Official 2013 Big Soccer US Player Draft Picking Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Balerion, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    With its fourth pick and pick #44 overall, The Darned United selects Chris Rolfe of the Chicago Fire, and not for his aerial skills.

[​IMG]

Rolfe is a creative sparkplug, which is something my team needs, and an accomplished one, at that. After returning to MLS last summer, he took over the reins of the Fire offense and made them a better team. I really like this guy's game, which is why I'm taking him in spite of his tendency to struggle with injuries. At age 30, he's not getting any younger, and I'm hoping he doesn't start to lose a step, because doing everything quickly is what his game is all about.

He can line up in any number of positions, but right now he looks slated for the right side of my midfield.

1. Fabian Johnson
    2. Terrence Boyd
    3. Juan Agudelo
    4. Chris Rolfe

2. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First defensive pick:

Oguchi Onyewu

Malaga CF

[​IMG]

After having a nice forward/midfield selection so far, time to get onto the backline, and I'm adding a vastly experienced center-back. Gooch is still one of our best.

Round 1: Jozy Altidore
    Round 2: Jose Francisco Torres
    Round 3: Kyle Beckerman
    Round 4: Oguchi Onyewu

3. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Team Deportivo Vejetes is very pleased to announce our latest selection:

With pick number 46 in the fourth round we select Alejandro Bedoya.

[​IMG]

Bedoya is a great and creative attacking player. He offers a unique versatility in our midfield.

He is a USA veteran, having first been called up in December 2009.
    He comes from an unusual soccer background in that both his father and grandfather played professionally in Columbia.

Currently training with the Camp Strudel candidates, he is weighing his next option in his club career:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/27/s...he-next-stop-in-his-soccer-odyssey.html?_r=1&

Mr. Martin and myself are both surprised and pleased that a player of this caliber has fallen to us.
    We are excited about our team:
    1. Landon Donovan
    2. Eddie Johnson
    3. Maurice Edu
    4. Alejandro Bedoya

4. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    Been debating for about an hour now about who to take with my next pick.....I finally settled on the guy that I think best fits with my team. With the next pick of the US Draft, I am going to take the next player who I just really enjoy watching play day in and day out. I think he is going to partner great with my team as once again he is relatively good in the air, has great vision and can score goals. While some of his teammates got a lot of run for his team taking off over the last half of the season, I think he played a huge part of his team's improved form, but his form in MLS has been pretty consistent as well and he plays a thin position for this draft.....

So with the next pick, I am going to select --- Eddie Gaven - MF - Columbus Crew.

Additional benefits - he can play goalkeeper in a pinch. He may be the only field player in MLS who has racked up a save of the week and I believe is still the youngest 'keeper to play in MLS history.

[​IMG]

The team:
    1. General Bradley
    2. Super Wondo
    3. Chris PartyBoy Pontius
    4. Eddie The Keeper" Gaven

soccersubjectively repped this.
  5. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the last pick of the fourth round, I select Edgar Castillo.

[​IMG]

Castillo has gotten his career back on track in Tijuana after an ill-fated move from Santos Laguna to Club America. Just south of the border, Castillo has locked down the left back slot and lifted the 2012 Apertura crown with the Xolos. Meanwhile, his national team prospects have improved and he's been a regular member of the squad, backing up Fabian Johnson.

1. Clint Dempsey
    2. Matt Besler
    3. Will Bruin
    4. Edgar Castillo

6. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's time to break the seal.

In the fifth round, I select Tim Howard.

[​IMG]

Decent goalkeepers are relatively abundant and they always go lower than any other position in the draft. However, I think that at this point in the draft the top goalkeeper is a good value, so I'm pulling the trigger.

1. Clint Dempsey
    2. Matt Besler
    3. Will Bruin
    4. Edgar Castillo
    5. Tim Howard

7. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    Tough choices on the return pick as I know 20ish or so players are coming off the board between now and my next pick. Looking over the picks, he may have made it back to me in 20 or so picks, but I just don't want to risk it. There is definitely some depth at his position still on the board, but the youth and upside make me think he may put together a Best XI performance next year in MLS. Regardless, I am going to stick with my strategy --- young, lots of upside, and has the potential to have an even better 2013. So with the next pick of the USMNT draft, I am going to select DC United - MF - Perry Kitchen.

[​IMG]

I needed a partner in crime in my central midfield for Bradley. I think Kitchen will do all the dirty work freeing up Pontius, Bradley, Gaven, and Wondo to attack at will. He is also good in the air. more than capable of contributing on set pieces, and has very good vision for a deeper midfielder. If needed, he can also fill in at the back as well.

The team:
    1. General Bradley
    2. Super Wondo
    3. Chris PartyBoy Pontius
    4. Eddie The Keeper" Gaven
    5. Perry Kitchen

8. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the 51st pick of the 2013 US Player Draft, Deportivo Vejete reunites the heros of the last-gasp US victory over Antigua by selecting

Alan Gordon

[​IMG]

The veteran target striker is coming off his best season ever, scoring 13 goals and adding 7 assists. He also is on Klinsi's radar for whenever a big man is needed for crashing the box in those CONCACAF battles.

On the twin theories that big target men are late-bloomers (see Brian McBride), and that you can never have enough players able to put the ball into the net, we are pleased to add one of the few remaining quality forwards on the draft board.

And boy can he elevate that 6'3" frame!

1. Landon Donovan
    2. Eddie Johnson
    3. Mo Edu
    4. Alejandro Bedoya
    5. Alan Gordon

9. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eric Lichaj

Aston Villa

[​IMG]

Very happy to add the talented and still young full-back to my ranks. Give me current EPL experience, a great engine, good defensive skills and adventurous in getting forward. Everything I need in an outide defender.

Round 1: Jozy Altidore
    Round 2: Jose Francisco Torres
    Round 3: Kyle Beckerman
    Round 4: Oguchi Onyewu
    Round 5: Eric Lichaj

10. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    With its fifth pick and pick number 53 overall, The Darned United selects Mid Michael Farfan of the Philadelphia Union.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finalist for rookie of the year in 2011, and his role grew considerably in 2012

He can play out wide, but I like him smack-dab in the middle, where his quickness, skill and vision have the most impact. Surprisingly tough, as well.

1. Fabian Johnson
    2. Terrence Boyd
    3. Juan Agudelo
    4. Chris Rolfe
    5. Michael Farfan

11. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With its fifth pick and 54th overall, Real Soccer FC selects striker Steven Lenhart of the San Jose Earthquakes.

[​IMG]

Despite his hair proceeding his skill in fame, Lenhart is an excellent aerial threat as the core of his game is built of his athleticism. The striker knows how to fight for the ball in the box and provides his team with a spark of energy to snatch back points in the final minutes. While Lenhart is a bit one-dimensional, it's the fifth round so we're okay with that.

12. MI-Soccerfan

MI-Soccerfan Member+

Jan 19, 2012
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With my 5th round selection we will continue our theme of versatility and select

[​IMG]

Jonathan Spector

Spector is a veteran who has had an up and down career in England from the highs of playing for Man United to fighting in the championship. It is unusual for a player who is only 26 to bring so much experience to a team. He is a steady player who can play all across the back line and also at defensive mid.

We expect to slot him at at one of the full back spots where he will be able to deliver balls to our attacking players and show off some of those attacking skills from his early days as a forward. Defensively he is a smart player, who positions himself well and doesn't make costly mistakes. Not sure how he fits into the national team picture, but there are very few players with the experience or the resume at the club level that he has

13. Harper916

Harper916 Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Lake Charles, La.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With my next pick in the draft, I select:

George John

Sorry, on my phone and don't have time to post a picture, but I'm a really big fan of his and expect a big year from him for FC Dallas.

14. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the 9th pick of the 5th round I select...[​IMG]

Brad Davis.

The veteran wing for the Houston Dynamo. One of the best and most consistent wings in MLS and I'm thrilled to have him on my squad.

1. Danny Wiliams
    2. Herculez Gomez
    3. Carlos Bocangra
    4. Michael Parkhurst
    5. Brad Davis

15. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct. I just sent Sebasour a message.

16. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oops my mistake, I apologize. I guess I should of realized snagging Davis this late was too good to be true well with my re- I select I go with...

[​IMG]

Kelyn Rowe

The young 21 year old New England mid. I think he has a great future ahead of him and I think even at this age is a solid mid. I also checked the boards he has not been picked yet

17. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I select, with the 10th pick of the 5th round....

Benji Joya
    [​IMG]

Joya has made steady progress with Santos, making several first-team appearances during the just-concluded 2012 Apertura. Joya is versatile enough to play either wing. He's very good possession-wise. He holds the ball very well, he is one of those guys who has a great engine. He can run all day long. He has a future with the senior team, and could feature after the U-20's.

18. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    With my 5th round pick I select..

[​IMG]

Luis Silva

Despite not having much help at TFC, as a rookie Luis scored 5 goals and had 5 assists and was a standout player. Already one of the best attacking mids in the MLS, Silva is a playmaker with good passing vision and finishing ability. He can also play a few different attacking positions. Imo pretty good value

19. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    and with my 6th I select Amobi Okugo (on my phone)

SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  20. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    With my 5th pick I select Justin Morrow.

[​IMG]

Fast, strong, and a good defender, I'm happy to get Morrow at this point. With the Earthquakes, he has also often shown to be surprisingly good going forward and seems to get better all the time. In his first season as a starter, Morrow found himself on the MLS All-Star team and has put himself in the national team picture. With only one year as a starter under his belt, I expect he'll only continue to get better with more experience.

21. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    With my 6th pick I select Sam Cronin.

[​IMG]

Sam quietly worked in the heart of the Earthquakes' midfield as they won the Supporter's Shield last season and was consistently solid in his performances. A smart box-to-box midfielder with a good "engine" and a good pass, Cronin primarily supports the defense and links play, but is constantly improving as a decisive passer in the final third as well (as evidenced by his 6 assists in 2012). Called up by Bob Bradley for the 2009 Gold Cup, I would not be surprised to see Cronin back in the national team picture in the future.

22. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    7th pick

Joe Gyau

[​IMG]

A promising pacey player, Gyau can play left wing with pace, currently playing for St. Pauli, on loan from Hoffenheim.

23. Harper916

Harper916 Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Lake Charles, La.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well it's been 12 hours since the last pick, so I'm up now.

With my next pick in the draft, I select:

Heath Pearce

[​IMG]

Heath gives me a quality defender who can play left back or center back. Personally, I wouldn't mind him getting some call ups in the future. Even though Fabian Johnson has the left back spot locked down, I think Pearce's experience and versatility could come in handy and provide the nats with a solid back up option. I'm interested to see where Petke lines him up for NYRB this season.

24. MI-Soccerfan

MI-Soccerfan Member+

Jan 19, 2012
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will select Conor O'brien

[​IMG]

Conor O'Brien gives us another solid player in the middle of the field. He is a playmaker who also has a great long distant shot. Conor just signed with Danish superliga champion FC Nordsjælland.

We feel O'brien, Jones, and Kljestan give us an extremely solid midfield. Which to us controlling the middle of the field is the key to winning games

My team:
    Jermaine Jones
    Sacha Kljestan
    Joe Corona
    Clarence Goodson
    Jonathan Spector
    Conor O'Brien

25. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM