Official Melbourne Victory Thread II [R]

Discussion in 'Australian A-League' started by RED STRIPE MAGIC, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    The game is for everyone, we played within the rules. Take this defeat on the chin and show us that in Melbourne the result will be different.

The result more than anything makes for an interesting finish and opens it up. Chunnma can still turn it around, but i hope not for match day 3 and 4.

2. kueee_dawg

kueee_dawg New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Eight days till the Gamba Osaka game. Can't wait to see how good we are against J-league opposition.

3. RED STRIPE MAGIC

Oct 20, 2006
    Melbourne
    i think we will loose both games

4. head butt the ball

Mar 31, 2008
    Hopefully we can make a comeback and win both the matches that we have.

5. RED STRIPE MAGIC

Oct 20, 2006
    Melbourne
    Melbourne Victory to fly in mystery Costa Rican striker

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23474007-2883,00.html

THE Carlos Hernandez factor has led Melbourne Victory to consider signing another Costa Rican.

Encouraged by Hernandez's form late in the A-League season, Victory is poised to trial a Costan Rican striker, perhaps as early as next week, with a possibility he could play in an exhibition game against Adelaide United.

While Victory officials are tight-lipped about the identity of the player, it is known he played for Hernandez's former club, LD Alajuelense, and was recommended by the agent who helped guide Hernandez to Melbourne last season.

The only factor holding up the player's appearance at Victory training is the approval of the correct visa, which needs to be issued to the striker from Mexico via mail.

"We're working on it," Victory football operations manager Gary Cole said yesterday.

"We're waiting on the visa and until that gets ticked off we don't really know for sure when he'll be here."

After a slow start to his A-League career, Hernandez showed his value as an attacking midfielder with some excellent performances and goals in the second half of the season, leading to his recall to the Costa Rica national team for a pair of friendlies.

The achievements of Hernandez, who was consulted about the prospective signing, were enough to encourage the Victory football department to take a look at some more Costa Rican talent and bring the striker out for a two-week trial.

"Carlos proved to be a quality player and there's plenty of good players over there, so we decided to have a look at him," Cole said.

"(The striker) has got all the right pedigree, so we'll see if he suits us."

Victory has made no secret of the fact it needs another quality striker to support Archie Thompson and Danny Allsopp.

Brazilian Leandro Love has made little impact and will probably depart when his loan deal expires on June 30.

Even with Thompson out injured for the next eight weeks, Leandro will stay on the bench for Wednesday night's Asian Champions League home game against Gamba Osaka.

Adrian Caceres is set to move from his regular spot on the wing into a striker's role alongside Allsopp.

Victory trialled former Aston Villa striker Stefan Moore for a fortnight and played him in a game against Whittlesea Stallions, but it decided to look at other players as the club puts together a squad capable of making the A-League finals.

Other strikers are being considered for trials, but they will be on hold until the coaching staff runs the rule over the mystery Costa Rican in the next fortnight.

6. head butt the ball

Mar 31, 2008
    I was hoping that Harry Kewell would be picked up by our great team.

7. RED STRIPE MAGIC

Oct 20, 2006
    Melbourne
  8. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
  9. Quicky

Quicky Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Wherever I May Roam
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    An attacking game eh :rolleyes: When have I heard that one from Merrick before!!!

Just from reading the game reports it sounds like our starting line up will look something like this:

------------------Allsopp--------------
    --------Caceres-----------Celeski------
    ------------------Ward----------------
    -------------Pace-------Broxham-------
    ----Kemp----Vargas----Muscat----Ryall-
    ----------------------------------------
    ----------------Theoklitos--------------

If its true it doesn't look all that attacking and I'm not sure it'll be good enough for Gamba but we'll see I guess.

Anyone have any idea how good this Costa Rican bloke we're looking at signing is?? El Cuscatleco??

10. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Personally i've never seen the guy play so i'm no help there, sorry :eek:

You can always ask in the Central American forum, where there are many Costa Rican's who might be able to give you some info.

Try this link:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?p=14276016

I'm sure someone will be able to help you out.

11. Glory08

Glory08 Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Perth, Australia
    Quicky, why Pace at DM :eek: . Where is Pondeljak? He'd be for that position, is he injured? :(

Apparently, according to Merrick, Caceras may be pushed up front. Hopefully Kaz will get a start, he can play in Caceras' position.

I have to be honest though, without Brebner, Carlos and Archie your side looks alot weaker :( , no wonder your side struggled for most of this past A-League season. You're SOO reliant on your #10's, which is good and bad I guess.

Here's his Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windell_Gabriels

He's only 23 and has spent his whole career so far in Costa Rica. He's in the NT squad, but apparently he hasn't been capped yet, which I don't see as a great sign. Carlos Hernandez was a NT player and played in the 2006 World Cup, despite only being 24. Carlos made his NT debut at age 21/22. I guess it can be different for different players, different positions etc...

He seems an impressive unit though, going by that pic and those stats (6'2 and a half, solid frame, powerful legs). And you're not looking for a leading striker, just a striker to compliment your 2 main ones. So I guess he seems like what you might be looking for? His price range should be reasonable too.

12. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Yeah i had a look at his wikipedia profile when his name was mentioned as a possible signing, but it's rather vague so i didn't take it into consideration. I mean apart from his age, height etc. There is nothing else to learn about the guy. Add to that the fact that Wikipedia is based on user added information, you can't take everything it says as being 100% correct.

Wiki states that he started at LD Alajuense (one of the 2 big teams in Costa Rica, and one of the more well respected teams in the CONCACAF region), and then move on to Perez Zeldon (A decent team, who regulary makes the final series, but rarely makes it past the first quarters). Then he returned to LDA last year, before going back to PZ this year.

As for his national team experiance, he was part of the Costa Rican perliminary 2002 WC squad (when he was only 17), but i don't know if he got any game time. More recently he took part in the 2007 Gold Cup. Now adays i think he has been left out of the Costa Rican squads, not because he is not good enough but because there current coach seems to rather select players from his old club side Saprissa.

Thats pretty much all i've got.

Like i said, if you guys want more info, ask in the CA forums through the link i gave in my earlier post and i'm sure you'll get the answers you need.

13. Pasqualino redded

Mar 26, 2008
    Canada
    I like the look of Windell Gabriels.

14. Quicky

Quicky Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Wherever I May Roam
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I don't know mate you'd be better asking Merrick ;) I based that team on news reports etc that i've read about the game - it's not how i think they should line up but how they look like they will line up. Pace has been training in defensive midfield. Although I guess that might be as a precaution if Broxham who has a knock doesn't get up. Merricks said he'd play Caceres and Ward in a three prong attack with Allsopp. I havn't heard any news about Pondeljak. If Pondeljak is fit this would be a better line up for my mind:

------------------Allsopp--------------
    ------Caceres--------------Pondeljak------
    -------------Celeski---Ward----------------
    -----------------Broxham-----------------
    ----Kemp----Vargas----Muscat----Ryall-
    ----------------------------------------
    ----------------Theoklitos--------------

Thanks for the wiki btw!!!

15. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Here's an interview with Windell Gabriels from awhile back.

[youtube]DFusKhfvN2o[/youtube]

16. Vamos Ticos

Vamos Ticos Member

Jul 18, 2006
  17. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    For anyone who can't read it, it says he is expected to join the Victory in the first week of June on a one year loan, with an option to buy.

It also says he is being brought in to help out with the Champions league, but by June the group stage will be over so i doubt thats gonna happen.

Either way, we'll have to wait and see what happens.

Here's his Wiki page: José Luis López Ramírez

18. Ward2Thompson

Ward2Thompson New Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Bit of a strange signing? A defensive mid-feilder. We alrady have Broxham and Brebner, could it mean the end for Grant? Pesonally, i hope so. He offers the team nothing.

However, our midfeild now is really stacked,
    Ward, Hernandez, Broxham, Celeski, Patafta and now Ramirez.

Are we still looking at signing Gabriels?

Was the Adelaide match today or is that next week? If it was today, any news on the game?

One thing is for sure, Carlos is going to have plenty of friends this season! LOL.

19. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Adelaide United FC has drawn 0-0 with Melbourne Victory at Olympic Park in Melbourne, in the teams’ final trial match as they prepare for their next match in the AFC Champions League 2008 Group Stage.......

Link: 'Friendly; Between Adelaide And Melbourne Ends Goalless

20. Quicky

Quicky Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Wherever I May Roam
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Here are the opinions on Windell Gabriels from the Costa Rican forum.

I read that Moore has given up on signing for Victory as well and is now trying to get back in the Walsall squad.

21. Ward2Thompson

Ward2Thompson New Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Whats going on with Carlos? originally it was suppose to be four weeks with him possibly back for the second game against Chonburi!

Its been about ten weeks now, his not named again for tommorow night, any news on his injury?

22. Glory08

Glory08 Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Perth, Australia
    He's still in his cast, apparently?

BTW Any news on possible recruits? I'm guessing news on Windell Gabriel has died down. There was that 'Lopez' or what have ever his name was, Defensive Midfielder, from Costa Rico, aswell.

There was a rumour about some Dutch based Brazilian, I'm hoping it's true he'll join the A-League, whether it's Melbourne, Newcastle or Perth even:

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/73806,dutch-samba-star-considers-aleague-move.aspx

23. Quicky

Quicky Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Wherever I May Roam
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Looks like an awesome prospect gotta say, a bit out of our league maybe. Would probably have to bench Allsopp to accomadate him tho and a I can't seriously see Merrick doing that. Interesting that he's from Willem II, thats where Keenan came from. Maybe thats where the connection comes from. We'd be looking pretty formidable next season of we manage to recruit this guy.

24. RED STRIPE MAGIC

Oct 20, 2006
    Melbourne
    even theo we lost last night by gamba i still think that the victory is going to be a very strong side in the next season of the aleague. victory play good when they are at home but when playing in another country they are not used to it. it showed last night and when we also lost in thailand. i really want to see the big grand final against melbourne and sydney and of course i am a melbourne fan would like melbourne to knock there socks off. but it will be a very good game against the two and also would show class when shown in other parts of the world.

25. RED STRIPE MAGIC

Oct 20, 2006
    Melbourne
    http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23625988-5000940,00.html?from=public_rss

Victory can expect city rivals by 2010-11

MELBOURNE Victory are on notice they will have an A-League rival in the city sooner rather than later.

While Victory are protected by a five-year deal to be the only A-League team in Melbourne, Football Federation Australia has identified the Victorian capital as a priority location as they look to expand the league from eight to 12 teams.

While Townsville and Gold Coast are set to join the A-League next year for its fifth season, it is reasonable to think a second Melbourne team will be admitted for the 2010-11 season, if not sooner.

FFA research ranks Melbourne second behind western Sydney, and ahead of the Gold Coast and Townsville, as a location most suited for an expansion franchise.

"Melbourne definitely has the capacity to sustain a second team," FFA chief executive Ben Buckley said yesterday.

"We've clearly identified Melbourne as a priority area to expand. The capital is there in Melbourne and the support is there in Melbourne."

One key factor in favour of a second Melbourne team will be the new rectangular stadium, purpose-built for football and rugby league as a home venue for Victory in summer and Melbourne Storm during the winter.

A second team would offer the chance to increase use of the stadium and draw new fans to the A-League while creating the competition's first intra-city rivalry.

While Victory are not publicly in favour of embracing a second Melbourne team, their success on and off the field could have played a strong part in the FFA's desire to have another team in Victoria.

Victory have outstripped every A-League club in attendances and membership, are a popular TV team and have been able to quickly turn a profit. The FFA theory is Victory should treat a second Melbourne team as a rival rather than a threat.

"You may be able to go to (a game in) Melbourne and have 30,000 fans each week," Buckley said. "The assumption that 50 per cent of Melbourne Victory's support would immediately switch allegiances is incorrect. There is a growing appetite for the game and we want to tap it."

FFA has been approached by people wanting to establish a second Melbourne team, but, according to Buckley, there has been no formal application even though the bid is "seen as very advanced in some quarters".

If a second Melbourne team was ready to go before the end of Victory's five-year protection period, FFA would ask for that exemption to be dropped, but the bottom line places the onus firmly on any expansion team, whether it be from Melbourne, Sydney or any other city.

"We can't afford to have a club come in and drag the chain," Buckley said.

"We have to be 100 per cent certain they will come in and not be a burden."

THE A-League has posted a "modest profit" on the 2007-08 financial year, according to Buckley, who has forecast another profit next year.

Meanwhile, Fox Sports has announced it would telecast live the May 30 friendly between Victory and Juventus at Telstra Dome.

Would you stay a melbourne victory fan or would you switch and back the new club when they come in. even if it could be somehow apart of the south melbourne club in the v league