Official Jean-Baptiste Pierazzi to the Quakes

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by wfisher, Jan 3, 2014.

1. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    Earthquakes near deal with French star - Mercury News

2. Quakesss

Quakesss Member+

Nov 16, 2013
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yah, for revenue. The club would have moved if we couldnt make a new stadium. The one good thing he has done is invest alot the the city of San Jose.

Beerking repped this.
  3. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously, that's not enough.

4. JohnWP

JohnWP Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Monterey, CA
    Haven't read the whole thread so forgive if I'm repeating what someone else said, but I have read enough to see that a lot of my fellow Quakes fans are upset over the position our new acquisition plays. I'm pretty excited about Pierazzi. This is a solid professional from a high-level league. He may not be the attacking player we are hoping for, but when you get a chance, in MLS, to sign a player of that caliber, you do it. Period. If he wants to come play for the San Jose Earthquakes . . . Yes, please and thank you.

If there are no further attack minded signings forthcoming before the start of training camp, I'll be upset about THAT. But there's no way I'm troubled by the acquisition of a guy under 30 who has been captaining a Ligue 1 side.

5. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My thoughts exactly. Plus he might give us a chance to run a diamond midfield (pending a CAM acquisition), b/c I don't think Cronin has the chops to do the job...and I'm a Cronin fan.

Quakesss repped this.
  6. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have prefer they spent 50 million and had a proper supporters terrace.

ColinMcCarthy and Quakesss repped this.
  7. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not touching that with a 10 foot pole. :(

8. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear there is a shop in south San Jose that has 11' poles for anything you would not want to touch with a 10' pole.

markmcf8 repped this.
  9. blurryblue

blurryblue Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I don't think he gives us a solid chance to run a diamond 4-4-2, that requires a holding mid who is a deep-lying playmaker whereas Pierazzi is more of a roaming destroyer who links up with short passes in attack (that's why he doesn't have assists). The only MLS team that has been successful with the diamond is RSL and it's mostly on account of Beckerman.

alexiskool1991 repped this.
  10. Quakesss

Quakesss Member+

Nov 16, 2013
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Diamond also relies on a reliable DMid, Perazzi is more reliable on Defense then Cronin.

11. blurryblue

blurryblue Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I don't know about "reliable" ... Pierazzi looks to have about the same speed as Cronin, is bigger and taller and more aggressive, and probably can support and link up better. On the other hand, I assume Cronin has a better shot. But neither of them are particularly good at making incisive long range passes, which is a key component of a (successful) diamond 4-4-2.

12. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    My thoughts exactly.

13. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He should definitely be an upgrade over Baca... but that's not saying much.. and what we need is some offense. It's a real head-scratcher at this point. Along with selling off our young defenders, it's like Doyle repeatedly goes after these older guys. You can't keep adding 28-30 year olds to your squad because you end up having to rebuild everything every couple of years.

Beerking and markmcf8 repped this.
  14. Quakesss

Quakesss Member+

Nov 16, 2013
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Salary Cap is a bitch. If only Hernandez and Gordon were making 75k..

15. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm embarrassed that that made me laugh.

16. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That joke is older than I am, and almost as dumb, and it's still funny.

17. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget to tip your waitress...

I got it from a 1950s Mad Magazine. :p (Paraphrased of course... The magazine had it as a window ad for a hardware store and it just said people you wouldn't want to touch...)

Not implying you are that old of course... Only G is that old ;)

18. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    And I have zero faith in Doyle to fill our glaring omissions correctly. :(

19. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not a question of "has he" it's a question of "can he." I'd love to find out, and not in that shoehorn kinda way. Average technical ability and vision in Ligue 1 might translate to above average in MLS. Case in point, Simon is a below average EPL player, average Championship player, but the dude is one hell of an MLS player.

I think you'll be surprised about his long range passing.

20. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Owning a team and operating the team are two different things. It isn't Wolff's responsibility to know the names of the players. Would it be nice if he did? Sure. The owners' job is to hire the right people to operate the team successfully. You can make the argument Doyle was not a good hire and that would be Fisher and Wolff's issue, but if you're going to criticize the owners, at least do it honestly.

And again, I don't know how many times building a stadium for the team has to come up, but would a total absentee owner bother building a stadium and come down to the games in person the way Wolff does? There are things to criticize about the team, but so many of the criticisms are very lazy and are more akin to whining about funds than trying to actually think constructively about how the team could be better. More money does not instantly make a team better.

21. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah, I was saying a similar kind of thing. So he's a d-mid in a league that arguably has on average better quality attacking players than MLS I would guess. So maybe he "moves up" a bit in terms of where he plays and where he has an impact. I doubt that he'd be an attacking mid, but he may play more of a 2-way role, similar to Cronin, in which case, (if he pairs with Cronin), we'd be back to dueling #8's.

22. Quakesss

Quakesss Member+

Nov 16, 2013
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. Look how involved Seattle and Portland owners are. They talk to the fans. Look at how successful those clubs are.

23. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seattle, for all of it's support and big spending, managed 1 more point than us in 2013.

Though that 1 point did get them into the playoffs.

24. acreach1

acreach1 Member

Feb 19, 2007
    I've spoken to Lew lots of times at games...

25. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JB wore the #8 jersey which signifies that he is more a box-to-box central midfielder. the youtube video from 2013 shows that he is very active and mobile (e.g., press higher up the pitch, making forward runs, track back defensively). I think we got ourselves a bonafide central midfielder that can play box-to-box #8. My only concern is if when Wondo will change his jersey number to either #10 or #9.