Official Pablo (as coach) thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by ~F8~, Apr 7, 2014.

1. ~F8~

~F8~ Member

Sep 5, 2008
    grindin
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Now that he's been "officially" at it for a few weeks, a new thread's in order. I'll say this much right now:

[​IMG]

eat yer heart out Oscar! :thumbsup::whistling::p

JasonMa repped this.
  2. ~F8~

~F8~ Member

Sep 5, 2008
    grindin
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    How are yall liking Pablo's coaching so far? I gotta say so far I'm liking it. Definitely not sold out but it seems most of tha team likes playing for him (though maybe not Torres?). He's got us off to our best start in franchise history. He's coached like it was his to lose since day one...staying focused when tha FO was wringing their hands...Not bein afraid to change formations depending on personnel...starting guys who are playing like they wanna start...other than our lack of goals, I like how this season's started. What things can he improve on?

3. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm fairly satisfied.

I'm not sure where the goals are gonna come from, but I don't think other teams can expect easy goals in Colorado.

The team needs some retooling. Buddle's best days are behind him. Brown's looking like a big sophomore slump. I don't know what's up with Torres. None of this is on Pablo, but I hope he's in Bravo's ear about it.

4. aurelius

aurelius Member

Jul 24, 2007
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    The best start in team history and the back-to-back road victories deserve high praise. He has also been much more controlled on the sidelines than I thought he might be.

The offense seems very much a work in progress as he tries to find the best XI, but several questions still remain. I am puzzled by the use (or lack thereof) of Serna, Torres, and Chavez and by the timing of some of the subs, but he has certainly earned IMO the right to experiment with the talent available to him.

5. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I'm not sure why none of this is on Pablo. Buddle, ok, presumably Bravo had the lead in acquiring him with that salary. But a coach has something to do with his players' performance and could affect the other two guys. We've only heard vague 2nd hand statements about Torres, so we don't know what's going on there.

It's still early, the team is doing well overall; Pablo still has time to help the strikers work better.

6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best start ever after 6 games means that Pablo is (and should be) in good standing. Especially considering the tumultuous offseason. The big challenge now is getting at least one of our big 3 strikers firing on all cylinders.

7. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Yes we've heard Torres is not starting due to how he 'looks' in practice but I see no way Buddle can look so good in practice that it makes up for how he basically just doesn't produce in matches. Swap Torres and Buddle as starters and subs for the next three matches and their combined goal total likely won't suffer -- and we might get the DP we're paying for?

COMtnGuy repped this.
  8. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To add on top of our "best ever" start...we haven't exactly had an easy schedule. On paper we've had one of the toughest schedules in the league, and half of our games have been away from home. Let's contrast that to Dallas, who have the best record right now, but have played 5 out of 7 games at home, and only one of their road games was against a good team. The points we have earned now will come in handy down the stretch when we're trying to get into the playoffs.

Our striker production is the biggest concern. Our second biggest concern is that we don't seem to have an adequate stand-in when Jose Mari can't play.

JasonMa repped this.
  9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Though the schedule does look easier when you see how the other teams on it have started. NY and Portland were the regular season champs of each division last year, but combined they have 10 points in 12 games not against the Rapids. San Jose is awful. But KC and Toronto are top 3 in the East right now and Vancouver is in a playoff spot.

10. murphyskicks

murphyskicks Member

May 15, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    PM is getting better end of game results than I thought he would. That said, he is totally mis-using Brown by playing him outside and I think he has mis-used O'Neill when he puts him at RB.

11. wormhole

wormhole Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Westminster, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing I like about PM is his approach to building a team. He understands adjustments to the new coach and tactics take time. He's establishing the defense and then working towards offense. It may not be sexy in the short-term, but it should work out in the long run. And, draws with a few poached wins this early in the season are better than losses when it comes to the playoff stretch.

In any event it's a much more sound approach than the one that Benedict Arnold instituted 2 years ago.

IndyRapids04 repped this.
  12. Big Chil in Denver

Sep 10, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    COMtnGuy and Rod1916 repped this.
  13. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Agree. If you want Torres (or any other player) to have an impact, not just hold down the fort, then you need to give them more than 8-10 minutes on the pitch. I've still seen some good moves from Torres out in games so far so I am sure he can make things happen. Scratching my head on his time in the games when other forwards ain't doing squat. Bring him in earlier and give him a chance.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  14. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    To be fair to Pablo (and per the rumor that Jason mentioned), Torres may be getting plenty of chances in practice. If others are showing more for the team, then I expect Pablo to do exactly what he is doing. If Pablo is leaving Buddle out there to get his 100th goal, then I have more of an issue. It isn't like Buddle made all of those goals as a Rapid.....

rod.

Soaker888 repped this.
  15. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Yes for sure. I'll bet there is plenty of credence to that rumor (Torres not showing in practice) since he is a DP and most would expect him to start. My point was just that Buddle and Brown have not been impressing consistently in the games (Buddle does have a poacher's goal) and since Torres ain't chopped liver, is a DP for a reason, and I'm sure he has something to prove...just get him in earlier is my only complaint. Personal bias perhaps, since I really like his technical skills and I think he can bring more to the game than Buddle and Brown in that regard.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  16. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I am not totally disagreeing with you, although I would prefer to have him earn his way on the field. Just because we paid a hefty transfer fee shouldn't make him the automatic starter. Although maybe it should give him the benefit of the doubt and more minutes to prove himself in games.

We have a lot of games left, my guess is everything works itself out in the next month.

rod

wormhole repped this.
  17. xingyiz

xingyiz Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Whats the point of having a DP if he doesn't play? It is total BS that he gets put in with 10 or less minutes into the game. I really can't imagine that he looks that bad in practice unless he just doesn't like Pablo and doesn't try at all. I guess it happens to players all the time, but, it's sad to see someone so young wasting away on the bench. Pisses me off!

Dom. FC repped this.
  18. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Are you sure? Are sure you wouldn't rather see Buddle? ;)

Soaker888 and COMtnGuy repped this.
  19. xingyiz

xingyiz Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Ha ha, I'm sure!:thumbsup:

jayd8888 repped this.
  20. wormhole

wormhole Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Westminster, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Some here seem to forget his DP status is a function of his transfer fee, not his salary. I don't expect a player making a base of $250,000 to absolutely start in this league. I'd hope he does, but I wouldn't count on it. If my DP is making nearly 20 times that base, like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clint_Dempsey, that's another thing altogether.

21. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, $250K of a ~$3M cap is not chicken feed, but I think most will agreed that Torres showed last year Technical ability greater than all but 1 current player on team. Given the performace to date this year by other forwards, how do you justify not giving him more playing time?

I keep going back to us throwing Buddle out early last year when it looks like we just took the burger out of his hand and told him go play outside...

jayd8888 repped this.
  22. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    At the risk of repeating myself, this has been my main point. Regarding Torres getting into the games more, his salary is secondary to his already proven ability, especially when comparing him to our other forwards' current form. I'm not talking about starting him, just giving him more in-game time. I don't begrudge Pablo for not giving him a starting spot, I'm sure Torres hasn't earned it. But again, giving him or any player the likes of his skill/level 7-8 minutes to make an impact in the game is asking for poor results.

xingyiz, COMtnGuy and 22SteveD repped this.
  23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would expect a player that a team spend DP money on to start, regardless of if that money was in a transfer fee or salary. Certainly a player that was co-Golden Boot of a confederation championship within the last year should be good enough to start.

(Caveat, if the team announced/made it clear that his acquisition was as a young player to build him into a star then I would understand not starting)

xingyiz and COMtnGuy repped this.
  24. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Yet Dempsey's goals ($/goal) are cheaper, zero is a nasty denominator making Torres' production thus far cost infinity/goal. We've scored three less goals than we have league points (minus pks makes it worse) so it is pretty clear we need a 'star' striker ... probably not going to be Buddle.