Official Melbourne City Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Australian A-League' started by SoundersBeliever, May 14, 2009.

1. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Re: The Melbourne 2 Thread

-----------Bolton?
    --------Colosimo?-----------Heffernan
    -------Skoko--Sarkies-Thompson
    -----------------------Hoffman

Good start so far.

2. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Does the A-League do an expansion draft?

3. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Don't do drafts of any kind.

4. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  5. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  6. Sydneyartist

Sydneyartist New Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Sydney
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Aloisi?

please no.

7. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    But the answer is yes

-----------------Bolton
    Thompson--Colosimo?--?????--Heffernan?
    -------Sarkies----Skoko----???
    ---Worm--------Aloisi------Hoffman

8. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't mind supporting the women's team if they have one ready for the W-League.

9. Grinners89

Grinners89 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

The main reason why that name wasn't considered is because they don't just want to attract people from the city of Melbourne.

They were always going to go with red or similar colours given the Victory are blue and white.

The logo, well...crap. They should take a look at some of the older clubs in the world and see that most of those are simply the title of club and a simple logo/bird et al. Not difficult.

10. Sydneyartist

Sydneyartist New Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Sydney
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    no its not, that was an SBS ******** up, as if he would go from 1.5 million a year down to 120 k a year.
    Finishing at home in Adelaide or a renewed contract from Sydney hopefully, will see out John in his last two years of a great career.
    Id like to see him split it, one more year at Sydney, then finish his last season at home in Adelaide where he came from.
    He also knocked back an offer from the nux.

11. Sydneyartist

Sydneyartist New Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Sydney
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Yeah agree with the logo, but who knows if they tweak it a bit.
    The colours sound good, probably be a Sunderland look jersey, red socks, white pattern of some kind on them. Hopefully they will go with black shorts, because red or white shorts will look pretty damn gay.
    I dont think city would have mattered, after all Melbourne is a city, not just its CBD central area, its suburbs are all part of the name too.
    City would have drawn fans in from all over the place, and I hope Heart does the same.
    AFL has an unhealthy strangle on that state, more sports like football, League and Union getting supporters down there, can only be good to balance up the tard boggerball obsessed mentality.

12. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Eh, too early to tell wether SBS's source is any good at this stage - clubs and players deny all kinds of stuff that ends up happening anyway. If we get SvD then Aloisi is gone - keeping him inside the cap at that point would mean ditching Kisel at a minimum.

13. Sydneyartist

Sydneyartist New Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Sydney
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I d prefer Alosi, he is scoring every game now, and I dont think the SBS story is true, they heard a rumour and didnt bother to source it properly.
    Theres no way Alosi would just take 120 k a year for 2 years after being on 1.5 mill a season, if there was such an offer he would have laughed it off the phone.
    Its more likely hes deciding between a renewed offer from Sydney, and an offer from Adelaide.
    I have a strong feeling he will take the Reds one.

14. MelbHeartLady

MelbHeartLady New Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Hi All,

Just joined the forum.. im hopeful to rack the brains of you all..

Firstly not sure if it has been mentioned but there is a 'unoffical' fan forum up and running
    www.melbheartfc.net

here we are already discussing logos, chants, equipment among other things for the active support of Melbourne Heart.

also, the Melbournne Heart Supporters Assosication has been introduced- basically as a middleman for Heart supporters to the club.

I am a member of that group as a representative of the women who support Melbourne Heart. I am trying to gather as much inforamtion as i can from the community in general as to what people (not just women) want to see us doing in our role. What do you want to see the club doing for the supporters? What kind of functions do you want/would you attend?
    More importantly for my position- and please all feedback would be helpful-

How can we - Football fans encourage more active female support? what issues do you see as detering women from the football? Do you know any females that actively follow the football? what do they want in a women supporters group? Again any ideas are much appricated.

I am sorry for the 20 questions.. but i want to do are everything I can to make this a successful presentation to the Club.
    The MHFCSA is committed to representing the supporters in any way we can. What better way to gather the inforamtion then the forum where people want the best for the code aswell.

Look forward to hearing some of you ideas/thoughts

15. Sydneyartist

Sydneyartist New Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Sydney
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    womens supporter group?
    That sounds a bit sexist.

16. MelbHeartLady

MelbHeartLady New Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Its not meant to be sexist at all. Didnt mean for it to come across that way.

The supporters group will represent all members who would like to be involved.
    The best way i know how to describe it is to say you have the Terrace group and under that umbrella falls all the smaller supporter groups wihtin that.

Im asking if you had a group available to represent your wants to the club (as a supporter- be that appreal, equipment, request of functions) what woulf you request.
    From that how do we go about getting women involved in the supporter base?

17. Bass0r

Bass0r Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Tokyo/N. Velidhoo
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Have you reviewed any pros and cons of other supporter groups across the country?

It might be a good idea to do that, if you haven't, but if you have, what were your findings, and do you plan on implementing any of those ideas to your own group?

18. Sydneyartist

Sydneyartist New Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Sydney
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    It is but, you cant really have womens supporters groups, or women only groups clubs etc for anything because whether you agree or not it's blatantly sexist. As is having in Canberra a minister for women, and not one for men is incredibly sexist too.
    Im not having a shot at you personally about this of course, Im just abit fed up of seeing this double standard today in western countrys, and it leaves modern women as in feminists with even less integrity or credibility in peoples eyes, when they continue to cry sexism at mens only groups, and then set up womens only groups at the same time.

19. Sydneyartist

Sydneyartist New Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Sydney
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Welcome to the forum anyway, its a pretty good site to discuss football etc

20. MelbHeartLady

MelbHeartLady New Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    so your advice would be rather the having a womens supporters group that functions under the umbrella of the supporter group as whole- just have women there. 1 group. so no youth supporters group either?

so feedback is one large group as is?

feedback is feedback and i can agree with you. I would rather just like to be apart of it all. If anything i would be happy to have a women appreal line of clothing, so i can attand a game wearing my club colors and not look like im swimning in my top! Its also nice to feel like your not in the 'boys' domain.

Bass0r- i have sent an emil to another board member will will have the information you have requested :) ill post it for you as soon as i can.

21. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't mind a womens group as I think its actually needed esp in male dominated sports.

IMO it can be very intimidating for the casual woman fan to get into soccer because its usually "the guys" at the office or at school who talk about it. So if the womans group can be there to foster the initial interest then more power to it.

I am new to Melbourne and not really 100% a Victory fan so what does Heart bring to the table to make me switch allegiances?

22. Bass0r

Bass0r Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Tokyo/N. Velidhoo
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    That's the most ideal scenario for a new club. Best to implement that early, if you can.
    Having multiple groups, or groups inside of groups, makes it hard to get the ball rolling, and/or can cause problems and arguments about what happens at the games (chants, banners, et al).

I don't see why there should be a separate supporter group for the youth games. Why can't it be the same group? Same applies to a womens team. If a supporter group is supporting a club, why wouldn't it be supporting every team from the club?

Also, I look forward to the answer to my question. Will be interesting to see what you've looked at, and the outcome. Could also help anyone here who is part of another team's supporter group, as well.

23. Sydneyartist

Sydneyartist New Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Sydney
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Oh if you mean a womans supporter group for the womens team yeah sure thats ok, I dont have a problem with that, as long as it was open to men as well to be part of it somehow if they needed to be, like husbands etc
    I think there already is a womans line of clothes for just about all sports clubs these days.
    The boys domain as you put it, is hardly a fair comment, theres nothing at all stopping females being a part of it, things can get rough and boistrous sometimes, but it would get quite boring if it didnt, football supporters by and large arent timid head nodding metrosexuals, its how real men and boys let off steam and have fun, and if things get a bit too wild sometimes, just move out of the area until it calms down.

24. MelbHeartLady

MelbHeartLady New Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Just want to claify, this supporters group is for the mens team, but its something that should be looked at in more depth.
    Numbers need to get behind the code in the women division. The question needs to be asked why the the same sport is getting played under the same team division and nobody is in the stands.. i realise that happens in all sports- and really thats a massive debate that im not ready to tackle!
    At the moment all my spare time is going towards this supporters association, and this proposal.

the question is focusing on sydneyartist is how do we encourage women to get in to the game? How can we get them involved?
    For the record- i dont mind the terrace getting to 'rowdy' but im one of 10 girls there. I didnt attend match to begin with.. my partner dragged me because he knew i would love the atmosphere.

Bass0r- interview with a melb heart fan has just been done on 442. you might be keen on reading it.
    i have been told to not give to much away, but what i will say is the demand for a supporters base is high. people really want to have a connection with the club. a input to the club. recognition for travel, and chants and thoughts.
    there is always going to be Ultras. there is always going to be fans that go it alone and more power to them! after all its about supporting the club.
    the main issue (at least for me) is growing the code in australia. introducing it to more people. Supporter having a positive experience every game - everytime.

25. Sydneyartist

Sydneyartist New Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Sydney
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I dont think theres a need for it tbh.