Official Melbourne Victory Thread II [R]

Discussion in 'Australian A-League' started by RED STRIPE MAGIC, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blake8

Blake8 Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Sydney
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    the magic has defintely left 'australias best football club' lol

2. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Ange, Musc%&t, Kewell...

3. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  4. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    missed this from tues:
    Triggered the get-out clause because he didn't make enough:

Wonder if Ange is that keen on keeping him?

5. Bass0r

Bass0r Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Tokyo/N. Velidhoo
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Wouldn't think so, given Ange's reputation. Not that it wouldn't be bad to keep him as a player, but I think he'd be keen on finding balance in the squad and that would probably mean letting Harry go.

"For the greater good."

6. ManchesterUnited2110

Jun 11, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Hello,
    I have just recently joined this forum because it is one of the few forums that actually offer information about the A –League and have a large member base from Australia. I am thinking of moving to Australia (Melbourne most likely) in the future for school and I am a HUGE football fan. I follow all the top leagues in the world from; League 1, Bundesliga, Premier League, Championship, Seria A and so on. I spend around 14 hours of day on football :p
    I have a few questions for you if you don’t mind answering them for me of course.
    What is the rivalry between Melbourne Heart and Melbourne Victory? How is the fan bases spread? Is it like in some cities based on the North and South? Neighborhoods or what? Also why do people dislike Heart and why do people dislike Victory?

What is the current level of the A-League? Both financially and playing wise. I’ve tried researching online but it’s quite challenging as there are not many video on the internet showing games or even highlights and the ones that do don’t really show too much as most things look good on YouTube.
    What is the Asian Champions league like? I’ve seen the rewards offered and so on and they are not even close to what UEFA offers is but that is understandable. But what is the quality of the football like?
    When does the A-League and Champions league start and is it possible to watch online? Are there any websites or forums I should be following?

I am extremely interested in Australian football and want to learn about it as much as possible as well as see what people from Australia think of football (soccer). I’ve posted this message on the Hearts official thread as well as Victory’s as I want to see the response from both teams and fans.
    I would like to thank you in advance for answering my questions if you do and I apologize if my English is not the best as I am not a native speaker. Thank you

7. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    If this board still had MV fans they'd be posting stuff like:

and

... which is a strange reason to back out of talks with weeks to go, when he could have missed a bit of pre-season.

Wonder which Championship club will sign him?

el-capitano repped this.
  8. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  9. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    That's the last foreign spot, International Marquee and probably the last big buy given the money Flores was after.

GK
    1. Tando Velaphi
    20. Lawrence Thomas

DF
    2. Matthew Foschini RB
    3. Adama Traore LB
    4. Petar Franjic CB
    23. Adrian Leijer CB
    ??. Sam Gallagher CB

MF:
    6. Leigh Broxham DM
    11. Marco Rojas LW
    13. Diogo Ferreira DM/RB
    14. Billy Celeski CM
    17. James Jeggo CM
    19. Isaka Cernak AM
    ??. Spase Dilevski DM/RB
    ??. Julius Davies AM
    ??. Marcos Flores AM
    ??. Guilherme Finkler AM
    ??. Jonathan Bru CM

FW.
    10. Archie Thompson
    18. Danny Allsopp
    ??. Theo Markelis

Great going through the centre, not a lot of width but wow, that defence... if Thomas gets injured/loses form... if Franjic or Gallagher don't step up...

10. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Well he's trying to sort it out with Judas. ;)

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1112458/Milligan-headed-back-to-Melbourne

11. RED STRIPE MAGIC

Oct 20, 2006
    Melbourne
    good to see my thread is still here. i havn't been to this website for over a year now.

12. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I'm thinking to myself...what the bloody hell has Ange Postecoglou gotten himself into???

13. TheWorldPunter

TheWorldPunter New Member

Dec 20, 2012
    It's Melbourne Derby time. Here is my prediction:

Melbourne Heart

Melbourne Heart have not had an ideal start to the season only managing 3 wins and 5 losses in 13 matches and sitting in eighth position. The most recent loss came against league leaders Central Coast Mariners last week when they were defeated 2-0 at the hands of a Pedj Bojic brace. However, as they head into the Melbourne Derby for the second time this season they are sporting a much better record at home, only suffering defeat once.
    Heart have only conceded 14 goals this season, but face concerns up front only managing 12 goals themselves led by Richard Garcia and Josip Tadic with 3 apiece. Hearts chances of a second derby win this season have been boosted with the long-awaited return of dynamic midfielder Jonatan Germano, putting Heart at almost full strength for this weekends tie.

Melbourne Victory

Melbourne Victory started slow this season under the reign of Ange Postecoglou, but are begining to hit some form of late with 3 wins in their past 6 matches. Last weeks 1-1 draw with Brisbane showed the attacking power that Victory are capable of but on the flip-side the instability of their defence. Michael Theo's superb performance denied the Victory of another win, but the draw leaving them in third place.
    Despite Victory's winning records this season (5-2-4) they have conceded the most goals in the league behind Sydney FC and Newcastle Jets. Interestingly however, the Victory are playing at their favoured AAMI Park at which they are undefeated so far this season.

Prediction

The Melbourne derby is here for the second time this season after Heart took a 2-1 win in round one thanks to goals from Williams and MacAllister. Over the seven previous derby's the Victory (2.30) have only managed to win once while Heart (2.60) are searching for their fourth. Despite Melbourne Victory's poor record against their local rivals, we are predicting their recent offensive form and solid record at AAMI Park to get them over the line. Expect their shaky defence to concede, so if you're looking for better value 2-1 in the correct score market (8.50) could be your best bet.

Quicky repped this.
  14. TheWorldPunter

TheWorldPunter New Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Also to add to the A League clashes this weekend, Central Coast should take an easy win over the Phoenix in Wellington.

The Phoenix have a pretty poor record at home recently loosing to bottom placed Sydney FC, not to mention the fact that Phoenix have failed to take a single point from their last 6 ties with the Mariners. Central Coast have taken 22 points out of a possible 24 from their last eight matches and certainly on track for a second consecutive minor premiership.

Take Central Coast (2.00) to win and certainly over 2.5 goals (1.97) with inform Daniel McBreen looking good to put one in the back of the net.

15. Hachiko

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if the copypasta was necessary, but you got it right.

16. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Hachiko

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good victory from the team.

19. Dannyd

Dannyd Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Sydney
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Rojas has been unreal this season. Ordinarily at this stage we'd claim them - like Pavlova, Anzac cookies, Russell Crowe and Phar Lap... However since he's been capped for NZ, I've noticed alot of Australian articles like to slip in mention of his Chilean heritage. No wonder we weren't welcome over there for the RWC....

20. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. lilcookie

lilcookie Member

May 6, 2005
    choc chip mountain
    That Australia Day game was so good, I'm pissed off I couldn't attend because it was sold out.