Official 2014 World Cup Thread

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Whispered11, Sep 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whispered11

Whispered11 Member+

U.C. Sampdoria
    Japan
    Oct 4, 2011
    Munich, Germany
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I think after the WC he'll retire. Six months after the WC, there's the Asian Cup and a successor needs to be found.

2. c shima

c shima Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Nadeshiko jerseys hopefully??

3. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    #28 Dax, Oct 11, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
    One round left for European teams:
    Group A is done. Belgium is qualified to the world cup with possibly their best campaign ever? (Not sure, but man, just one draw and no losses...). Croatia goes to playoffs.

Group B is more open than ever! Italy is qualified.
    Maths says that any team apart from little Malta can still qualify to the playoffs though. But the truth is that Armenia would have to beat - a draw wouldn't be enough - Italy... in Italy.
    Bulgaria plays at home against Czech Republic and Denmark, well, at home against Malta, so it's surely 3 points for them, which effectively cuts Czech Republic and Armenia out.
    If Bulgaria wins at home, they'll get through due to a better goal difference unless Denmark can pull off more than a 7-0 And Bulgaria wins just by one goal...

Group C has Germany qualified and Sweden to the playoffs thanks to today's victory against Austria.

Group D has the Netherlands qualified but it's still open: Hungary has just to beat little Andorra to go up to 17 points .
    Turkey plays at home against the Netherlands: if they really can pull off a win - a draw wouldn't be enough unless Hungary suicides - they have to watch out that Romania doesn't beat Estonia with more than 5 goal... which is unlikely though.
    Romania is in a good position overall: if they can beat Estonia and Turkey can't beat the Netherlands they're gone to the playoffs. A win is a must though.

Group E has Switzerland qualified thanks to today's away victory against Albania. Slovenia and Iceland can still make it. Iceland has never qualified to a world cup but they have tons (almost all the called up ones too?) of players that play in good clubs in European leagues now.
    They face quite the task though: they have to win away in Norway, which is already eliminated, but still... if they get a draw, then it depends on what Slovenia can do in Switzerland.
    If Slovenia draws, and Iceland loses, Slovenia advances due to GD. If Slovenia draws, and Iceland draws, Iceland goes through. If Slovenia wins and Iceland draws, Slovenia goes through. If both win Iceland goes through.

Group F is done. Russia is back at the World Cup since 2002 and Portugal will go to playoffs.

Group G is also done unless Bosnia fails to win in Lithuania. In that case Greece would go directly to the world cup and not to the playoffs.

Group H is done but if England can't win at home against Polonia - who is already out - Ukraine will go directly to the world cup and not to the playoffs.
    Group I is done, with Spain qualified to the World Cup and France to the playoffs unless, well, Spain manages to lose at home to Georgia... and France has to bag in some goals too

c shima repped this.
  4. Blue-San

Blue-San Member+

Jun 21, 2011
    Club:
    Kashima Antlers
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Yep

Btw Belgia has a beast of a team which was created basically in the last 5 years from the crazy amount of talents

Hazard - Chelsea
    Lukaku - Chelsea (loaned to Everton begging goals there)
    De Bruyne - Chelsea substitute
    Dembele - Tottenham
    Felaini - MU
    Witsel - Zenit
    Defour - Porto
    Mirallas - Everton
    Alderweid - Atletico Madrid (substitute)
    Vermalen, Vertongen, Kompany - Arsenal, Tottenham, Man City (2 of them captains of the team)
    Van Buyten - substitute in Bayern Munchen
    Lombaerts - Zenit
    2 GKs - Courtois, Mignolet (main GKs for Atletico Madrid and Liverpool)

I wont even go about the bench which also has

Gillet
    Mertens
    Chadli

Seriously this team just by names can go after WC title. Naturally it is not that easy, but you can see that Belgium has a strong team which will only get better cause these are almost all young as hell lads

5. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    Last time against them was 2 - 2 and it was the Inamoto day.

How many % to face them in december?

6. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Updates:

Mexico with a late fundamental victory against Panama who was also their direct opponent for qualification. Honduras is already qualified but they must be sure that they don't fall in the playoff spot. So they have to get at least a draw in Jamaica (who has had a decent campaign at home) or hope that Mexico doesn't win in Costa Rica.
    If Mexico loses and Panama has a big win against the USA then Mexico is out, but it's very unlikely. Otherwise it will be Mexico in the playoffs against New Zealand.

First African playoffs are also played today.

All set in South America. Brazil (hosts), Argentina, Colombia, Ecuador and Chile are qualified (Unless Chile gets literally destroyed at home by Ecuador). Uruguay will play Jordan to qualify.

7. Whispered11

Whispered11 Member+

U.C. Sampdoria
    Japan
    Oct 4, 2011
    Munich, Germany
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Ecuador and Chile still not qualified. They have a +3 on Uruguay, but at least one of those two will be qualified on Tuesday. Only because Ecuador will face Chile and Uruguay has to beat Argentina. Jordan miracle against Cavani and Suarez?

Plus, let's hope CR7 and Ibra staying home. I hate them.

8. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Oh man, I didn't notice that Ecuador and Chile have the same points! That means they're going to draw, I'd be surprised if they don't!

9. Whispered11

Whispered11 Member+

U.C. Sampdoria
    Japan
    Oct 4, 2011
    Munich, Germany
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Go Iceland, I really support 'em. Just like Ethiopia and Burkina Faso. Plus, I'd like another NZ miracle against (probably) Mexico.

10. Whispered11

Whispered11 Member+

U.C. Sampdoria
    Japan
    Oct 4, 2011
    Munich, Germany
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I hope for a Chile victory and Uruguay trashed Argentina. I bet it with a friend :D

11. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Former Urawa coach Finke is now Cameroon's coach, I had no idea :eek:

12. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Denmark beats Malta and Bulgaria loses at home to Czech Republic. Denmark goes to playoffs.

Romania beats Estonia and Turkey loses at home against the Netherlands. Romania to playoffs.

Iceland draws 1-1 in Norway and Switzerland beats Slovenia. Iceland goes to playoffs and has an historical chance to make it to the World Cup.

A sole goal by Ibisevic means Bosnia qualifies to the WC.

Not over yet, but England winning against Polonia so far

Majster2 repped this.
  13. Blue-San

Blue-San Member+

Jun 21, 2011
    Club:
    Kashima Antlers
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Iceland deserved the qualifiers for their entire campaign preformance. However they will be probably "trashed in the qualifiers.

Ukraine, France, Portugal and Croatia as their possible opponents if I got the seeding right.

edit: omg i didnt. Greece and Sweeden may both be infront of France and Ukraine

Which would mean

Croatia
    Portugal
    Greece
    Sweden

as seeders

I give Iceland chance if they get Greece.

But I wish France to get Greece. Cause I really dont want to watch them in a WC (Greece I mean)

Samurai Warrior repped this.
  14. Whispered11

Whispered11 Member+

U.C. Sampdoria
    Japan
    Oct 4, 2011
    Munich, Germany
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Denmark went nowhere: they're out.

15. SkyPiercer

SkyPiercer Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Algeria
    I hope that Sweden and Portugal won't face each other, I'd like to see both teams in the World Cup. Iceland is, IMO, capable of besting Greece and Ukraine, but they're no match for Portugal or Croatia.

16. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    Marketing stuff: CR7 and Ibrahimovic can really miss the WC? No... They are not Lewandosky, they will be there, probably the same Platini/Blatter would come on the pitch to let them win if things turn bad. Sure.

17. nsato

nsato Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Seeded Countries...

Brazil
    Spain
    Germany
    Argentina
    Belgium
    Switzerland
    Colombia
    Uruguay (Holland if they lose in the play-offs)

18. uhdfkwncvbgtyhu89

Nov 27, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Mexico is out...

Wait, not yet

19. Blue-San

Blue-San Member+

Jun 21, 2011
    Club:
    Kashima Antlers
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Man they are struggling loads as well

Luckily for them CONCACAF or USA or someone must have bribed the FIFA to ensure they have the easiest qualifications in the world.

3 countries straight to WC + one gets to play New Zealand for that last spot

The genious who came up with that must get some kind of prize.

20. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    Why don't they play Conmebol instead of AFC playing them?

21. Whispered11

Whispered11 Member+

U.C. Sampdoria
    Japan
    Oct 4, 2011
    Munich, Germany
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    CONMEBOL shouldn't have the play-off spot. They already have 5 (!) teams to WC: it's half of the squads of their confederation, c'mon. It's ridicolous.

Plus, Mexico was out at 90': then Johansson scored a double. That's a shame: Panama could have been a serious team in this WC.

Now, let's hope in NZ.

And congrats to Honduras: they managed a pretty good qualification.

Closure: Ghana should be already qualified. 6-1 to Egypt.

22. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    Does anybody know what changes did Okada made to the JNT during the WC because I remember that the state of the JNT was also pretty bad before the actual WC, losing to South Korea 2-0, etc. Was it a change in tactics, formation,etc.?

23. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    ... no?

holy SHIT at Mexico anyway. They were out before USA scored two goals in a couple of minutes... oh my god Panama.... what the hell..... that's as worse as Doha's tragedy :D even if they were going to playoffs only

24. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You need to hear the USA goal called on Mexican TV:

25. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member