Official 2013 Big Soccer US Player Draft Picking Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Balerion, Jan 21, 2013.

1. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With whatever pick it is in the 6th round Real Soccer FC selects Brad Guzan of Aston Villa.

[​IMG]

Guzan is a budding goalkeeper waiting to take the starting spot from Tim Howard for the US men's team. Guzan has shown a his goalkeeping prowess in general shot stopping ability as well as keeping solid composure in awkward situations (tough angles, 8-0 losses...). Also has a nice sense of humor, so I hear.

2. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    With its sixth pick, The Darned United selects midfielder/defender Brad Evans of the Seattle Sounders.

[​IMG]

Evans is a workhorse with a good all-around skill set. I'm not sure where he'll play for my team, but he always manages to fit in somewhere.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  3. StarsAndStripesFan

Oct 25, 2009
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sean... sent me his pick last night. Sorry, I also fell asleep and couldn't pick last night :)

He selects:

Teal Bunbury

Mr Martin and Balerion repped this.
  4. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

With selection number 70 in this year's draft Deportivo Vejetes select Ricardo Clark, the highly experienced veteran and central midfielder for the Houston Dynamo.

We believe he will give us an unusual athletic combination with Maurice Edu that will allow a substantial amount of attacking up front and bombing down the wings. These two cover a lot of ground and take no prisoners.

His 34 caps for the USA, World and Confederations Cup appearances and 3 goals in the USA shirt speak for themselves. We are thrilled that a player of this caliber and ability was remaining on the board.

5. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    With the next pick of the US Draft, I am going to go with my theme of young up and coming players v. old guys that are good. Looking over my board, there is good depth at this position still, but I really really think he is a player that is a step above the talent left on the board. So I am going to select the 2012 MLS Rookie of the Year. (I would have given it to DeLeon, but there is no doubt he had one of the best years for a Rookie last year).

I select Austin Berry - CB - Chicago Fire.

[​IMG]

He led all of MLS last year in Clearances, blocks, and interceptions and with a full year of MLS under his belt, I think he is going to take a step forward and make a case for a spot with the Gold Cup.

The team:
    1. General Bradley
    2. Super Wondo
    3. Chris PartyBoy Pontius
    4. Eddie The Keeper" Gaven
    5. Perry the Kitchen Sink
    6. Austin "Rookie of the Year" Berry

6. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After five rounds, my team still doesn't have any central midfielders and it's time to change that even if my fellow draftees insist on repeatedly launching runs on CMs just before my picks. (Grr...). Nonetheless, it's the last pick of the sixth round, so I think Jeff Larentowicz is a pretty solid value at this point.

[​IMG]

Larentowicz will give my team defensive bite in the midfield and he's also known to contribute the odd goal or two from long range.

1. Clint Dempsey
    2. Matt Besler
    3. Will Bruin
    4. Edgar Castillo
    5. Tim Howard
    6. Jeff Larentowicz

7. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point in the draft, I'm willing to get a little speculative and start taking some risks. So without further ado, I'll take Bobby Wood.

[​IMG]

Wood is probably a bit of an overdraft, but he's a player that I personally enjoy rooting for, so what the hell. His career was nearly left for dead six months ago, but after signing a reserve team contract he's come all the way back to 1860's starting lineup. He's inexperienced, but he offers size, skill, and decent speed. Wood can be used in several roles up top, having also played on the right of a 4-2-3-1 in Munich. On my team, he will play off Will Bruin.

His career is back on track and he only just turned 20. If he continues to make progress in 2013, he'll justify a selection at this juncture.

1. Clint Dempsey
    2. Matt Besler
    3. Will Bruin
    4. Edgar Castillo
    5. Tim Howard
    6. Jeff Larentowicz
    7. Bobby Wood

8. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    I am going to do what I think is best and solidify my defense now before the CB run starts. Since I have a relatively young team, I am going to need a veteran to play the Captain role. In the history of US Soccer, there are very few who have a better story. I select Jay Demerit - CB - Vancouver.

[​IMG]

While he is on the outside looking in for a US National Team spot, last year he put in a very solid and very reputable MLS performance that netted him plenty of mentions for Best XI considerations (made 2nd or 3rd teams). There are other options at CB that are a little younger, but I need leadership with my young pups and Demerit is the best leader left on the board.

While I think I could still get a good CB here next round, with 2o+ picks, I expect there to be a huge drop off on who is available then. Defense wins Championships and it is going to be very, very difficult to get through the spine of my team.

The team:
    1. General Bradley
    2. Super Wondo
    3. Chris PartyBoy Pontius
    4. Eddie The Keeper" Gaven
    5. Perry the Kitchen Sink
    6. Austin "Rookie of the Year" Berry
    7. Jay "The Story" Demerit

9. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With our 7th Round selection, #75 overall, Deportivo Vejete are pleased to take:

Tim Ream

Tim has recently returned to the starting lineup for Bolton, earning good reviews over the last few weeks. Said the hometown Bolton News: “Wanderers had to do a lot of defending, with Tim Ream particularly outstanding in the middle.” Together with the return of his teammate, Stu Holden, things are looking up for the Wanderers and for Tim Ream in 2013.

Ream provides us with a smooth passing 25 year old CB just entering his prime playing years, with EPL and international experience already on his resume.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apologies for the extra post, but I forgot to list our teams's picks to date, and now I missed my chance to edit that post. Deportivo Vejete through 7 Rounds:

1. Landon Donovan
    2. Eddie Johnson
    3. Maurice Edu
    4. Alejandro Bedoya
    5. Alan Gordon
    6. Ricardo Clark
    7. Tim Ream

11. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was totally torn on this pick between two outstanding CBs, one youthful but already a statement maker in MLS, and one more experienced, reliable and consistent, and right now, probably better. This is the pick which defines my draft ethos. Although long-term, defender B may turn out the better one, due to base talent, this draft i for 2013, and in 2013, Defender A is still the better player, should have a better year and really, that's what it's all about. I select:

Jeff Parke

Philadelphia Union

[​IMG]

Shores up the center of my defense. I've always rated Parke highly, I think he is one of the best defenders in MLS. He really has it all, athleticism, strength, aerial power, good with the ball at his feet, distribution and deceivingly fast. I'm very happy to finally be able to get him in one of these drafts, and in round 7 I get a perennial defender of the year candidate.

Round 1: Jozy Altidore
    Round 2: Jose Francisco Torres
    Round 3: Kyle Beckerman
    Round 4: Oguchi Onyewu
    Round 5: Eric Lichaj
    Round 6: Teal Bunbury
    Round 7: Jeff Parke

12. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    With its seventh pick, The Darned United selects defender Michael Orozco Fiscal of Puebla FC

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Orozco is one of very few players that you can put anywhere across the back four and get a performance that's not far off of the national team level. And the pictures speak for themselves.

1. Fabian Johnson
    2. Terrence Boyd
    3. Juan Agudelo
    4. Chris Rolfe
    5. Michael Farfan
    6. Brad Evans
    7. Michael Orozco Fiscal

13. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the sixth pick of the seventh round and 78th overall pick, Real Soccer FC selects Zach Loyd of FC Dallas.

[​IMG]

Loyd gives Real Soccer FC a strong attacking left side with Brad Davis as well as a solid backline with Geoff Cameron and Steve Cherundolo. Loyd has garnered interest from both Bob Bradley and Klinsmann and is entering his fourth season in the MLS. Also he's really good at waving while falling down.

deuteronomy repped this.
  14. MI-Soccerfan

MI-Soccerfan Member+

Jan 19, 2012
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My team is in need of a forward presence so in the 7th round we will select

[​IMG]

Edson Buddle

We are counting on a healthy rebound season for Buddle this year. He fits perfectly into what we are looking for out of our striker. He can hold up play and link with teammates, but he is also able to find the back of the net. We feel like this is the selection that will define our team.

We have been watching him slip down the board and have been waiting to pull the trigger on him and we believe now is the time. The hope is that he regains the form that made him a 2nd round pick last year.

15. Harper916

Harper916 Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Lake Charles, La.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With my next pick in the draft, I select:

Alfredo Morales

[​IMG]

I'm happy to pick the newly capped Morales. I was able to see him in person at the US/Canada game the other night and even though he didn't get much time, I was impressed with his play at the d mid spot. For me, I get a player that can play either that d mid role, or right back.

1. Graham Zusi
    2. Stuart Holden
    3. Dax McCarty
    4. CJ Sapong
    5. George John
    6. Heath Pearce
    7. Alfredo Morales

16. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With my 7th pick I select...

[​IMG]\

Davy Arnaud

1. Danny Williams
    2. Herculez Gomez
    3. Carlos Bocanegra
    4. Michael Parkhurst
    5. Kelyn Rowe
    6. Jack McInerney
    7. Davy Arnaud

17. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the 8th pick, I select Sean Johnson

[​IMG]

Sorry I'm on my phone.

18. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    With the 11th pick in the 7th round (#83 overall), I select Nat Borchers

[​IMG]

Big, strong CB. Has been a key player in a strong RSL defense for years, including in a championship 2009 season. With 3 caps and hundreds of games in two countries under his belt, Borchers brings a seasoned veteran presence in the heart of the defense and I'm happy to add him to my team.

19. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    With my 7th pick I select Andrew Wenger

[​IMG]

The striker pool is getting really thin, and I'm hoping Wenger can live up to that potential that made him the #1 pick in last years draft and have a breakout year. He had a nice rookie season and scored 4 goals but missed some time and came off the bench for much of the season while battling a hamstring injury and finishing school. According to his coach he can also play just about any position on the field

20. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    And with my 8th pick I select Steven Beitashour

[​IMG]

I'm happy to get arguably the best right back in the MLS over the past couple seasons. Steve is a solid defender who provides excellent service from out wide. He and Gatt should be a nice combo on the right.

Picks:
    1. Omar Gonzalez
    2. Josh Gatt
    3. Aron Johannsonn
    4. Nick DeLeon
    5. Luis Silva
    6. Amobi Okugo
    7. Andrew Wenger
    8. Steven Beitashour

21. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    With the 2nd pick of the 8th round (86th overall) I select Bobby Boswell.

[​IMG]

An ever-present feature of a consistently stingy Dynamo defense, Boswell is a strong CB who has helped his team to back-to-back MLS Cup finals. With two Supporter's Shields, an MLS Best XI selection, an MLS Defender of the Year award, and hundreds of games of MLS experience under his belt, Boswell adds a wealth of experience and talent to my team.

22. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Next pick, I select Rubio Rubin

[​IMG]

A promising striker coming out of the youth academy of Portland, Rubin has been dominating the U-17 scoring goals and tallying assists, he is a prospect that I have been closely following at the U-17 national team and at the Portland Timbers, a striker that I highly need, I'll gladly have on my team.

23. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With my 8th pick I select...

[​IMG]
    Tony Beltran

1. Danny Williams
    2. Herculez Gomez
    3. Carlos Bocanegra
    4. Michael Parkhurst
    5. Kelyn Rowe
    6. Jack McInerney
    7. Davy Arnaud
    8. Tony Beltran

24. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tony Beltran looks kind of like Javier Morales...

Sean... repped this.
  25. Harper916

Harper916 Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Lake Charles, La.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With my next pick in the draft, I select:

Lee Nguyen

On my phone so no pic. Lee's first season in MLS last year was fairly successful. Even though New England didn't make the playoffs, Lee showed a lot of quality and I believe was voted the Revolutions MVP. He's a skillful, versatile attacking mid, that can play on the wings or in the middle. Happy to have him.