OFFICIAL: Africans Abroad Thread

Discussion in 'Africa' started by soccer krazy, Nov 3, 2006.

1. encorelui2

encorelui2 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Unak78 repped this.
  2. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Didn't want to create a new thread. US youth national with Nigerian ties Abuchi Obinwa failed his MRI scan for the U17 World Cup (where he was supposed to play for Nigeria).

Problem is that the boy was born in the US with an American birth record and you can see him grow year after year in American youth sides. Despite failing the test everyone is pretty much convinced that Obinwa is as old as he says he is (16), which poses a huge question as to the accuracy of MRI tests.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24282432
    [​IMG]

http://owhentheyanks.com/2013/08/15/top-prospect-97-abuchi-obinwa/

3. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    He's not a US Youth National if he's going to play for Nigeria now :D

lol but on a serious note.. is this the first failed MRI scan at this level???

4. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    He failed the Nigeria MRI scan and got dropped from the team. Now he's been picked up by the USA youth team...

No, but its the first one I know of which brings about serious doubts regarding MRI testing.

5. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Did they show Nigeria his birth certificates.. would be an invalid reason to drop a kid because of a misfire on the MRI test.

honestly idk what to say regarding how to make an MRI test more valid... I mean, unless theres a better way of doing this then I don't see a better way than MRI scans, gotta question how many african players failed it wrongfully and teams didn't know it.

6. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Well... since MRI testing is used on players at the U17 World Championship it wouldn't be responsible of Nigeria to take him and risk losing the player.

Objectively speaking - why should FIFA turn a blind eye just because the kid was born in America? You can't have separate rules depending on where you were born.

Unak78 repped this.
  7. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Does an American kid with a perfectly legal and valid birth certificate deserve to be submitted to a MRI scan?? I don't think he can falsify documents and freely play in the States without being caught unlike in Africa.

anywho the point is.. The kid proved that MRI scans are flawed and thus should be let back onto the squad because clearly he's not overage.

8. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
  9. Sunset

Sunset Member

Oct 29, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Efe Ambrose vs Ac Milan :thumbsup:

10. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Kid looks just like my nephew, it's scary...

11. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Hopefully PSG signs that kid full-time to their academy. He's pretty good for his age right now.

12. Englishsoccer

Englishsoccer New Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
  13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unak78 repped this.
  14. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
  15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ugh, no. Or at least, not until he can figure out how to shoot at something that isn't the post or the goalkeeper.

16. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
  17. interlive

interlive New Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Club:
    3 de Febrero
    Hi there! We are looking for scouts in Africa. We would offer nice terms of cooperation. If You follow any football club please contact us!

18. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    MRI scans are about as valid medically as polygraphs which is to say, not at all. We've attempted to create scientific means of validating things based off of characteristics which are, by nature, variable from person to person. Some peoples growth plates close when they're 16 and some not until they're nearly 20.

However they won't do away with the testing because they acknowledge that the test will be unfair to, as they put it, about 1% of those tested. They put it at an age at which false positives would be limited; it's truly geared towards catching players who are pretty much blatantly over-age. Like the polygraph, it's a deterrent, and they're perfectly willing to screw over a few kids in order to catch the rest. It sucks.

19. Sunset

Sunset Member

Oct 29, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Young Michael Olaitan Scored his first League Goal for Olimpiacos :D

20. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    #771 Unak78, Dec 1, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
    It's looking good for Kelechi Iheanacho to join Man City, which probably isn't a good thing when you think about it.
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-city-win-kelechi-iheanacho-2853503
    http://www.tribalfootball.com/artic...-agent-says-all-will-soon-be-revealed-3993461
    http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892...ter-city-to-sign-nigerian-wonderkid-iheanacho

I love how he plays; he is so confident! I just hope that English football doesn't bleed that out of him. If PSG or Monaco were in any way interesting in building youth I would be more hopeful to see him in France where African players are developed the best, but few French clubs can afford to compete for the best youth prospects that aren't flying under the radar.

The U-17 World Cup performance by Nigeria is the reason that I say that we shouldn't be throwing out a bunch of older players who won't be there in 2018 nor help us win a WC in 2014. We aren't going to win a World Cup next year, accept it and move on. Best to get players out there who will be there when Kelechi Iheanacho and others mature and join the senior side. We don't have enough world class playmakers to win yet. Nigeria's next "Golden Generation" might come online in 2018. That's gotta be the target. We have to learn to be patient, plan long-term and stick to the plan. Get the current group some success and work in young players who might help us in 2018. Don't worry about the Obafemi Martins of the world, they had their chance. Their era is over.

chiva_guero repped this.
  21. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Unak78 repped this.
  22. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Happy to hear that he might get a call-up. We can always use more depth and I like the fact that Keshi is getting the youngsters experience. Not happy to see him going to England. We do not need to have our young players developing their style in England but, that's where the money is. France would be preferable.

I'm actually hoping that the work permit falls through, but I'm wondering why that's an issue. Nigeria is well within the top 75 FIFA ranked nations. I'm assuming it's bc he's not a member of the senior team and perhaps that's part of the reason why Keshi is considering calling him up.

23. freeman1

freeman1 Member

Sep 19, 2013
    Oslo
    Does that mean that he won't participate in the CHAN tournament coming up in January?

As far as the work permit, he has to according to the rules:
    (1) they have played for their country in at least 75% of its competitive A team matches in the two years preceding the application; and

(2) the player’s country must be at or above 70th place in the official FIFA world rankings.

Unak78 repped this.
  24. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Not sure how the CHAN thing works...

There is an 'exceptional talent' clause, under which they are trying to get the permit.