Official New Jersey News Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by MasterShake29, Jan 5, 2007.

1. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Official New Jersey Ironic News Thread

Because we're too dumb to pump our own gas.

2. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ

Listening to NPR this morning, I think it was Corzine mentioned that there are 23 school districts that don't even have any schools. WTF?!?

3. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Welcome to New Jersey!

We have more school districts than we have towns.

Why? Um...

4. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And yet the Jersey City and Newark districts have around 100,000 students each. Seems about right, doesn't it?

5. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a question.

NJ is funding some stem cell research institute.

Putting aside the moral questions, let's say they actually find something useful. What happens then? Who profits?

6. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    Johnson & Johnson, who else?

7. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jersey does from the taxes on profits, salaries and bonuses.

8. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That sounds like corporate welfare to me.

9. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Sadly, yes.........

10. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I can explain that. Can't defend it, but I can explain it.

Let's say that your dinky little independent town, East Bumfutz, NJ, has too few school-aged children to build your own school. West Bumfutz has lots of kids and schools. So, East Bumfutz's town council decides to send its kids to West Bumfutz schools instead of building its own school, paying West Bumfutz a per-head charge to educate your students. But you don't want to just send your kids to West Bumfutz and let their school board decide the curriculum for your East Bumfutz kids, so you start your own East Bumfutz school board (which includes multiple salaried positions) that then works with the West Bumfutz school board to decide how your kids will be taught collectively.

Everyone agrees that it's overkill, but no single district wants to reliquish control to another district. And, those salaried positions on the no-school school boards are held by fine upstanding local citizens of your little town -- might even have been popularly elected by the town to fill that role. So when Corzine talks about regionalization, no one wants to be the ones taking the sacrifice.

11. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA

It's strange. Some very wealthy towns such as Saddle River belong to a regional HS district, thereby saving people like Jason Kidd $ while other small, blue collar towns in Bergen County such as Wood-Ridge & Wallington are single districts. You'd think these little districts would want to regionalize. Not in NJ.

The same can be said of police depts. in those small towns. They probably have 20-25 officers plus captains, lieutenants, a police chief, etc. Seriously, that many cops could easily cover Wood-Ridge & Wallington. But you'll always hear the police cry "let's not take chances with our safety." They probably never even did a feasibility study of combining departments.

12. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just because Saddle River may belong to a regional HS district, doesn't mean they don't have their own district themselves.

It's a mess. Luckily Jon Corzine is coming to the rescue, after he spends a whole bunch more money that the state doesn't have and sells the Turnpike.

13. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA

They actually have their own K-8 district. But they were smart enough to look outside the district for their HS students. Small towns should've thought of this 40-50 yrs. ago but everyone wanted home control back then and are afraid (i guess) to do it today.

14. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Official New Jersey Ironic News Thread

Are you looking forward to moments like this?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_0bEHJY9oo
    http://www.njgra.org/aboutus.htm
    William Dressler Executive Director
    Or did you mean Senator & Dentist Gerald Cardinale? http://www.gerrycardinale.com/
    New Jersey is a bastion of home rule! Some towns have multiple districts: one for its own students or elementary school(s) & a second, regional, high school district (sometimes grades 7-12). There are 566 towns in New Jersey, each with its own politicians & administration, as well as >400 local police departments, maybe 100 other police agencies & 615 school districts. Each county also has its own vo-tech district.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_districts_in_New_Jersey
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/15/n...91a80e19f15b&ei=5089&partner=rssyahoo&emc=rss
    http://www.njccvts.org/districts.asp
    The 5k appears to be only the one payoff that he pled to, probably the one with the most proof. It's enough to get him 2 years in fed prison. There are a lot more stories about this guy & Bricktown itself.

15. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Official New Jersey Ironic News Thread

Many small towns are happy with their small departments, as most officers are on patrol duties, not in special units. Even large departments are top-heavy with brass. The New Jersey State Police have about 750 sergeants out of 3,000 officers!
    http://www.nypd2.org/html/recruit/salary.html
    1 in 6 ... of the NYPD are Detectives. (6000+)
    1 in 7 ... of the NYPD are Sergeants. (5000+)
    1 in 20 ... of the NYPD are Lieutenants (1800+)

16. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  17. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    back to pumping our own gas for a moment...

I've read that insurance prices would go up if self-service was implemented and it's actually cheaper to pay some one to pump our gas for us then for us to pump it ourselves. Higher insurance premiums for the gas station means higher priced gas for you. So sit in your car and enjoy the savings.

18. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New Jersey is one of only two states that take away the freedom of people in its borders to pump their own gas.

New Jersey has the highest auto insurance rates in the nation.

Coincidence?

19. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    I'm talking about the insurance rates the gas stations pay not your car insurance. I'm not sure there is a correlation.

If we went to self service what would happen?

-A lot of gas pumpers would lose their jobs.
    -you'd have to pump your own gas.
    -insurance rates would probably go up for the gas stations because "untrained" people are now pumping gas.
    -our gas prices would probably go up. Call me a cynic, but I doubt they'd go down.

I lean libertarian most of the time but I'm finding it hard to grasp how this lack of freedom is hurting me?

20. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe gas station insurance rates would go up. I have no clue. But 48 states allow people to pump their own gas, and you don't hear about gas stations blowing up on a regular basis. Somehow I think we could cope.

21. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    If insurance companies have a reason to raise rates, they will. No matter how stupid the reason is.

22. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's amazing how people in 48 states are smart enough to pump their own gas, but people in NJ and OR apparently haven't mastered the use of opposable thumbs.

Maybe NJ has an excuse with all those chemical plants leeching toxins into the water table for the last 150 years, but what's OR's excuse? :D

23. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I hate pumping my own gasoline.

24. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would you have to pump your own gas? The rest of the civilized world has both self and full service lanes.

As for the insurance rates, I would love it if you could link to an article saying this. It seems like lobbyist spin to me.

25. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey