Official Gold Coast United Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Australian A-League' started by el-capitano, Sep 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    He's 29, they're offering twice what Palmer the Hutt can with more first team football than he'd likely get in Europe. Pretty much the right move.

2. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    ... but he doesn't think so after all.

3. cmedina1983

cmedina1983 New Member

Nov 14, 2008
    California
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    The wife knocked some sense into him.

Good on you, lass.

4. Bass0r

Bass0r Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Tokyo/N. Velidhoo
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    It's weird, this one.

The transfer was made, the money was exchanged, yet the Gold Coast held onto the transfer certificate. It's hard to know what can happen, since I can't think of any similar scenario.

Obviously he still has everything at the Gold Coast, so it's clear that he'll go back there. But it'd be interesting if there was some kind of fine print that meant he could go to another A-League club as a technical "free agent."

5. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    We'd snap him up if he wasn't Aussie in the eyes of the A-League Transfer Market.

also:

6. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    What a clusterf**k

Hardcore Bukkake Jesus. That buzzing noise you can hear is the Hutt ringing every lawyer this side of the equator.

7. Bass0r

Bass0r Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Tokyo/N. Velidhoo
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    No surprises there.

Everything about it has seemed iffy since the start. Smeltz family must be a group of drama queens.

I'd be seriously annoyed if I were the Shandong coach, or even a fan, though. Knowing we're paying $1m for a year with a player who doesn't actually want to play for us.

8. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Jabba steps in:

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1014725/Palmer-steps-in-for-Smeltz

9. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Man that's some impressive irony: the reason Jabba is in the football biz is to improve his schmoozing capacity with Chinese magnates - but now he's got to use his business clout to fix up a footballing mess...

10. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    http://www.smh.com.au/sport/a-leagu...at-says-goldplated-culina-20100802-113ey.html

11. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    When Jase says 'stable', bear in mind he is coached by [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR3DV1MOp1U"]this man[/ame].

12. William Penn

William Penn Member+

Jul 2, 2010
    Bethlehem
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My Australian friend is a Gold Coast United fanatic, so I tentatively support them. I'll probably watch their season opener versus Brisbane online, if the timezone difference isn't too great. I can't wait til I get FIFA 10 (my first soccer game since FIFA 2006) so I can play through the A-League.

13. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    It's Groundhog Daaaaaaaaaay!

Does anyone think they'll be in the league next season?

14. epris

epris Member

May 20, 2007
    Sydney
    hope not.... take the licence and give it to..... hmmmmm

15. Kinnoutou

Kinnoutou New Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Gold Coast, AUS
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I don't know what the club expects with their 'do nothing' approach to improving their crowds. There is no radio advertising, TV advertising (maybe not possible at the moment) etc. Before I left, you never heard of players heading out to the malls or schools or anything like that yet Titans players were everywhere, the Titans always had radio ads and for big crunch games, TV ads. Palmer & Mensink seem to have the idea that they can try and win everything or something and the crowds will come or ride off World Cup hype when that isn't it at all. It is really sad as fickle as the Gold Coast public can be, in letters to the editor and stuff to the Bulletin many people have stated that they would like to get behind the team and stuff but the way Palmer & Mensink have managed it has been atrocious and they can't do it.

As sad as it would be, maybe losing the license would be a good thing and maybe re-apply on next expansion if there is one with a different group (ie like the old Galaxy bid).

16. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    http://www.tribalfootball.com/djite-and-porter-will-get-us-out-rut-–-gold-coast’s-caravella-1079641

17. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    The way Gold Coast are going financially especially in regards to there attendances, I don't think they will be around next season

18. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the plus side, their advertising costs must be next to nil since they aren't doing any print, tv, or radio ads, or player appearances, etc. ;)

19. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you guys really think Gold Coast might fold/move??? When? That would suck!

20. RickChelsea

RickChelsea Member

Sep 28, 2008
    sidknee
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mozambique
    To be honest, folding would be the best thing for them. Give the license to Canberra and move on. "Gold Coast United" has already damaged it's own rep way too much, no locals will ever be interested in it now after all the debacles(Not that they were interested in the first place).

The A-League can go back to the Gold Coast after a few years and try to start up something new, because the current franchise is an accident waiting to happen really. It's not "could" GCU fold anymore...it's "when" are they folding to be honest.

21. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    http://www.smh.com.au/sport/a-leagu...p-gates-again-this-season-20101216-18zl7.html

22. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Those last two paragraphs are unbelievable. Why did they give this ham creature a football licence?

23. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    For exactly what he's saying- MONEY. ;)

24. RickChelsea

RickChelsea Member

Sep 28, 2008
    sidknee
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mozambique
  25. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2010/12/20/277751_gold-coast-soccer.html