Official: NYC Soccer Stadium

Discussion in 'New York City FC' started by napolisoccer, Apr 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatmeal

Oatmeal Member

Dec 2, 2006
    So how about that rumor?

2. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    which rumor do you speak of? There are a lot going around. PM me if you want to talk off line

3. Bucky-O'Hare

Bucky-O'Hare Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Ireland
    Club:
    Derry City
    Why would you not speak of a rumour? This entire forum is based on rumours.

4. EL YANQUI

EL YANQUI Red Card

Jun 3, 2011
    ACEVEDO DIAZ Y CHANA
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    The rumor is that Monster Energy drink is now a front runner for the NYC expansion movement they see an oportunity to go at it with their energy drink rivals.... the NY team will be called Monster New Jersey.. Since Red Bull have NY in their name and play in NJ Monster thought it would be funny if they had NJ in their name while playing in NY.........Chuck Blazer is going to be involved in monster and has put in a good word at red bull for jack warner to come on board in Harrison....

Together Chuck and Jack look to rob and steal money from both clubs to fund their lavish life style, true it wont be on a grand scale like when they had their glory years at concacaf but its still better than actually getting real jobs......................

5. lfcli30

lfcli30 Member

Jun 21, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The rumor floating around is the cosmos group buying into RBNY and renaming the team "New York Cosmos" with Red Bull as an advertiser. In the whole scheme of this NY2 saga, this one isn't the most far-fetched, but still highly doubtful.

6. Real_Madrid_Fan

May 9, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    more and more confusion!!!

7. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not the one I heard but I guess there has always been speculation of that.

Put it this way dude, as I know someone posted my comments on Metrofanatic for all to mock.

If they look through the threads on that site, they will see the rumor that I am talking about. One of their members heard it from someone in a bar.

Well we have heard it from a few sources as well.

Again, it seems crazy but it just keeps popping up. The reason I don't like speaking of it directly is because we are asking around and still not much supports it.

So I am banking this as just a rumor, but IF TRUE, would be great for both clubs.

8. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it the rumor that is essentially a ground swap? Where the Red Bulls take over the new NYC stadium and the Cosmos name and NY2 moves into RBA with a non-Red Bulls name? I've also seen a number of variations where Red Bull sells their franchise and takes over the NY2 expansion with, or without, the Cosmos name, where it is a straight up ground swap and NY2 gets the Cosmos name and RBA and RB gets the NYC stadium, but keeps the name, etc.

9. fifty7

fifty7 Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Long Island
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Say RBNY become New York Cosmos, white home, green away, blue alt, with a Red Bull shirt sponsorship, still play at Red Bull Arena in NJ. Would the Borough Boys support? Personally, I would be inclined to. It could mean Team 20 would be Orlando or some other city, not "NYC2". What if RBNY become the Cosmos in Harrison AND there's an NYC2?

10. EL YANQUI

EL YANQUI Red Card

Jun 3, 2011
    ACEVEDO DIAZ Y CHANA
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    Yes I would return to NJ if the energy drink name and image was gone never to return....
    hope that answers your question 50...

Now this rambling about a RUMOR HEARD IN A BAR HA HA HA HA HA HA

I hear lots of things in a bar... Yep nothing like taking the ramblings of a pub drunk and thinking it has merit.... Just like the stadim "design" some dumb drunk mutt had folded in his pocket claiming it was some design for a space in flushing meadows.... out of respect to nick and not to become a spectacale of myself in vinnies bar who has been nothing but first class person to me I did not take that photo copy crumpled it up and threw it in the face of the idiot with his bold statements...

2 stadiums in NY drink moving to NY and another NY team to boot and a multi million dollar investment in harrison to become a stage for extream sports this is laughable..... its as laughable as saying Godzilla vs King Kong is worthy of an academy award for best foreign film back in the 60s

11. fifty7

fifty7 Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Long Island
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://twitter.com/#!/drdkilpatrick

Does anyone know more about who this person is? He's a professor of literature and philosophy at Mercy and apparently a soccer blogger who has done at least one academic paper on RBNY's youth programs. He tweeted about "chatter" that Red Bull and Sela Sport were talking brand merger.

12. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His tweets repeatedly say it is just an Internet rumor he's seen and that he hasn't heard anything from people he knows at MLS and RBNY.

13. SpiritualUnity

Mar 21, 2012
    Yes. The rumour is absolutely preposterous.
    However, this conversation began with Nick saying that he had heard it from multiple people he trusted.
    Nick. Is this the rumour you heard, or are we on the wrong track?

14. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey dude - well met - yes - i saw my name being linked. lol

The rumor i hear is that Redbull are not re-branding but they might be interested in a move themselves. Possibly 2 teams in the city is what MLS might be looking at.

It sounds too crazy to believe though, which is why I am hesitant to post it lol

15. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    They might be interested in it since they never wanted to be in NJ in the first place, but they're not eating that investment on RB Arena at this point. Not unless someone buys it off of them and that's not happening.

16. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Again - dont shoot the messanger, I am just stating what has been going around.

Just be patient and wait it out. Personally, after hearing this, I am burnt - lol. Im just sitting back and waiting.

17. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    I understand. I'm just thinking aloud about how deep such a rumor goes. I know Red Bull isn't concerned about money as far as their sports ventures go, but this would seriously take the cake. It would show a far more cavalier attitude towards money for them to even think about it than I gave them credit for.

Now I could imagine Sela's interest stemming from a growing impatience in holding a dormant brand, but it wouldn't suit Red Bull's interests.

18. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Right now the Cosmos stance...and we recently have had conversations with the group....is that they are being quite and they know how it appears.

They are aware that its tough to go from the PK era where it was all out there in the open to something like this where they are quite.

They are definitely working to get it done and feel that the fans deserve to know information only when its concrete.

Again though, I will believe it when I see it. lol

19. EL YANQUI

EL YANQUI Red Card

Jun 3, 2011
    ACEVEDO DIAZ Y CHANA
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    Just a reminder to every one the out in the open PK era was an era of LIES FANTASIES AND MORE LIES and mercenay PAY PER LIE Pele also lent a helping word or 2.....

at this point wait and see is the right approach..

I urge every one to wait and see and dont give a F**K .... when there is a news conference and its in local news and internet nerds on big soccer are crying about how NY does not deserve another team when its official then we can give a F**k about the team, tifo, songs, tickets, and then bicker and argue about more important stupid things like who are the morons in the first row who dont even sing or why I was thrown out from the stadium after the game and how one of my friends robbed a cosmos fan and took his tickets to get into the stadium cause he had no money and how flushing meadows park needs to have way better lights cause its to dark and hence these muggings wont take place and that fat skin head chick from DC would have not gotten raped when walking out of the stadium...wake me when a stadium is built over the toxic waste man made pond pool or what ever that man made pond is suppose to be.....

At this point its wake me when there is some thing to report.......until then ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Alot of rumors are being said dreamed of and made up... these rumors are more silly than the rumor that hal jordan was gay when it really was the green lantern from earth 2...

20. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are aware that you're in an expansion forum, right? Rumors is all there is right now. That's a giant wall of screed for something that everyone already knows.

Although, I will say this particular one is just silly... RBNY just dropped $200 million on RBA. Why would they move to NYC and leave RBA empty? I don't think that RBNY moving to NYC is silly, its the leaving RBA empty that is silly. A $200 million write off is pretty huge..

21. EL YANQUI

EL YANQUI Red Card

Jun 3, 2011
    ACEVEDO DIAZ Y CHANA
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    If red drink left harrison it would be a living insult to soccer fans.... from what i hear that facility is fantastic I have never been but only hear good things about it... redbull could move to times square and it wont make a difference... when are they going to realize their name is a turn off... go where they may go they are not going to get the masses with their current image.... AUSTRIA IS A PERFECT EXAMPLE OF THAT......... those people would rather go to their 5th division resurected club Energy drink discarded when this abortion pulled this crap in Salzberg

22. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Different situation and I suspect you know it. In Austria, Red Bull took over a team that had over 70 years of history and tossed that history into the bin by saying they were a new club. When Red Bull first bought out SV Salzburg the fans were happy, it was only when they said they weren't going to keep the history of the club that the fans turned on them. That isn't the case with the MetroStars, the team was less than a decade old and there wasn't a connection between the community and the team like there was in Salzburg.

Blaming the name is silly. What is hurting the Red Bulls is the incompetence of the FO. If they had kept the MetroStars name and done everything else the same, they would be in the exact same predicament they are in now. Get a competent FO in their and the team would be filling up RBA every game.

23. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ten years of history is still history.

It's not merely 'the name,' stupid as that name is - it's the fact that the name connect directly and unambiguously to a brand which takes precedence over everything. Soccer is not and never will be Job #1 for RB in Austria, and they are the ones who call the shots in NJ.

At this point, I don't believe that anything short of a multi-year run of domination and championships will even make a significant mark in the attendance and attention problems that the RB experiment suffers from here. And the chances of such a run happening? Somewhere close to zero.

The NY area market is damaged for MLS - perhaps just for a generation, perhaps beyond repair. The Metros certainly played a large part in that, but RB has frittered away the last big chance in the form of the stadium.

24. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    10 years of suck, yes. Both on the field and off the field. In the case of the MetroStars, dumping the history was a good thing.

25. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Incorrect. 10 years of mediocrity, just like 60-70% of the rest of the league - almost any team not called DC United or LA Galaxy. The Metros weren't the Clippers or the Pirates. They made the playoffs most years. They did better in the stands than most other teams for many of those years. For people who were there - and I was one of them - there were quite a few good moments in among the shit (of which there was plenty.)

So ******** you, whoever you think you are, for talking like that about the organization I cared about and invested my time and energy in for those 10 years, hoping to build something.

'Better off dumped'? Attitudes like this are why US soccer fans are their own worst enemies. Keep wondering why millions of people here love the sport and yet want little or nothing to do with what we're stuck with here.
    I'm no Eurosnob (more like the opposite) but I've got little interest in hanging around or making common cause with people who think like that.

Ed NYC Firm, Haig, lfcli30 and 4 others repped this.