Official Asian Cup 2015 Thread

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Whispered11, Feb 6, 2013.

1. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Well, Japan has won their Asian Cup group.

Group D - Japan, Jordan, Iraq, 2014 AFC Challenge Cup winner

2. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    You guys think some of the J-league players should be given a try in the group stages before using the first team for the knock out stages? Hope to see Yamashita, Ogihara, Haraguchi and Usami given a try.

3. Radu Razvan

Radu Razvan Member+

Mar 1, 2013
    Bucharest, Romania
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    Gordon, you look to forward...before that it's the WC

4. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Meeting Japan again.. I love our group :D I think Japan will end up first and the runners up goes between Jordan and Iraq.

5. Keren

Keren Member+

Feb 15, 2013
    France
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Rather good. We dominated easily a group with Jordan and Iraq last year. My preference was to face to Saudi Arabia (they did well during qualifiers). Maybe in quarter finals ?

In this group, we'll have to be serious against Iraq and Jordan, but the game against AFC Challenge Cup winner promises to be useless... :confused:

It would be a fail to not finish top of the group. Don't be hypocrite. There will be a battle between Jordan and Iraq for the second place. I prefer Iraq but if they are disorganized as in WC qualifiers...

6. c shima

c shima Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Not 100% we'll top the group, but probably ~90%. Jordan and Iraq have the potential to screw us if we're not careful (remember we tied Jordan in the 2011 tournament and lost to them in WCQ) but our chances look good.

The Challenge Cup finalists, shockingly, look like a pretty sorry bunch. I'd bet on the Philippines coming through. Oddly enough, the Challenge Cup's being hosted in the Maldives; they can't possibly have enough space for more than a couple stadiums.

7. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Haha, I'm a fan of these small east asian teams.
    I put my bet on Myanmar, but they have a "tough" group with Palestines and host Maldives.

I hope so, especially since it would mean getting the 2nd team from group C

8. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    it's not possible. You can't change the members between the group stages and the knock out ones.
    So before that has any chance to happen, they have to actually earn a spot in the team.
    Of course, against the AFC Challenge winners there will be a turnover.

9. GunnerTNB

GunnerTNB Member+

Apr 4, 2011
    São Paulo
    Club:
    Botafogo Rio Janeiro
    So it is possible to repeat the same path as 2011 in the knockout stages. Qatar in QF, Korea in SF and Australia in the final.

10. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    No more Australia in a final match please. I can't stand them as an "asian team", they don't deserve to win the Asian Cup imo (they are simply off-topic :p).

I wanna a final against SK. The best match and at the same time the toughest/hardest and eventually the best possible enjoyed victory.

About AFC Challenge Cup, thai footballers are allowed to use muay thai moves? If so I will cheer for them! :D

scotch17 repped this.
  11. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    About Asian Cup, are Japanese/Korean/Chinese players allowed to use judo/taekwondo/kungfu moves?

12. TODOROKI_11

TODOROKI_11 Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Club:
    Gamba Osaka
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

scotch17 and Dax repped this.
  13. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  14. Whispered11

Whispered11 Member+

U.C. Sampdoria
    Japan
    Oct 4, 2011
    Munich, Germany
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I'm rooting for some team who has never been to AFC Cup.
    So no Turkmenistan or Laos.

Palestine would be amazing. Or Philippines.

TODOROKI_11 and Samurai Warrior repped this.
  15. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Wut? AFC Cup is a competition for teams. I'm not sure if you meant the Asian Cup, but I really don't think Laos has ever played an Asian Cup? :eek:
    This is even the first time they qualify to the AFC Challenge one, so...

Btw, I remember that your club has or had a laotian player in their youth ranks.
    edit: oh and their coach is japanese

16. TODOROKI_11

TODOROKI_11 Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Club:
    Gamba Osaka
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Palestine would be immense.

17. Whispered11

Whispered11 Member+

U.C. Sampdoria
    Japan
    Oct 4, 2011
    Munich, Germany
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    They were runners-up as Burma in 1968. Sorry, it was Myanmar!

But still... nah, I prefer Palestine.

18. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Palestine is probably the team who is most affected by the foreigners problem. Their best players play abroad, I think there is one on the swedish first division. I'm not sure if the Challenge CUP is a FIFA "official competition" - I mean, I don't think you're forced to release players for this competition - so it hurts them in the end.

19. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Iran is not really rivals with any of those teams.
    Our regional arch-rival is Saudi Arabia. We also have a football rivalry with South Korea.

20. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Aren't Iraq and Iran huge rivals outside of football?

21. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Member

Mar 27, 2013
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Not really. They're pretty much within our sphere of influence after Saddam was deposed.

22. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    While KSA is your arch-rival, I do remember quite a few of Iran fans during 2010 WCQs expressing strong dislike for other nations that fall within KSA's sphere of influence. I don't remember exact circumstances, but apparently there have been allegations from Iranians that several of these teams have rolled over so that KSA could qualify for WC in the past.
    Specifically there was some instance of KSA winning by a highly improbable 5 or 6-goal margin against UAE or Bahrain in one case that got them through ahead of Iran on goal difference ?

23. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    Is that the sentiments in Iran with the Iranians regarding a rivalry with the Koreans? How did they react to the KNT's behaviour after the match in which you guys won and qualified? How do they view Japan?

24. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    In the 70's, and 80's...now Iraq is pretty much a harmless little brother to Iran, and is on the same page as Iran on pretty much all the regional issues and conflicts etc. Iran's regional arch-rival in everything including football is Saudi Arabia. Middle East is pretty much in a cold war with Iran and its allies on one side and Saudi Arabia and its allies on the other side. We also have a footballing rivalry with South Korea pretty much due the fact that we seem to meet them in every AFC competition and a certain level of hate has developed between the die-hard fans, the players and the coaches over the years. With Japan though, we have no rivalry since we rarely meet each other in AFC.