Official 2013 Big Soccer US Player Draft Picking Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Balerion, Jan 21, 2013.

1. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With their tenth pick, Real Soccer FC selects Josh Williams of the Colombus Crew.

[​IMG]

Williams, almost 25, played most of the Crew's games, alongside fellow Real Soccer FC center back Chad Marshall. Reuniting the pairing was too good of a chance to pass on and thus pushes Geoff Cameron to the CDM spot. Also really good at making people run away from him whenever he jumps up in the air.

------------------------------Guzan---------------------------
    Cherundolo------Williams---------Marshall---------Loyd
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    ----------------------------Cameron--------------------------
    ----Duka------------------------------------------------Davis
    ----------------------------Feilhaber-------------------------
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    -----------------------ST--------------Lenhart---------------

2. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    With its tenth pick, The Darned United selects defender Jalil Anibaba of the Chicago Fire.

[​IMG]

Whether at right back or center back, Anibaba's size and athleticism add another dimension to my back four.

1. Fabian Johnson
    2. Terrence Boyd
    3. Juan Agudelo
    4. Chris Rolfe
    5. Michael Farfan
    6. Brad Evans
    7. Michael Orozco Fiscal
    8. A.J. DeLaGarza
    9. Conor Casey
    10. Jalil Anibaba

3. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I select Bobby Convey

Left-wing, Sporting Kansas City
    Gives me the threat from that side of the field that really balances my midfield out. Is once again fit and with dome unfortunate out-going teandfers for the club, Bobby has thr chance to reclaim his pisition on the team from game 1 of the season. Very happy to grab him here.
    [​IMG]

4. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With our 10th selection in this year's draft, Deportivo Vejete is very pleased to select
    Justin Mapp.
    [​IMG]

A 12 year MLS veteran, Mapp has performed in 248 professional soccer matches and also represented the full USMNT 8 times. Mapp brings excellent field vision, attacking skills and is
    capable of playing in a variety of midfield positions in representing our side. He has registered 49 MLS assists and delivered 20 goals. Mapp was named MLS "Best 11" in 2006.

We are pleased that a player of his caliber fell to us, at this position of the draft

5. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    With my next pick, I am going to continue my trend of good young players with plenty of upside. Pontius, Lade, and Gaven give me a ton of flexibility here as I could get a forward, a left mid, a right mid, or a left back. Regardless, I think there is one player that truly fits in with my general attack which is sort of a dutch style total football with players interchanging and popping up all over.

With my next pick of the US Draft, I am going to select Shea Salinas - MF - San Jose Earthquakes.

[​IMG]

I think he is a perfect fit for my team as his speed on the wings will be helpful. Further, I can't help but truly appreciate his 7 Assists last year in only 11 games started.

So the team:
    1. General Bradley
    2. Super Wondo
    3. Chris PartyBoy Pontius
    4. Eddie The Keeper" Gaven
    5. Perry the Kitchen Sink
    6. Austin "Rookie of the Year" Berry
    7. Jay "The Story" Demerit
    8. You've Got No Chance Myers
    9. Connor "The mighty midget" Lade
    10. Shea "The Marquez career killer" Salinas

soccersubjectively repped this.
  6. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With my next pick, I'll select Marvell Wynne.

[​IMG]

Wynne is a player who has gotten a lot of stick from US fans over the years, but he's developed into a solid MLS center back. He will bring speed and athleticism to the back line and I think will complement a cerebral defender like Besler well.

7. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In what will be my third Rapid in the last four rounds, I select Tony Cascio.

[​IMG]

Cascio is a player who had a respectable rookie season and we'll look to him to build on that in 2013. He'll inject some much-needed speed into my attack.

1. Clint Dempsey
    2. Matt Besler
    3. Will Bruin
    4. Edgar Castillo
    5. Tim Howard
    6. Jeff Larentowicz
    7. Bobby Wood
    8. Nick LaBrocca
    9. Sean Franklin
    10. Marvell Wynne
    11. Tony Cascio

8. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    With the next pick of the US Draft, I am truthfully at a crossroads debating whether I nab a Goalkeeper I want right now or wait a couple of rounds and just nab someone later in the draft. However, this draft is about having some fun so again, I am going to take a player that I really like here. Looking at my draft board, I honestly think there are four/five players who I consider at this tier position wise. One player is off the board and I believe the other three/four will likely be picked before it gets back to me. So I am going to grab my 'keeper now rather than risk it.

With the next pick of the US Draft, I select another relatively young player who continues to improve. I select Tally Hall, Gk - Houston Dynamo.

[​IMG]

Let's start with some basics, he's 27 and he is coming off what is arguably his best year. He got a deserved look with the national team in January and I honestly think he showed in the playoffs yet again that he should be the next goalkeeper off the board. I also think quite frankly that J. Klinsmann is completely wrong. One of the first roles of a 'keeper is to do no harm and I don't know how you can watch Olympic Qualifying and the MLS Playoffs last year and have Johnson ahead of Hall.

So the team:
    1. General Bradley
    2. Super Wondo
    3. Chris PartyBoy Pontius
    4. Eddie The Keeper" Gaven
    5. Perry the Kitchen Sink
    6. Austin "Rookie of the Year" Berry
    7. Jay "The Story" Demerit
    8. You've Got No Chance Myers
    9. Connor "The mighty midget" Lade
    10. Shea "The Marquez career killer" Salinas
    11. Tally "The Wall" Hall

9. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm in agreement with MLSNHTOWN's comments in the discussion forum that picking these players and teams should be fun, and so in that spirit, Deportivo Vejete selects a promising attacking midfielder to complement our team and expand our offensive options:

Carlos Alvarez

Midfielder for Chivas USA

[​IMG]

Born in California, Alvarez was the Big East Midfielder of the Year in 2012, a multiple time All Big East selection, former Conference Rookie of the Year, and scored 7 goals and 9 assists for UCONN during his senior year. The MLS writeup has this to say about the rookie:

Very good possession player and unlocks things ... Smooth with his feet and good if he has guys to play off of … Great vision and really good soccer player ... He's a good player, shows up, serves ball well. Attacking center midfielder who does a pretty good job defensively ... Good passer ... Has a pro mentality ... Great feet, great technique and great ability to change a match ... Has a passion and love for the game ... Can play underneath as an attacking midfielder or as a third midfielder in a 4-5-1.

That is exactly the kind of player who will compliment our offense, giving us options off the bench to move players around and try different lineups when needed. With the MLS success that Tony Cascio had last year, as another UCONN grad, and that rookie attacking mid Luis Silva had, we are excited to add Carlos Alvarez, a skillfull, 22 year old playmaker, to our midfield.

1. Landon Donovan
    2. Eddie Johnson
    3. Maurice Edu
    4. Alejandro Bedoya
    5. Alan Gordon
    6. Ricardo Clark
    7. Tim Ream
    8. Zak Whitbread
    9. Seth Sinovic
    10. Justin Mapp
    11. Carlos Alvarez

10. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I select the bet American Goalkeeper in MLS:

Dan Kennedy

Chivas USA

[​IMG]

MLS All-star this past year. He's a total beast. Sure, there were other options here, younger ones with more long-term upside, but Kennedy is only entering his prime at his position at age 30 this year. Once Hall came off the board, this was th eonly GK I was after. I expect another strong year from him, and God knows, if Chelis can do in 2013 what Bob Bradley did for Chivas in 2006, this pick will look total genius come year's end.

------------------------Kennedy-----------------------

-Lichaj---------Onyewu------Parke------------Ashe-

----------------------Beckerman----------------------

---Rogers--------------Torres---------------Convey---

-----------------Altidore--------Bunbury---------------

Now, onto the bench!

11. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    With its eleventh pick, The Darned United selects dmid/defender Andrew Farrell of the New England Revolution.

[​IMG]

Extremely tough choice here. Farrell is young and inexperienced, and he doesn't even have a position yet, but in the real draft, he's the guy everyone seemed to want at #1. Worth a shot.

1. Fabian Johnson
    2. Terrence Boyd
    3. Juan Agudelo
    4. Chris Rolfe
    5. Michael Farfan
    6. Brad Evans
    7. Michael Orozco Fiscal
    8. A.J. DeLaGarza
    9. Conor Casey
    10. Jalil Anibaba
    11. Andrew Farrell

12. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With their 11th pick, Real Soccer FC takes Andrew Wooten of 1. FC Kaiserslautern.

[​IMG]

Wooten is in the 2.Bungelisa league and is getting around 60 minutes a game with his loan team and has been in the USA picture for the past couple years. Young and good at aerobics, apparently.

------------------------------Guzan---------------------------
    Cherundolo-----Williams---------Marshall---------Loyd
    ----------------------------Cameron--------------------------
    ----Duka------------------------------------------------Davis
    ----------------------------Feilhaber-------------------------
    ------------------Wooten---------------Lenhart------------

13. MI-Soccerfan

MI-Soccerfan Member+

Jan 19, 2012
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will select Aj Soares
    \[​IMG]

AJ is a good center back that with a good season could work himself in to the national team picture. He will pair well next to Goodson and give Packwood time to heal up

14. Harper916

Harper916 Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Lake Charles, La.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With my next pick in the draft, I select:

Kofi Sarkodie

[​IMG]

After a slow start to his Dynamo career, Kofi won the starting right back spot mid way through last season and looked very good throughout the end of the season and in the playoffs. I initially had Morales as my right back, but with Sarkodie, I have a true right back that can provide my team with width and speed coming from the back. Happy to have him.

1. Graham Zusi
    2. Stuart Holden
    3. Dax McCarty
    4. CJ Sapong
    5. George John
    6. Heath Pearce
    7. Alfredo Morales
    8. Lee Nguyen
    9. Robbie Findley
    10. Chris Schuler
    11. Kofi Sarkodie

15. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With my 11th pick I select...

[​IMG]

Bill Hamid

1. Danny Williams
    2. Herculez Gomez
    3. Carlos Bocanegra
    4. Michael Parkhurst
    5. Kelyn Rowe
    6. Davy Arnaud
    7. Jack McInerney
    8. Tony Beltran
    9. Jack Jewbury
    10. Brandon McDonald
    11. Bill Hamid

16. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy potato !!!! Yay no one picked him!

My next pick is Zarek Valentin.
    [​IMG]

I'm not home. I'll post his bio a little later.

17. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    With my next pick I select Lamar Neagle.

[​IMG]

Back with Seattle, I could see Neagle having another good year. Talented, versatile (can play wide or as a forward), and with a great shot, Neagle scored 5 goals in just 1000 minutes with the Sounders in 2011 and has recorded 7 goals and 4 assists in a 2100 minute MLS career.

18. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    With my 11th pick I select Omar Salgado

[​IMG]

Omar is a speedy, 6'4 forward with a great left foot. The former #1 pick was playing well as a winger last yr before he got injured, and if he can stay healthy this year I think he could have a big season

SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  19. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    And with my 12th I pick Gyasi Zardes

[​IMG]

If he hadn't signed with Los Angeles he probably would've been the #1 pick in the superdraft. With Beckham, Buddle, Wilhelmsonn and possibly Donovan gone, many think that Gyasi could step in and become a starter right away for LA.

20. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    With my 12th pick I select Brian Mullan.

[​IMG]

Mullan adds a great veteran presence to my team. With 5 MLS Cups, 307 games, 29 goals, and 56 assists, Mullan is an MLS mainstay. Brian had a strong 2012 season, tallying 2 goals and 7 assists for the Rapids and showing that despite his advancing age he can still be a big contributor.

21. AutoPenalti

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Next pick, I select Fabian Hürzeler.

[​IMG]
    Four games into his first full season as a starter with FC Bayern's reserve team, American-born Fabian Hürzeler is giving it his all in what will be a crucial year for his future.

Even though he had made isolated cameos with the reserve team of the German giants in the previous season, the start of the 2012-13 term has seen the Houston-born Hürzeler firmly lock down a spot in the starting eleven.

This comes at a pivotal point in his career, as he is entering the final year of his current contract, and will potentially have a huge decision ahead of him heading into next summer.

He made a brief appearance in German colors late last year, playing 60 minutes with the U-19 team against Egypt in a substitute role, but does not see himself in the team's plans.

"I haven't told them I won't play anymore," he clarifies, "but it was the last [time] that I played and the German trainer hasn't called me back again."

He still remains completely open to once again donning the US uniform if current coach Tab Ramos gives him a call, and his regular appearances with the Bayern reserves combined with the progression of the current U-20 cycle towards next spring's World Cup qualification tournament could provide the opening.

"It was a nice time in the US, I really enjoyed it," he reiterates about his brief spell in 2011 with the team, adding "I don't have any contact with Klinsmann, but I'm open to both possibilities."

22. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Hürzeler is eligible based on what we agreed in the Treaty of Johannsson.

Hürzeler is provisionally cap-tied to Germany from his U-17 days and would need to file a one-time switch in order to play for the US.

23. AutoPenalti

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I already discussed this with Mr Martin and he so far allowed me to post until Maximum Optimal comes into agreement.

24. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suggested you post it as a request during your turn, to see if others had a more firm grasp on if he had indeed filed his 1-time switch paperwork with FIFA. It seems pretty clear that he needs to do so, but I have no idea if he has.

The 12-hour time slot expires at about 4pm eastern time (USA game!). If Autopenalti wants too replace Huerzeler he may do so at any time, since unless someone can show that he filed his 1-time switch, the kid isn't eligible. But at 4pm Eastern time, the next team may pick, too.

25. AutoPenalti

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ben Zemanski is my replacement.

[​IMG]