Official Melbourne Victory Thread II [R]

Discussion in 'Australian A-League' started by RED STRIPE MAGIC, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quicky

Quicky Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Wherever I May Roam
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Melbourne Victory have just signed Tom Pondeljak to a two year deal and extended Nick Wards contract for a further year.

Well i can't see Kaz staying around now and i think if he did it'd probably be a mistake for him. Pondeljak will add a fair bit to our midfield though. We've got someone who can play central and right midfield, can score goals and i think importantly takes corners. With Caceres and possibly Kaz gone i think we might be losing a little bit of mobility though.

2. Quicky

Quicky Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Wherever I May Roam
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Gone:
    Milicevic
    Caceres

Possibly Gone:
    Patafta
    Love (Dead meat)

Picked Up:
    Celeski
    Elasi
    Pondeljak

Possible inclusions:
    Moore

Unlikely:
    Musialik

3. Glory08

Glory08 Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Perth, Australia
    Pondeljak does discount Musialik move too. Though it seems Musialik will be staying with the Jets anyway. Bridge seems to be atleast.

Can't believe actually how stacked Melbourne's midfield may once again turn out. Yeah they've lost a couple, but the late season acquisition of Ward and now Pondeljak. Combined with Brebner, Broxham, Hernandez and others, they surely need no more central midfielders.

But yeah need some mobility. I guess they might still recruit another left sided mid/att guy? Especially as both Caceras and Kaz could play that side.

4. slask

slask New Member

Dec 22, 2005
    So as i said earlier the moves are comming together.

Tommy P (I love this signing we got heim on the cheap side and is a better player than caseras, can play CM wide and pinch a few as a striker.

Ward as predicted signed (still no word on clause?)

Still to come

Morre (will be confirmed soon if betetr options do not work out), Main spot is as a striker but has been used on both wings and CM at QPR in the past

Kaz- all depends on Benfica?

5. RED STRIPE MAGIC

Oct 20, 2006
    Melbourne
    http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/injuries-rock-victorys-asian-prospects-107463/

Injuries rock Victory's Asian prospects

Melbourne Victory's upcoming AFC Champions League campaign has been struck a double blow, with Grant Brebner and Carlos Hernandez both sidelined by injury.

Scottish midfielder Brebner will miss all six of the Victory's group matches, after failing to recover from a groin injury that interrupted his A-League season.

“Grant Brebner has been making great progress, in fact he’s progress is so good that we won’t be using him during the Group Stage of the AFC Champions League to make sure he’s 100 per cent for the A-League 2008/09 season,” Melbourne coach Ernie Merrick explained in a club statement.

Attacking midfielder Hernandez, who injured his knee in training, will miss the club's first three games with the Victory hopeful that he will return for the April 23 encounter at J-League champions Gamba Osaka.

"He's strained his medial ligament and the scans show that it's probably a six week injury, so he should be available for our fourth match in the AFC Champions League," Merrick added.

“It was just one of those training incidents with no-one near him,” Merrick said. “He turned and his foot got stuck and twisted his knee."

Late-season recruit Nick Ward should be available for the entire tournament, after coming back from groin surgery while Brebner's withdrawal may open up a spot for Tom Pondeljak - who was recruited from Central Coast Mariners earlier this week

The Victory's opening ACL match is at Telstra Dome on March 12, against South Korea's Chunnam Dragons, with the last of their group games on May 21.

i can see kaz with a very big smile on his face right about now.

6. golazo mvfc

golazo mvfc New Member

Jun 2, 2007
    Melbourne.
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Sad news :( but atleast it gives Kaz a chance.

7. Quicky

Quicky Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Wherever I May Roam
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Hernandez will be the big loss there. You've gotta worry about Brebner too this sort of groin injury has gotta be osteitus pubis which is really tricky to get over.

It should mean that kaz gets to start 3 ACL matches too!! :) The only thing that I can see stopping it would be if Pondeljak is cleared to play for whatever reason.

Anyway I think we'll look something like this for the first ACL match:

--------------------Theoklitos---------------
    -----Vasilevski---Vargas----Ryall---Piorkowski--
    ---------------------Muscat------------------
    ---------Patafta---------------Caceres-------
    ---------------------Ward--------------------
    -------------Thompson----Allsopp-------------

8. Iaco

Iaco Member

Apr 1, 2006
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Defence doesnt look to strong.

9. Quicky

Quicky Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Wherever I May Roam
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Well this is pretty bad news. I hope we manage to keep him, I really fancy him to do well if he stays fit.

10. Quicky

Quicky Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Wherever I May Roam
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Maybe this then.

--------------------Theoklitos---------------
    -------Ryall-----Vargas----Muscat---Piorkowski--
    ---------------------Broxham------------------
    ---------Patafta---------------Caceres-------
    ---------------------Ward--------------------
    -------------Thompson----Allsopp-------------

Thats if we still have Piorkowski anyway!! :rolleyes:

11. Quicky

Quicky Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Wherever I May Roam
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Heres the first news about our new youth team:

For the full article:

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23326481-2883,00.html

12. RED STRIPE MAGIC

Oct 20, 2006
    Melbourne
    yea to bad his only 11 years old. his still shy of 5 years to play in the youth league. remember you have to be 16 years old. by the time he hits 16 his going to be in europe anyway. I think they should make it at 15 years of age unless there is a fifa rule which they must follow.

13. RED STRIPE MAGIC

Oct 20, 2006
    Melbourne
    http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/71653,melbourne-seal-musialik-deal.aspx

Melbourne seal Musialik deal [RUMOUR]

Melbourne have completed the prize signing of Stuart Musialik. The player is to pen a deal a 2 year deal worth AU$490,000 a season.

we might hear something in a couple of days time hopefuklly. great signing if true however i dont think he is going to be paid 490,000 a season. thats more then an AFL player.

14. Glory08

Glory08 Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Perth, Australia
    Yeah it should be 1 year lower. But then, the minimum is 16 as of January 1st, so just turned 16. That's pretty low as it is.

But all the best talent tend to get their senior starts at 15. Nick Carle made his NSL debut, and score a goal I think, when he was only 15. Harry Kewell left NSWIS for Leeds United when he was 15, Christian Vieri was 14/15 when he left, and so on.

But yeah 16 is pretty good. Many of the young guys leave between 15-17 years old. This is around the age range for the Joeys squads. This is when most those players from the state institutes, Westfields Sports School etc.. leave.

BTW I'm hoping you guys don't sign Musialik. What's the point in him moving there? Look at Kaz. Broxham already plays a similar position as Musialik I think and Melbourne also have Brebner and Muscat who tend to hold down the Defensive Midfielder role/s, for the team. And when it comes to midfielders generally, I can't think of an A-League side with more depth, when it comes to midfielders. Pondeljak, Ward, Hernandez, Brebner, Celeski, maybe Kaz? It's a veritable midfield grouping of A-League All-stars and not all those lot are going to get first team football, as we saw with Kaz this season past.

He's better off, football wise, either staying at Newcastle, playing under a top A-League coach like van Egmond, or just making the move overseas.

But then, maybe the intra-squad competition at Melbourne may help his progression as a player? If he can break through and play regular first team at Melbourne, then he can certainly make it in Europe, break through for first team in a decent league there.

15. Iaco

Iaco Member

Apr 1, 2006
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Whos pumped for the ACL tomorrow cant wait.

16. Quicky

Quicky Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Wherever I May Roam
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    2-0 to the Victory!!! Stoked!!! Shattered i couldn't watch it live just listen on SEN. Celeski seemed to play really well!! Good pick up maybe. Disappointed tho that Kaz didn't start. Chunnam seemed to be pretty sh!t house for the most part.

17. Iaco

Iaco Member

Apr 1, 2006
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Great start, we can only improve from here.

18. RED STRIPE MAGIC

Oct 20, 2006
    Melbourne
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fifa.com have a vote on who will be AFC Champions League winners, and the Victory are on it! Go for it lads.....

19. Glory08

Glory08 Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Perth, Australia
    Well done Victory. Shame Kaz didn't start. Hopes aren't high for him starting in the final 2 games aswell, given the presence of Celeski, who seems to have just slot into the void left by Carlos.

20. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    As a keen follower of Thai football and particulary Chonburi, i'm interested to see your views on the recent game which Chonburi won 3-1.

I haven't seen any of the action, but was the result deserved?

21. Wezza

Wezza Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    ^^
    I didn't see the first half, so i can't comment on that. The second half i'd say Melbourne were on top. They got a goal early on & controlled (not dominated) the game until that wonder goal by Baga. (Amazing strike btw!) It was fairly even after that, Melbourne were pushing hard for the equaliser then they got found short on the break in injury time when Baga slotted home the second. Well done to Chonburi!! I'd like to see Baga, Fabiano & the Thai fella who got red carded in the A-League.

22. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Highlights from last nights game for those who are interested

[youtube]8x8Eb3l4Pzg[/youtube]

Note: This was not upped by me. All credit to JayFCAK47.

23. RED STRIPE MAGIC

Oct 20, 2006
    Melbourne
    take off the thais overseas players and we would of won. i guess that why they are they because the thai dont know how to attack

24. Bay23

Bay23 New Member

Oct 19, 2006
    Sydney
    Melbourne proved they aren't up to the next level after the crap I forced myself to witness last night. What happened to the 1000 or so of you that were supposed to be going to Bangkok?

25. Wezza

Wezza Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    At the end of the day, Chonburi won fair & square. You can't begrudge them that!