynamo

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Art Vandaley, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Hungryjack

Hungryjack Member+

Jul 8, 2006
    Houston
    Damn it people, this thread is for talking about Ricardo Clark!

To contribute: Glenn Davis tweeted that Rico will be on his show tonight. Since he is already training with the team, I would like to hear his thoughts on coming back to Houston. Hopefully, Glenn can get past the usual press release "I'm happy to be here and I just want to make the team better" and dig into his real thoughts on the state of things now versus before he left. A lot has changed in three years.

el jefe2010, anderson and Htownkraut repped this.
  2. Hungryjack

Hungryjack Member+

Jul 8, 2006
    Houston
    In a perfect world, Rico comes back and he's hungry as hell. He comes in two or three games from now as a late sub and puts in a real bang-up showing (possibly a poor choice of words) and gets a starting spot. Since I'm describing a perfect world, Moffat and Camargo both look at each other and say "oh crap! Central midfield is no longer ours!" and then they start working their asses off to fight for a spot. Everyone gets better and Kinnear has to make hard decisions.

Hey, what are the odds that a better-than-ever Clark prompts a return to the 4-4-2?

3. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I came here hoping to find out what happens to Clark if Cameron loses his work-permit appeal. While reading the thread looking for the answer to that question, I saw the Foudy "quote" and reacted to it. I agree that I should have kept my mouth shut.

So, I'm still wondering about my Clark-Cameron question.

4. OrangeCajun

OrangeCajun Member

Nov 28, 2006
    Cypress, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know the 4-3-3 is the du jour thing, and you don't mess with what works, but i would like to see us bach to the 4-4-2. it would put so many people back in their best positions.

5. jvilla07

jvilla07 Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Houston + NOLA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    If Cameron loses his permit appeal then his trade is canceled then that would get interesting. Could he still be traded to a club in another country and did or can the FO make space for him to return?

6. Dynamo_Forever

Dynamo_Forever Member+

Aug 9, 2007
    Clear Lake, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if someone has some free time can they take a look at (for the current season):
    Goals for/against in a 4-3-3
    Goals for/against in a 4-4-2

7. shoeless

shoeless Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The amazing thing is that while there is discourse of different points of view here it is usually civil till an outsider comes in, unless Corey Ashe is being discussed.

Caddman, el jefe2010 and JC507 repped this.
  8. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    agreed!

i think Bruin would benefit going back to the 4-4-2 if you pair him with Carr. i'm still of the opinion that Davis is much better out wide even if he pinches centrally when Corey overlaps. it would also get Camargo back on the field at CAM....and if you think OBG is a bad-ass in this current 4-3-3 formation, imagine him out wide going 1 v 1 versus hapless oppossing LBs.

remember this all started as a 4-5-1 in order to stop a defensive leakage. now you potentially got a spine of Camargo, Rico and Taylor. of course, i have no way of proving that will win 5 more in a row with a switch back to the 4-4-2 since all this is a matter of opinion and preference (mostly preference).

9. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Let's not fix things that aren't broke. The Houston Dynamo are on a very good run defensively, and have been better offensively then we could've even imagined.

ra azua and Dynamo_Forever repped this.
  10. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Almost anything can happen:
    1) Cameron could be traded to another country as long as their transfer window is open.
    2) Clark could be traded to another MLS team
    3) Several players could be moved to make room for both Clark and Cameron.

three above is the most likely scenario if Cameron loses his appeal at a WP BUT it is also one of the more difficult to get done. It is a challenge because we would essentially be forced to trade players for nothing to make the cap space available.

The interesting question in this very hypothetical scenario, will be how long MLS gives the Dynamo to clear the cap space before moving Clark (remember he is signed with the league) and just giving us allocation money.

Roger Allaway repped this.
  11. Indytrojan

Indytrojan Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    wow, what IF scenario 3 did happen? And we DID make room for both? We would be odds on favorites IMO but with less depth. Do you sit Taylor in favor of Cameron at CB. Do you put Cameron at the holding mid spot and Clark on the bench? or do you move Boniek up to Carrs spot and put Cameron where Boniek is playing now. I would hate to see anyone in the starting 11 moved to the bench but you would almost HAVE to because Cameron is too good and Clark is a beast or at least was a beast when he was here. Id be interested to see some mock lineups with Taylor Boniek Cameron and Clark all starting. wow

12. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Yeah, my concern with number three (and it is VERY unlikely) is who we would have to give up to make room. Remember, in this scenario teams have us over a barrel because they know need to make the cap space. Sure we all know who we would like to get rid of . . .but it takes a team willing to take them. I wouldn't bother with a mock lineup because you may see a starter gone to keep both.

13. Levy2k6

Levy2k6 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 19, 2010
    Section 129, Row A
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we should play a 2-5-3 if that happens.

taylor - boswell

OBG - Clark - Camargo - Cameron - Davis

Carr - Bruin - Mac

14. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we release guys, pay them their salary, and get them off the cap/budget? I know we did something like that with Waibel, but I would assume the Dynamo ownership would have to cover the cash outlay to pay them out since we would be over the cap. Also not sure if the league wants to encourage that since you could end up escalating costs in a stealth way by teams just buying their way out of cap issues.

Colin Clark & Weaver would be the first two to go. Not making subs bench now.

Levy2k6 repped this.
  15. Levy2k6

Dec 19, 2010
    Section 129, Row A
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agreed. and Freeman. I know he's gone but I don't mind releasing him 2-3-4 more times

camicia arancione and el jefe2010 repped this.
  16. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    No you cannot. If they get paid they count. We tried to get Waibel to retire and take a FO job but it didn't work and he was on our books. MLS works on cash accounting...anything paid for a player through the league counts.

17. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    anyone know if we're still paying Matt Maloney's salary?

18. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he comes off the books right after Bryce Drew.

Sounds like we'd have to be dumping guys for supplemental draft pics - who cares if it has been eliminated!!!!

19. ra azua

ra azua Member

May 10, 2009
    houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    cant our f-ing owners do us a favor.....
    -lets call it the grandfather clause, or the cameron rule... the rico law???

its for the good of the nation;)

20. Levy2k6

Dec 19, 2010
    Section 129, Row A
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anyone catch his interview on the radio last night?
    I did...

21. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Don't think it will be an issue. But if it is . . we will see.

22. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    no . . whatcha got?

23. Levy2k6

Dec 19, 2010
    Section 129, Row A
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well he needs to go through interview training for sure.

el jefe2010 repped this.
  24. el jefe2010

el jefe2010 Member

May 7, 2010
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My thoughts exactly. He doesn't have a future in the the commentary booth when his playing days are done.

25. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He always sounds like he's about to fall asleep. :D

I didn't realize he had so many injuries abroad. Was it maybe three injuries? Let's not move any of our depth at defensive mid just yet.